Altering asset files in Steam folder doesn't work?

Ankorafeonix

Chieftain
Hello!

I always hate my first post to be nagging question, but I'm stuck! I've looked everywhere and surprisingly can't find any solutions on google or civ5 sites for the same issue.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=428728

Firstly, I want to add more players to Hot Seat - my girlfriend and I play for a bit each night and 10 opponents isn't enough - we both want a sweeping epic gameplay. I read this solution which says simply to alter the CIV5Worlds.xml file in steam/steam-apps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/assets/Gameplay/XML/Gameinfo, and I've altered the correct line to 22 for default players in a Huge map.

Yet when I load the game (through Steam of course), I go into Hot Seat and nothing has changed.

I know it's not just related to Hot Seat either - when I got rather frustrated in one game I attempted to make citizens only cost 0.5 happiness, and yet it didn't work. I'm not surprised, since Steam Achievements would be easy if we could just change anything. But people say that they have had success with this, even on Steam, so finally my question:

TL;DR - How can I modify the civ 5 asset file in a way that Steam will let me use it? I don't care if it disables Steam Achievements.

Thanks for any help!

Gods & Kings btw!

The thread is labeled G&K, but you're trying to modify the vanilla files. I don't know if what you're doing will work (why not just add AI civs through the Advanced Setup Options screen?), but you need to dive into the G&K "Expansion" files, which are located under the DLC folder.

Ah, it's brilliant! Thank you very much, took me 3 seconds to find the DLC folder.

There's no advanced setup for Hot Seat that I can see.

Thanks again :) can close this thread now

Top Bottom