Modding request

Borg

Chieftain
I have no modding skills whatsoever and I was wondering if somebody could help me make the following modification.

Currently, "life mana" is unlocked by the divination tech, while it is needed for the Alteration Tower...?
Is this on purpose or is this a mistake ?
All other towers can be build with the mana sources they unlock.

So, I would like to move "Life mana" to Alteration ( from Divination )
and "Force Mana" to Divination ( from Alteration )

Can somebody tell me how to do that ?
It may be nothing more than a simple copy/paste of certain script into another part of the script ( I think, no ? )
Could you tell me the path where this info is stored/found ?

Thanks for the help.

I think it is set in Resourceinfos.xml (or something like that, not at my civ-computer right now). If so, find the resource (in this case Life Mana) and change Divination to Alteration at the apropriate line, probably called techEnable or something along those lines. Make a backup of the .xml-file first if you are unsure. Also, this might not affect games already in progress or might make them behave oddly, I don't know what you can get away with in the case of xml-modding.

You don't actually want to change what technology unlocks the resource, but rather what technology unlocks the ability to build the node that gives you access to the resource.

What you want to edit is C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2\Assets\XML\Units\CIV4BuildInfos.xml.
Go down to <Type>BUILD_MANA_LIFE</Type> and change <PrereqTech>TECH_DIVINATION</PrereqTech> to <PrereqTech>TECH_ALTERATION</PrereqTech>.

Resources themselves can be unlocked by technologies, but FfH does not use this for mana. The file that handles this is C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2\Assets\XML\Terrain\CIV4BonusInfos.xml.
<TechReveal> is the technology needed for the resource to be visible on the map, and <TechCityTrade> allows you to get access to the resource through an improvement capable of harvesting it. For the mana resources this is is currently set to NONE, which unlocks them from the start of the game. If you put a technology here you would limit players to accessing only the mana provided by their palaces until they research the appropriate technologies.

Thanks Magister, found it.

I made the change and tried to save it but couldn't as I had " no access "

How can I get access ?

I looked for the force node to change as well , but that doesn't seem to be in that folder ?
Any idea where I can find and change that ?

Thanks for your help.

do you run under win 7?

if yes you need to run the editor you use to modify the xml files as an administrator.

Thanks, Tesb.
This is all new for me, so it takes alittle searching, but I had found this out already.
Change is made.

I'm going to start up a game to see if the change was implemented.

I'm still looking to change Force mana
and increase the width of the columns in the F1 screen ( see other thread )

If you can help me on these subjets, much appreciated.

the screens are drawn in python. you have to look in assets/python/screens

that is all i can say to this topic, i am not familiar with python stuff.

Thanks all, you've been most helpful.

I've been reading up on XML and Python a bit the last few days and things are starting to make sense. The modding is working :)

Top Bottom