G-Minor LXXXVII

Brilliant strat with the Liberty. I totally forgot about the second GMOV you get from it instead of a settler. I think T70 is totally possible hinging on a cultural CS (ideally two!) nearby. I'll give it a try.

It is a pity that this will be lost. Maybe record a let's play? It would be relatively short and sweet, maybe replay the same map, and a lot of learnings there (early rush + record CV). That way it will be recorded for history. It is rare to see something new, and a sub100 CV without SS is a first I think.:goodjob:

wow i didnt know that musician gives 100 tourism with 0 per turn, this makes liberty the best strat by far, will play this some

I thought about Liberty for its free Great Merchant, but didn't know GM makes 100 tourism with 0 per turn.
I don't yet have try this gauntlet, but in my mind liberty was the way. I wonder if guild's artist is useful (on the way after construction). Or chariots archers are enough ?
Did someone tried instant world but one DoW. It can ensure you free cities (and puppet where to buy reinforcement if need) when you are busy to raze another civ for 10 turns ?

Reload city here, which isn't that bad because the games are so fast. There are so many variables that need to align for this to work.

Work now, but I'll try again later.

Rolled what looked like a pretty good map on 2nd restart so decided to give it one more try for a clean HOF entry (assuming that liberating a civ with Alex to win culturally a couple of turns later is clean). Don't think I made any big mistakes this time, Liberty t74, won on t78 :)

Spoiler :

Rolled what looked like a pretty good map on 2nd restart so decided to give it one more try for a clean HOF entry (assuming that liberating a civ with Alex to win culturally a couple of turns later is clean). Don't think I made any big mistakes this time, Liberty t74, won on t78 :)

Spoiler :

How did you win a cultural victory with 0 tourism/turn? Did you have accumulated tourism and gift the only city generating it?

EDIT: NM, finally caught up to the thread. With this approach, you could win even faster with the Maya I'd think. Like t65 cultural victory. Especially if you forward-settled your first city. Ok, when I was saying that perhaps this should be banned, that was in the context of sacred sites. But the liberation/GM strategy is *really* crazy. But, still, very cool!

How did you win a cultural victory with 0 tourism/turn? Did you have accumulated tourism and gift the only city generating it?

EDIT: NM, finally caught up to the thread. With this approach, you could win even faster with the Maya I'd think. Like t65 cultural victory. Especially if you forward-settled your first city. Ok, when I was saying that perhaps this should be banned, that was in the context of sacred sites. But the liberation/GM strategy is *really* crazy. But, still, very cool!

Maya also get archers right out of the gate. They could definitely do it around T65 on a tiny map.

Yeah, Maya should allow really quick finish times with this strategy and you don't even need CS allies then... Poland could work very well too, I think. Would need a cultural CS ally to be competitive with Maya though.

I don't even think Maya would need to do the capital gifting part. Get one GM from Liberty, one from their bonus, use a GE to rush Parthenon and possibly hard build writer's guild for a quick great work too. Should be able to finish around T80 by doing this. In my experience the Piety civs have <250 culture by then especially if you harass them. You may need to focus a bit more on infrastructure and less on army but it also means you need to conquer one less civ.

I am convinced now that the theoretical limit is somewhere around turn 52, while a limit that can be reached with just a little luck is around turn 60

what the hell, i thought i could liberate a city myself? oh man.. Why cant i liberate an original capitol owned by another civ

hmm turn 70 finish wasted (

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0016.jpg
    Civ5Screen0016.jpg
    472 KB · Views: 78
Yeah it's a shame. In my tests Greece has liberated 100% of the caps gifted to him on Prince/Pangaea, so including him in your opponents is the most reliable way to do this.

Well t121 SS on second try. I will submit that one (almost ashamed to after seeing the liberty strategy results) and reserve my last attempt to try Vadalaz's strat.

Should have won on t110ish when I became influential over Rome but I had not finished the damn war. Seriously the terrain I am getting in these Pangeas is awful, with choke points and jungle and what not, what's the point of high seas, hot, arid and 5 billion if you get a jungle map!

I pretty much wasted this map with 3 cultural CSs, through many errors, all of them of my own making. Lost both scouts because I got greedy and tried to kill 2 camps when suddenly 3 extra barbarians appeared after my first attack (should have radared but got lazy). I was going to reroll, but this was my first map with 3 CSs and did not want to waste it. Also send my GMoV to get money and influence to the wrong CS, one where I was already 57 influential. Realized just when I was going to pop it, and had to walk it to a proper 0 influence cult CS, took like 13 wasted turns which delayed my SS significantly. And then screwed the war by fighting only 1 front instead of going for both civs at the same time, and I had plenty of units to do that, CBs all of them. Well need to work on my focus and warmongering, I am way too cautious.

I'll do write up of build, unit, wonder, diplo and policy order for SS in a later post, we are not offering many details, and I think there may be a lot of people that don't know how to do SS CV and gauntlets are a learning exercise for most of us.

I'll do write up of build, unit, wonder, diplo and policy order for SS in a later post, we are not offering many details, and I think there may be a lot of people that don't know how to do SS CV and gauntlets are a learning exercise for most of us.

I would appreciate it :goodjob:

So I ran a few more quick test games with Alex. It seems like he'll liberate any civ that has been completely wiped out unless he absolutely hates them. The only time he didn't liberate was in a Deity game with Mongolia where I bribed them to war twice and Genghis took out a CS. In similar games where I bribed them to war only once he liberated Mongolia every time.

The patch is certainly non-trivial... Does it significantly affect the HOF though? Making Reformation easier to get will make Sacred Sites even more OP. lol

I would appreciate it :goodjob:

Apologies for not posting this, the Civfanatics site had a database corruption and I have spent a few days unable to log in or for that matter submit any games. Civfanatics tells me that they should be able to give me (and all the people affected, all those that joined over the last half a year or so) our old accounts back by the end of the week.

On another subject, I need to check the new patch and see what it does before I post a potentially outdated SS write up. Guys is there a thread that discusses this? I have not found it yet.

EDIT: Never mind, I found it. The patch impacts the SS strategy significantly. In fact IMO it makes it even stronger, as it is shorter to get to the reformation belief. I will need to play the new version before doing a proper post, and it is unlikely I will have the time before the gauntlet deadline comes.:(
I will just do a short post outlining the strategy for those that are interested.

Top Bottom