A script for auto-naming units in-game?

Levantine

Chieftain
I don't see anything in the utility downloads section, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of a mod-maker who's done such a feat. Essentially, a mod that auto names all units based on unit type and in numerical order. Sort of like how the game goes down a list for cities, and when you build so many, it eventually numbers them, only now with units.

Ideally the mod would take into account the unit's name or unit type. So something like a tank being built, would be 123rd Armor (if it was that civilizations 123rd armor unit in its military).

If no one has made such a thing yet, I would suspect it wasn't possible to inject a script like that into a mod. I wouldn't mind taking a shot at it, but I would need a heavy dosage of the game's scripting do's and don'ts

Preplaced units in scenarios always can be individually named for all civs. The same for later produced units of the player´s civ. The problem is "auto"-naming for units that are produced later during a game in a scenario or in games.
Such a "script" for this problem doesn´t exist. One setting that comes near to it, is using the leader flag and and the list of leader names for individual names of units. I use this methode in the next version of CCM for the autoproduced Greek heroes:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13248212&postcount=1588
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13253384&postcount=1596

With this methode one can only split the "auto"-naming of units between civs, but there is no splitting of names for different types of units. Another backside of this methode is, that the names of the true leader-units of that civ would be the same. So per example, if you would give the US battleships produced during a game the names Missouri, Wisconsin, New Jersey, Iowa and so on, a true leader that you gain in battle for this civ would also have the name Missouri (and so on) and would additionally block that name for the battleship until the list of leader-names is finished and the naming of new units will be restarted with the beginning of the list again.

I suppose I'll stick to manually renaming them then. If only I could manually rename AI units as well, so the next time I encounter an elite one I could see if it's the same unit that's been wrecking my conscripts for years. Thanks for the response.

Top Bottom