Realism Invictus

I'm playing Carthage at the moment.
What I found a little odd is that the Punic Horseman they use is a charge mounted unit and that it later upgrades into the Improved Horseman, which is a range mounted unit.

Is this intentional, or maybe an oversight ? I could live with either way but it kind of feels that both units should fall into the same category, also when looking at their respective art style and so on. The Punic Horseman being charge mounted also means that Carthage must live with only 4 units of range mounted units for quite a while, since their Numidian Cavalry is a national unit and the Sacred Band is also charge mounted.

I will have a look. I have a list of minor problems to correct. It will be done asap (I'm in holidays, far away from a computer, so ... be patient ! ;))

I will have a look. I have a list of minor problems to correct. It will be done asap (I'm in holidays, far away from a computer, so ... be patient ! ;))

Great, no need to hurry. I meant it as a possible fix for the future.

And while we're at it: have you ever thought of implementing the option 'military units start fortified' ? It can be really convenient to not have to put newly produced units to sleep every turn if multiple cities are producing simultaneously. Just in case you are interested :) I saw this first in RoM, but there it's applied to all units, not just military.

Hey guys, I love the mod so far, I just have a question:

I noticed that you can have up to 62 AI, how well does the game handle it, and would all 62 AI fit properly on a Giant map?

It's common to find landlocked cities that still have water tiles at the edge of their radius. Unfortunately, such cities cannot build fishing docks, lighthouses, or any other buildings that would improve those tiles. Similarly, cities that are not on a river cannot build levees, but often have tiles within their radius that would benefit from a levee.

I propose the location restrictions be lifted from Fishing Docks, Lighthouses, Levees, and any other buildings that only improve tiles within the city radius (possibly Industrial Shipyards?). Pros: some city locations will be more viable, including marginal choices sometimes made by the A.I.s. Cons: truly landlocked cities will be able to build useless buildings, cluttering the interface and possibly leading to A.I.s building them. (I think this won't happen, provided the A.I. is using the "Net Effect" calculations to decide what to build.)

Ideally, the game would allow these buildings if and only if they would improve a tile in the city radius, but I suspect that can't be done or would take too much effort. Current buildings seem to be available only based on whether a city is adjacent to a coast tile or to a river. Being adjacent to a fresh-water lake doesn't allow fishing docks etc. to be built but probably should, since large lakes are quite often generated by some map scripts. This may actually be possible, since lake cities can build ships, if I remember correctly.

A related suggestion: harbors should be buildable in cities by rivers. Consider historical examples like London (inland a fair distance on the Thames), Memphis along the Nile, or classical Athens' harbor at Piraeus. The latter example suggests that cities with any water tiles in their radius should be able to build a harbor, but harbors for river cities (and lake cities if possible) is a convenient quick fix.

Currently coastal cities get big bonuses to trade routes, to the point that I seriously consider restarting if my capital isn't on a coast. The long term effects of having an extra trade route (or three, if you mange to build the Great Lighthouse) are pretty impressive. Bonuses to trade route income from harbors and customs houses are also quite significant. (Cumulative +125% to foreign trade routes.) Is there any reason why customs houses should not be buildable in non-coastal cities?

I do hope none of the Realism team minds me doing a bit of advertising here, but it's the only way I feel I can get this game off the ground! To anyone who might be interested, I'm going to be hosting a succession game using the mod, located here. Considering the lack of activity in the Succession Games forum, I thought it might be a good idea to let players of the mod know. Perhaps one or three of you might be interested in playing a game!

Hello all,

I've been trying to install RI 3.25 on a copy of BtS I have downloaded via Steam. The mod's installer says it can't detect my BtS directory and instructs me to find it manually, but when I select the directory manually it won't recognise it and won't let me continue the installation. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.

Hi,

I've faced the same problem. After downloading some tools to unzip exe archives and renaming/moving some files from what was extracted, I _almost_ managed to frankenstein the mod onto the steam install (Program Files (x86) folder). I was missing some (lots of) UI buttons and sounds for some units were missing, but it run!

Anyway, then I found out that the file the installer asked for (Civ4BeyondTheSword.exe) and which is not in the base BTS folder [1] is one folder further [2] and it is this folder that you have to select. The installer finally understood (or rather, I did) and everything now runs just right (except my empire).

I can't say whether this will solve the problem for you but I'd guess that it will. Have fun!

[1]: Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword
[2]: Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword

Coming back to play this after a long time, still fun.

Because it's been awhile, I'm note sure if this a bug or just a mechanic I don't remember: (r4780)

Playing as Egypt, I was destroying Arabia, and had just whittled down their capital's defense to a measly 1%, and was preparing to go for the kill. Russia was coming down with a small stack to the Suez Canal area, but who cares. Russia declares war, I get my defenses bolstered and moving towards their stack...

And then notice my Arabian invasion force has been teleported out of Arabia, meaning I have to spend 4 turns just getting back into range of the city. :crazyeye:

This is still classical era, no vassals or defense pacts or any of those shenanigans going on. Still at war with Arabia, no peace out via event or anything. Not expecting another civ's wardec on me to take me out of my other enemy's territory. :cry:

The "18 civ limit" on Custom Games for Islands is not a limit to the civs themselves, if you choose more than 18 civs, you get two giant continents instead of islands. Doesn't matter how big of a map you choose.

Ah, I see. That's the limitation of the generator itself it seems. Anyway, I wouldn't really recommend to put too many civs on one map - it can mess with the map generators in many ways.

For example, Slavery seems to be highly crippled. As for an institution that has been around for 5000 years I see no reason why I would want to hinder my civilization with such. I'm curious as to the reasoning of making workers 25% less productive? On top of the revolts that occur almost every other turn, it seems hard to justify the civic for a +1 food? Perhaps granting hammers for mines or plantations and removing the worker penalty would help.

Firstly, one food makes quite a lot of difference, IMO. Secondly, in earlier eras, when the revolting units are quite weak, the revolts are actually more of a free XP source than a penalty, especially if you have some cavalry with anti-barbarian promos. But I can see how this particular mechanic might be annoying, and we mean to change it somewhat.

Second, the civic Agrarianism has potential but if you can only build a pasture on a site of horses, cows, and sheep it seems a huge penalty since I can build a farm anywhere -- i can build five times more farm than the few selected spots for a pasture? Having the ability to build a pasture anywhere, even with a lower bonus would make the Civic somewhat more usable. Maybe there is something going on behind the scene I do not understand, but why would I choose the Civic when my numerous farms are penalized for the 1 cow pasture I could build?

When early on your cities work 3-4 tiles each, a boosted pasture can make a world of difference. If all of your cities have at least one animal resource, I believe early on Nomadism is no-brainer. It becomes progressively less useful with passage of time, as it should be.

On a different note, on multiplayer games have you found that the slot one player (always the host unless you play pitboss) is unevenly picked on? Playing mostly multiplayer games and me always hosting the game I am relegated to slot one (assuming we don't use pitboss) and it seems like I am unfairly picked on in the game -- with barbarian invasions, bad events, and just plain vindictive AI. Perhaps its just my imagination. :crazyeye:

I don't have any hard data on it, but if it is so, all the more reason to use pitboss! It has no real drawbacks.

Tried to play the Huge World Map but after 200 turns the game was already churning for minutes at the start of each turn -- I am running a 8 gig 64 bit I7 and was surprised by this degradation of performance so early on. Is that normal?

Yep. Huge world map is only intended for people who are very good at waiting. I personally hardly ever play it.

And finally I find cannon in the game crippled as well. Certainly if I field 20 cannons and park it around a city firing relentlessly, I should be able to do more than 20% damage to the garrisoned army? My reference was in relation to bombards as I have yet to get to stronger units, but it just seems to be silly that my bombardments would be limited to 20% damage?

Just like IRL, this amount of bombards isn't really practical. They are supposed to be cumbersome, expensive and not really effective, until better artillery arrives later. But anyway, artillery is a purely support unit, your trusty infantry and cavalry (and tanks later) should do the main bulk of fighting and killing.

Just my observations so far -- I love the flavor of all the civs. Oh by the way, my players are yearning for North American Indian civs to play. Just had to add that! :D

This well might happen in future.

I really like point 1. and 2. but point 3. not so much. I will try to explain in example, why i think it isn't good mechanism: Early renaissance era. One player is able to build ocean sailing ships but is still unable to build ocean sailing troop transport. He discovers another player on faraway continent. That player instantly declares war and have a benefit of full tech transfer for almost no consequences.

Players get tech bonus for conquering cities, so in some way it reflect adapting technology through war. Maybe add more situation when player receive tech bonus for example when one of your unit kills enemy unit you get few (10 or 15) research points in a technology known by your enemy. When your unit is pillaging, apart from gold, you get few research points (number of points is determined by era).

Good thinking and thanks for pointing out the non-obvious flaws. Maybe we'll handle it this way.

Have you ever considered adding an option that would prevent certain civs from founding religions that have no, or very little historical basis in that country? For example, European civs can't found eastern religions, but they can found Solar Cult, Christianity, Judaism. Spain could also found Islam. Scandinavia can't found Judaism.

Undoubtedly, it would leave some civs, like the Mayans and Aztecs with only being able to found 1 religion (Solar Cult), but the vast majority of civs would be able to found at least 3 religions. It would also prevent some civs from founding a ridiculous amount of random religions. It could add an interesting element to world maps, so when you finally explore eastern Asia people follow different religions.

Not really. I feel it would be too unbalancing from gameplay point of view.

Maybe more "Unique religions" like what middle-eastern and Mediterranean civs have for solar cult? I'm drawing a blank on what any of them would be atm, but that's because my meager historical knowledge is kinda west-centric... I know, shame on me.... :D anyway, I'm sure there's enough various religious sub-groups in Asia and America to fill them in..

Well... In case of Solar Cult we were really lucky to have such a generic name and icon. I was thinking of implementing some advanced flavor polytheistic religions in Hinduism slot, but I see no elegant way of handling it from name/icon point of view. It would be strange to have Hellenic paganism represented by Aum symbol, for instance.

I am curious as to the strategy for the use of the Republic civic? The technology required to obtain it comes so late that the player will have no doubt more than 6 cities? It carries among other determinants with a +35% increase to the cost of city maintenance -- not a savings but a penalty!?! All of this for +1 happiness? Reading up on the Senate it is an okay building but is it worth losing that much gold a turn?

Republic is good for you when you are in confined quarters or don't really want to expand quickly - it's for "vertical" growth rather than "horizontal". If you want to grab more land quicker, Despotism is your best friend. And since that's how most players play all the time (I am guilty of overexpanding too often myself), Despotism seems to be the "human player civic". :)

We might want to think of more incentive for early "vertical" growth...

Always wondered what the Favored civic or religion really does for a civilization? So if I am playing the Japanese and I gain Buddhism how is that better than let's say Christianity for that culture?

Nothing. It is purely there for AI. Oh, running another AI's favorite civic will give you a relations bonus. But other than that, nothing.

I have a passion for playing civilizations that used the oceans to build massive empires. One of the problems with Civilization IV is coastal cities and island cities are gutted without any appreciable ways of creating hammers to make anything. Have you ever thought of adding a civic such as Agrarianism but for the sea? I was thinking of one called "Maritime Powers" that would allow the construction of a specialized harbor that's benefit was +1 hammers to all coastal zones.

Coastal cities have more commerce as a rule, while inland cities have more production. I think it's fairly balanced.

you should add this to RI: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=439060

thanks these options like double agent and bigger promotion spy tree make game more.. realistic

We might want to handle espionage differently in future. We're not 100% sure of direction we want to take.

and my little dream its economic victory - computer check how many gold u gain via trade routes. if u have more then world 50% gold global trade, you win. or if u have more then 50% of world`s hammers per turn..? ( it mean all civ`s count togheter have less gold via trade then you)

or or.. scientific victory, first who reach "future tech 1" win..?

Spaceship race is already kinda scientific victory - first to research certain techs will likely win. Anyway, I am not really one of people "playing to win". I don't think I've ever formally won even one game of Civ 4...

Hi,

I've been playing RI_svn in multiplayer for a long time with no issues at all. Me and two friends play regularly across a number of versions. We use Hamachi.

I updated to v4771 and installed the mod for my girlfriend on her PC, right next to my PC in our living room. We both have RI_svn v4771 and hamachi, and managed to get a game playing across the same internet connection with no problems at all.

My two other friends that I play with all the time then updated to RI_svn v4771 and checked they could connect to each other. They can.

The problems all start when all 4 players try to connect. Any given two of us can connect but after that if another player connects they get a failed to connect pop-up saying check the firewall settings? That includes the 3 players that play all the time. Even if I take my girlfriend off Hamachin we now can't connect more than 2 players?

Any ideas what might be causing this? We've all tried turning off our firewalls too, and we have the same message popping up.

I think Hamachi has gotten pretty terrible at connecting several players recently. Try handling this through pitboss and see if it works better for you.

My big overall wish for the religion system would be to have a "schism" mechanism so that, say, Christianity could be split into Catholic/Protestant/Orthodox, Islam into Shia/Sunni, etc.
These schismatic religions could perhaps have a random event triggered by a certain technology spawn them (much like the way they work in RFC: DOC) with buildings being replaced, etc.
Although I'm pretty sure I've said this on this thread somewhere like a year and a half ago :D

Yep, and I told you then that it is in our plans. It still is.

So I have been playing a new game for the last week and I am having a devil of a time trying to find copper. Either the RI maps do not distribute copper enough or there is just too much dependency on the metal.

I am also without iron, but do have horses and Prime Timber. Of course one cannot build a Bronze factory without copper and that limits most of my starting units.

First, I think it is ridiculous that War Canoes require bronze. They should only need Prime Timber, perhaps with copper and iron giving a bonus to its production.

Second, I think most units should have two resources that are needed as an "or" rather than predicated on only 1 resource.

Well, lacking a strategic resource should hurt. Copper is one of those resources that you should really want to have. And such resources are usually designed to spawn so that there is a tangible deficit of them. Horses are another of those resources. Iron is actually easier to get, but that's because if you're out of iron, you can say that you've already lost - and also because historically, iron working was actually much more geographically accessible than bronze working - iron is found much easier on Earth than copper and tin.

But... I am a beginner, I know how to add things to CIV4ArtDefines XML files, have them appear in game, so on and so forth. But some things are well beyond my skill level. I can copy a good deal of things from your XML files, which I can find easily by entering the assets folder.

Except for one thing... when I go into the art folder I just see "Movies". I am sure there is an obvious method here that either I overlooked in the modding tutorials or something along those lines.

I've spent the last month hunting down quite a bit of material around here for my purposes, and I have enough to do quite a lot with, but many of the older files have been taken down or expired in some way or another and I am pretty sure the only way to get them is to sneak them out of a mod already using them that is still being updated. For example, the ethnic great people nifs that Seasnake uploaded are no longer there. I've managed to get a few of them, like the Andean Merchant, but others have eluded me (or been outdated and incompatible with the current version of BTS- I have a modern Asian great spy who makes the game crash).

The problem is almost all of these mods (not just yours, but I am asking you because you seem to have the best set, expanding on the BUG mod substancially) use installers rather than zip files which makes it easy to insert on the computer but is giving me fits pillaging like the frenzied barbarian I am. So basically... won't you help me make off with your women and horses gentlemen? How do I get at your delicious art meats? Sorry for my loathsome greeness, and again, if this is something already answered elsewhere and I overlooked it/it didn't show up in my search results I apologize.

Someone has already answered this one for you. Most big mods pack their assets into fpk files. You can unpack those with Pakbuild that you can find here in CFC downloads section. Our mod is no different in this aspect from even Civ 4 itself.

So I went through and enabled all the civilizations. A tremendous amount of work went into locking down the non-playable cultures.

I had to play with settlers too, as well as some of the starting cultural buildings.

I found that most were playable right from the start, with just a few anomalies such as odd looking troop art.

To be honest, I love playing the North American Indians!!! They have a completely different feel to the game. They start out not being able to build a worker until much later in the game, but you can build a hunter gatherer that creates a hunting camp that lasts for 20 turns or so. I did change it so that after it is exhausted, you can build another one in its place, but the worker still dies in the process.

I sort of understand why you locked down so many incredibly cool cultures, but then again maybe a switch or an option to turn them on or off would be better.

Can't wait to start a new game tonight; playing the Crusader Kingdoms this time around!

Yeah, we might have an option to unlock some civs we don't consider finished in the next version, mainly derivative civs like Finland or Mughals.

Hello RI, i wanted to ask you for what is electricity needed now after factory bonuses were moved to craftsman?

Thanks for making the best game ever! :goodjob:

Yann already answered this one above, but in short - right now for nothing. We lack one more component that will allow us to use electricity as we intended it with the new craftsman system.

I am sure you already gave the answer somehwere on the forum but it is hard to find ( alot of confusing and different information out there about this mod) Are you going to implement Revolutions ? I feel like this is the only missing part of this magnificent mod.

Yes.

Hello, folks.

I'm a big fan of RI, but I'm posting here for another reason. I uninstalled Civ a few days ago and I'm trying to install it again. Vanilla and warlords work fine, but BTS simply won't install. It CTDs a little after I click "install". I have win7 64 bits Professional. I follwed everything they say in the related support thread, asked for help there but no one answered. The disk itself is flawless. If you guys could send me a private message with a link or anything, I'd be deeply thankful. Sorry for posting it here, but I didn't know where else to post and I trust the RI fans and team. Thank you all in advance.

Really no idea, sorry. Have you tried running the installer in various compatibility modes?

I know this has been mentioned by others in the past, but playing random maps copper is quite rare which is unfortunate since it is a requirement for so many things in RI. Horses are often hard to come by as well.

Yes, see my answer above. This is by design. It is this way so that there are always some civs that end up with horses and/or copper and some that don't.

how about add mod "unit trade" ?

it ll be more realistic

and "fixed border" ?

Maybe, in future.

And while we're at it: have you ever thought of implementing the option 'military units start fortified' ? It can be really convenient to not have to put newly produced units to sleep every turn if multiple cities are producing simultaneously. Just in case you are interested :) I saw this first in RoM, but there it's applied to all units, not just military.

Haven't really given it thought, but we might.

Hey guys, I love the mod so far, I just have a question:

I noticed that you can have up to 62 AI, how well does the game handle it, and would all 62 AI fit properly on a Giant map?

Well, I wouldn't recommend it, at least because I don't think any random map generator could put enough resources for 62 civs even on a Giant map. Also, you'd likely end up with a game that would quite quickly have very long turn wait times. Other than that, there is technically nothing that prevents you from doing that.

It's common to find landlocked cities that still have water tiles at the edge of their radius. Unfortunately, such cities cannot build fishing docks, lighthouses, or any other buildings that would improve those tiles. Similarly, cities that are not on a river cannot build levees, but often have tiles within their radius that would benefit from a levee.

I propose the location restrictions be lifted from Fishing Docks, Lighthouses, Levees, and any other buildings that only improve tiles within the city radius (possibly Industrial Shipyards?). Pros: some city locations will be more viable, including marginal choices sometimes made by the A.I.s. Cons: truly landlocked cities will be able to build useless buildings, cluttering the interface and possibly leading to A.I.s building them. (I think this won't happen, provided the A.I. is using the "Net Effect" calculations to decide what to build.)

Ideally, the game would allow these buildings if and only if they would improve a tile in the city radius, but I suspect that can't be done or would take too much effort. Current buildings seem to be available only based on whether a city is adjacent to a coast tile or to a river. Being adjacent to a fresh-water lake doesn't allow fishing docks etc. to be built but probably should, since large lakes are quite often generated by some map scripts. This may actually be possible, since lake cities can build ships, if I remember correctly.

A related suggestion: harbors should be buildable in cities by rivers. Consider historical examples like London (inland a fair distance on the Thames), Memphis along the Nile, or classical Athens' harbor at Piraeus. The latter example suggests that cities with any water tiles in their radius should be able to build a harbor, but harbors for river cities (and lake cities if possible) is a convenient quick fix.

Currently coastal cities get big bonuses to trade routes, to the point that I seriously consider restarting if my capital isn't on a coast. The long term effects of having an extra trade route (or three, if you mange to build the Great Lighthouse) are pretty impressive. Bonuses to trade route income from harbors and customs houses are also quite significant. (Cumulative +125% to foreign trade routes.) Is there any reason why customs houses should not be buildable in non-coastal cities?

I can't say that I like your suggestion. Historically, coastlines were kinda big deal. If you look how human population was spread throughout most of history, you'll see that about 90% of humanity lived on or near the coasts. Even now if you look at the population density map of, say, USA, you'll notice that both coasts have much higher population density (and are much more economically advanced) than inland regions.

Playing as Egypt, I was destroying Arabia, and had just whittled down their capital's defense to a measly 1%, and was preparing to go for the kill. Russia was coming down with a small stack to the Suez Canal area, but who cares. Russia declares war, I get my defenses bolstered and moving towards their stack...

And then notice my Arabian invasion force has been teleported out of Arabia, meaning I have to spend 4 turns just getting back into range of the city. :crazyeye:

This is still classical era, no vassals or defense pacts or any of those shenanigans going on. Still at war with Arabia, no peace out via event or anything. Not expecting another civ's wardec on me to take me out of my other enemy's territory. :cry:

Can't say I've ever run into anything like this.

is there umm some path to 3.25 version?

I don't really understand your question.

And I specifically invite you and other Hungarians here to discuss the newborn Hungarian playable civ. :)

I would love to have Hungary as a playable civ in RI, and would be very much willing to help in it.
We have more than enough art for it, that's for sure, based on Bakuel's work and avain's very detailed Hungary addon for his Varietas Delectat and Quot Capita mods
Actually I'm already in the process of making a historically correct city list for Hungary, and revising all the unique Great People names (for another mods).

That would be quite useful to have in RI as well.

EDIT: Checking through the art files in your latest SVN version, the units are already in a very good shape.
As a hungarian I can easily do all the text updates (revising hungarian unit/building/etc names, civilopedia entries, etc)
I guess the most obviously needed things are a second UB, an UI, and the leaders

I don't think a second UB is required. Only a few civs in RI have it, and only when the first one comes too late to be useful in most games (see Germany, Russia).

Unique improvement: I would go with a precious mine replacement
Hungarian gold and silver production was huge in the 13-15th centuries, at least to medieval european standards
Especially during the 14th century, under Charles I and Louis I: "One of the primary sources of power of his father was the wealth derived from the gold mines of east and northern Hungary. Eventually itself the gold production of mines reached the remarkable figure of 3,000 pounds (1,400 kg) of gold annually – one third of the total production of the world as then known, and five times as much as that of any other European state. The gold coin of Hungary (the Forint), of the same weight and purity of its namesake of Florence, was clear proof of the country's prosperity. The Hungarian and Florentine coins were the most valuable coins of the age."

Since we already have almost exactly that for Spain, to implement it for Hungary, we'll need something new and cool for Spain.

Unique units: Huszar is a must have. I like Fekete Sereg too, altough would change it somewhat, it's not a gunpowder unit at all to require Arquebus and Sulfur
I would probably make them very special, elit melee troops, with a national limit of 2, keep Huszars with a national limit of 6, and maybe introduce a 3rd unique unit, with a limit of 4 (to keep the total number of 12 unique national units, which seem to be consistent for all civs)
Some ideas for the UU, or for some additional distinctive units: Hajdu Infantry, Kun and Jassic units, Szekely units, Tegethoff class battleship

It would be cool if you provided some pictures if you think we're missing some unit art. Then I will be able to make those units.

As for Fekete Sereg, I will actually argue with you here. Firstly, at maximum strength it was about 20000 people, which for these times would mean something like 4-6 Civ units. Secondly, it had a much higher amount of gunpowder weaponry per soldier than any other European army of that era; they were the first European military unit to actually rely on gunpowder for causing major damage (or the second if we count Hussite infantry of Hussite wars). Of course it was still only no more than 1/4 of soldiers who had arquebus, but that can also be said about all other early gunpowder armies as well. Only by XVII century infantry could get rid of purely melee soldiers in their formations (pikemen were the last to go, with the arrival of bayonets). Even much later, in 30 Years War era, musket formations didn't have more than 50% of people armed with actual muskets. So I think classing Fekete Sereg as a gunpowder unit is quite justified.

Leaders: Some of the following:
Arpad, Szt. Istvan/St Stephen, Konyves Kalman/Coloman the Learned, Bela III, Bela IV, Karoly Robert/Charles I, Nagy Lajos/Loius I the Great, Luxemburgi Zsigmond/Sigismund of Luxemburg, Hunyadi Matyas/Matthias Corvinus, Istvan Bathory, Istvan Bocskai, Gabor Bethlen, Ferenc Rakoczi II, Lajos Kossuth, Miklos Horthy, Imre Nagy
My top 6 would be: Arpad, Istvan, Bela III or Bela IV, Lajos I, Matyas, Miklos Horthy or Imre Nagy (if you guys want a late leader)

I think we handled those well. Any comments on leaders?

I have another question. Why is gold so scarse in the new generators? i think its ok to be scarse, but not to the point that I played 3 times in large maps and in one continent there is gold but in the other there is none. I think there should be at least 2 gold in the other continent (in my games the old big continent had just 5-4 gold) and just 1 civ out of then had more than 1 gold (just 2).

Thanks for making this game, it is really awesome! :goodjob:

Yes, see my answer above. This is by design. It is this way so that there are always some civs that end up with horses and/or copper and some that don't.

Which I think is a good feature as well. Scarcity is definitely a good thing.

I'm just finding that some worlds will only have 3 or 4 sources of copper and horses for an entire "large" sized map. I've also gotten trapped on very large continents where there was no horses, or copper and only 1 or 2 sources of iron.

Perhaps this problem is a bit exaggerated for me due to the options I choose for the terrain generation and the amount of civs?

I usually pick "perfect world," or the "mongoose" map scripts and play with 20 or so civs on a large map, so approximately 25% of the civs or less will have decent access to key resources. Fighting wars with only archers and basic spearmen until the iron age, or further can be a bit of a drag.

I have another question. Why is gold so scarse in the new generators? i think its ok to be scarse, but not to the point that I played 3 times in large maps and in one continent there is gold but in the other there is none. I think there should be at least 2 gold in the other continent (in my games the old big continent had just 5-4 gold) and just 1 civ out of then had more than 1 gold (just 2).

Thanks for making this game, it is really awesome! :goodjob:

I don't think it is, at least there shouldn't be less of it than of other resources. What we did change relatively recently is that gold now doesn't "cluster" and should be dispersed, but that doesn't seem to what you're reporting. What are your settings?

Which I think is a good feature as well. Scarcity is definitely a good thing.

I'm just finding that some worlds will only have 3 or 4 sources of copper and horses for an entire "large" sized map. I've also gotten trapped on very large continents where there was no horses, or copper and only 1 or 2 sources of iron.

Perhaps this problem is a bit exaggerated for me due to the options I choose for the terrain generation and the amount of civs?

I usually pick "perfect world," or the "mongoose" map scripts and play with 20 or so civs on a large map, so approximately 25% of the civs or less will have decent access to key resources. Fighting wars with only archers and basic spearmen until the iron age, or further can be a bit of a drag.

I ran the PerfectMongoose script a couple of times just now to check, and the amount of copper instances per large map was on average 15-16. Granted, at least 4-5 end up in the polar regions. Are you able to reproduce it, and if you are, what are your settings for the generator itself?

I don't think it is, at least there shouldn't be less of it than of other resources. What we did change relatively recently is that gold now doesn't "cluster" and should be dispersed, but that doesn't seem to what you're reporting. What are your settings?

In my experiences gold and silver are fairly uncommon, but the distribution seems to be fairly realistic.

I ran the PerfectMongoose script a couple of times just now to check, and the amount of copper instances per large map was on average 15-16. Granted, at least 4-5 end up in the polar regions. Are you able to reproduce it, and if you are, what are your settings for the generator itself?

I played these maps awhile ago (haven't had much time for civ lately) and it looks like I was a bit fuzzy on some of the details. I saw someone mention a few things about the distribution of resources and it jogged my memory.

I did manage to find one of my old saved games. I counted 4 sources of copper on that map when I checked just now. It appears to be a Large Tectonics map with 3 continents, but I'm not 100% certain. I was also playing with 31 civs, not 20 some.

I also just generated a few new maps on PerfectMongoose (large map) and got about 10 sources of copper, so about the same as you did. Probably playing with 31 civs caused me to remember the copper being quite a bit more rare than it actually was. Also given that some sources spawn on polar caps, so only about 1/3 of civs or less would have had access to copper made the distribution seem quite low playing with that number of civs.

I guess for now we can write off the map with 4 sources of copper as an isolated incident, since I'm not sure what the settings were. I did have that happen to me 2x in a row oddly... I do still have a saved copy of one of the games if you care to look and if I come across it again and am able to reproduce it I'll let you know.

Actually playing with 31 civs can cause copper to become more scarce. Since the map generator tries to place enough of all resources for every civ, it of course simply runs of placement places if the map size is not adequate to the number of civs, thus causing some resources to be barely present at all. The first victims are usually crops - on an overcrowded map you will be lucky if there is more than one instance of corn or rice present.

Actually playing with 31 civs can cause copper to become more scarce. Since the map generator tries to place enough of all resources for every civ, it of course simply runs of placement places if the map size is not adequate to the number of civs, thus causing some resources to be barely present at all. The first victims are usually crops - on an overcrowded map you will be lucky if there is more than one instance of corn or rice present.

Well that makes sense then. I always assumed that the game didn't taken into account the number of civs when generating a map. In that case I'll play with far less civs in the future. Thanks for the insight. :)

Now that you mention it, wheat, corn, rice etc. Were all pretty scarce. I just didn't notice because I'm a bit of a warmonger and they aren't a strategic resource.

I can't say that I like your suggestion. Historically, coastlines were kinda big deal. If you look how human population was spread throughout most of history, you'll see that about 90% of humanity lived on or near the coasts. Even now if you look at the population density map of, say, USA, you'll notice that both coasts have much higher population density (and are much more economically advanced) than inland regions.
Well, I think the reality is more complicated than that. Population tends to cluster along major transportation routes, whether those are shipping routes, roads, rail, or something else. At the very least, major rivers and lakes attract population just as well as oceanic coast. The Great Lakes, for example, are home to the 3rd largest U.S. city (Chicago) and the 1st and 2nd largest Canadian cities (Toronto and Montreal). However, climate has a much larger effect. Most people live where food is easy to grow, and only secondarily congregate where food is easy to transport to.

U.S. population density, 2005 (image, 439kB) The largest pattern in the U.S. is the divide between east (high density) and west (low density), not coastal vs interior.

Africa population density, 2000 (image, 405kB) Here's a clear example of population density around lakes and rivers as well as coasts (the rift lakes and the Nile). Population density along major roads is also visible in some places on this map. Climate has a huge effect on population density, with few people in the Sahara or Namib deserts, and many where rainfall, and thus food production, is high (western sub-Sahara, Kenya, eastern South Africa).

Central Asia population density (image, 108kB) Another great example is India, where there's a band of population density along the base of the Himalayan mountains, where rain and snow-melt create the most fertile areas. (Edit: also, this)

If you have any maps showing historical population density, I would love to see them.

Anyway, as interesting as that is, it's a bit of a digression. My main point is that it's quite common for cities to be slightly inland, but still benefit from nearby coastal areas. My favorite example of this is classical Athens, with its Long Walls. Cities on lakes should also be able to build lighthouses and fishing docks, as well as ships.

Is there a comparison of all the different civs floating around anywhere? The more I play this mod, the more I love it, but the more I wish there was an easier way to see how one civ's unique and national units and buildings stack up against another's without having to pour through the Civopedia.

EDIT: Also, apologies if this is a stupid question, but after reading the manual and searching the forums, I'm still not really sure why every trait says "Max 3 turns of anarchy." Is it possible to have a lower or higher amount of anarchy? AFAIK they all have max 3.

EDIT 2: Hey, since I'm asking questions, is there any chance of RI picking up C2C's system of "leader evolution," where, if the option's enabled, your leader grows over time and acquires new positive and negative traits?

Well... In case of Solar Cult we were really lucky to have such a generic name and icon. I was thinking of implementing some advanced flavor polytheistic religions in Hinduism slot, but I see no elegant way of handling it from name/icon point of view. It would be strange to have Hellenic paganism represented by Aum symbol, for instance.

Well, if generic names and icons are good, why not make some of the existing religions more generic? Ancestor Worship (Taoism, sort of), Polytheism (Hinduism), Monotheism (Judaism, Christianity, Islam), and whatever the technical term is for a non-theistic religion like Buddhism. Oh, and Dualism (Zoroastrianism). Then you can treat them all like Solar Cult. Existing art/icons can be used for one of the regional variations. Maybe the planned schism mechanic would work well with these sub-religions, too.

Top Bottom