Byzantine lobby for civ5

It looks good ;), nice job.

No offense, but those are some very fine looking tents for a bunch of barbarians...

Baklava :) Maybe icons. Multiple grain types, olives, glassware? Silk's already in of course.

Am I the only one who thinks the ''Byzantines'' should just be rolled into the Roman Civ? I mean, it's like adding in a separate civ for medieval Rome.

They were the continuation of Rome, at least up to a period, but they had:

A different Capital
A different language
A different culture (fussion of Roman and Greek)

So i guess they are a seperate civ. To me it makes more of an argument to have them as seperate from Greece, but the civ engine does not allow for such "nation" transformation as it is ;)

Am I the only one who thinks the ''Byzantines'' should just be rolled into the Roman Civ? I mean, it's like adding in a separate civ for medieval Rome.
You are not the only one, but those who agree with you have a poor understanding of history.

They were the continuation of Rome, at least up to a period, but they had:

A different Capital
A different language
A different culture (fussion of Roman and Greek)

So i guess they are a seperate civ. To me it makes more of an argument to have them as seperate from Greece, but the civ engine does not allow for such "nation" transformation as it is ;)
Old China has..

A different Capital
A different language(Albeit well maintained)
A different culture, as it was fused with many many different cultures that now make up the singular 'China' of today.

Though my dislike of the idea is mainly rooted in the fact that they will be called ''Byzantine'', and I like Byzantium as a civ a lot more than Holy Rome.

I guess the best thing would have been for civ5 to have civs that evolve, and then you could have Greece as the Roman empire in medieval times. :)

People here still call themselves Romioi (Romans), alongside with Hellenes.

But then again, after seeing the dreadfull Hagia Sophia in civ4, i'd rather they didnt butcher the empire, and let modders create it! :D

I guess the best thing would have been for civ5 to have civs that evolve, and then you could have Greece as the Roman empire in medieval times. :)

People here still call themselves Romioi (Romans), alongside with Hellenes.

But then again, after seeing the dreadfull Hagia Sophia in civ4, i'd rather they didnt butcher the empire, and let modders create it! :D
This actually sounds very interesting, for cultures to ''meld'' during the game by either conquest(Like Rome did to the Greeks) or diffusion. It is kind of strange to see [X] culture exist in exactly the same way for 8,000 years.

Also by butcher, are you referring to the style of the art or the minarets?

It is a little weird to see the wonder built from the ground up with minarets.

Oh, and when Byzantines are added in via mod or expansion, their unique unit needs to be the fire siphons.

Old China has..

A different Capital
A different language(Albeit well maintained)
A different culture, as it was fused with many many different cultures that now make up the singular 'China' of today.

Though my dislike of the idea is mainly rooted in the fact that they will be called ''Byzantine'', and I like Byzantium as a civ a lot more than Holy Rome.

What do Old China and New China have in common that Rome (latin) and Byzantine (hellenic) don't? The people are the same in China.
What else... the capital city may be different, but still within China...
The changes in culture over thousands of years verses a couple of hundred...
Oh yes, and a change from polytheist to monotheist...

Shall I go on? Nah...

Top Bottom