How did Gods & Kings succeeded?

MARDUK80

Prince
So it has been about five months since G&K release. Does anyone know how did it sold (compared to the DLC and earlier Civ expansions), what kind of reviews did it get and most of all what do you guys think about it after playing almost half a year? Now that we have Religion and Espionage systems are there any vital features still missing?

Personally I haven't read any reviews and played only a few games after the initial release. Loved the new Civs, religion, espionage and other new features, but I found the AI just so weak that decided to wait for the patches before starting to play again and after the Fall patch the game is much more better now. I haven't had any graphics or other problems that many seem to get from the patch.

I'm hoping we would get more patches to continually improve the AI and also a couple new DLC Civs would be really nice. Africa is still way underrepresented, at least mid-south Africa so Zulu and Kongo seem like a natural inclusions. Second expansion would be more than I dare to hope for, but keeping my fingers crossed. :)

By the way, were the Ask the Devs questions answered somewhere? Could not find them...

It made the game more playable in single player and what I've seen they sold a lot!

I have no references right now, but G&K is a stable success. It still have issues, but no real game-breaking issues, more small stuff and still AI-problems,

So we can most likely see a CIV6 in 3-4 years, well, if they don't take the money and run.

I want Civ6, but I want Civ5 fixed first.

Haha, who am I kidding! Civ4 was left with a bunch of bugs, fixed only to playability.
Same with Civ3, only modders could fix that game.

Still, Civ5 is worth another fix, it's a great game in itself.

It got positive reviews, mostly 8s/9s out of 10s from the major review sites. Metacritic has it listed at 80/100. That's no surprise, though, since the reviewers can't be expected to get in depth with the game in the short time they have to review it. We all know CiVanilla got great reviews on its release, even though it had some major issues under the hood.

Still, I think G&K has been very well received in the community. It added a lot to the game in the form of Religion, fixed many long-standing issues the game had, and everyone likes new Civs. And it's done well enough that the Devs have put time into releasing a major patch and are still talking to us.

Top Bottom