Other civilizations don't build cities

alireza1354

Emperor
Hi peepz!

I use to play civ5 on king lvl a lot, but I always bump into the problem of two or more civs who just wont build any new cities...

Does anyone know why this is, and what can be done against it?

Thnx!

Hi peepz!

I use to play civ5 on king lvl a lot, but I always bump into the problem of two or more civs who just wont build any new cities...

Thnx!

Would that I should be so lucky. In all of my King games, most AI civs think building new cities is the greatest sport since steeplechase. Yeah, sometimes some civs will just sit and stew in their own juices and not build much, for whatever reasons, but it's a very small percentage in my games. As for what can be done against it? Kill them. That'll fix 'em.

Kill them. That'll fix 'em.

Hahahaha! That's the answer to all life's problems lol.

But idk. Some Civs are a bit more docile in different games. For me it's not consistent either. Don't underestimate them though. 3-5 well developed cities can be just as potent as 10 smaller pop cities. As for what you can do? Put Mother Russia in your next game and give her some time. You'll regret that you did :lol:. And watch Denmark. If you give them an inch, they'll take a mile.
I played a game with Denmark where Spain was huge (at the time) 6-7 cities and they had just raped England so they were number one. Denmark with 3 cities suddenly sails over and takes Madrid and 2 other cities.:eek:
I've played other games where Denmark just sat up in the tundra with 2 cities for half the game. It really depends on the game...

Hi peepz!

Thnx!

Those would be the wonder hog civs. Which may be trying to go for cultural victory. (But you won't have to worry about them; if nothing else a war mongling AI will conquer them.)

Sometimes the most unlikely suspects will go small. I had Hiawatha do this in one game. Why? Well, it seemed like it might be because he was in a nest of jungles and picked up Sacred Path as his pantheon. It just made good sense.

Of course, did devoured by Rome and myself soon afterwards. There's a lesson in there somewhere.

Thnx for ur replies!

Yeah, I have learned two things from them..

1. Time to go Emperor
2. So probably its cause they go for cultural victories :)

Thnx peepz! Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

By what time period? If I'm not mistaken, the game is still programmed where some Civs play tall/small until about Renaissance, at which point all AI will then expand to fill the map. The only time I can think of when it won't is if it gets beat so badly in early wars that it simply doesn't have the resources.

IDK why, kinda ironic, but Mongolia seems to be in this category 3 times out of 4. Them and the Aztecs. On the other hand, my current game was, until I jumped to the top of the lists using industrial era artillery :love:, There were 4 civilizations who seemed to have built and conquered their way to a sort of perfectly balanced super-nation status. Persia had a whole large continent BY THE 1300s when I met them. Russia had the same. as did the ottomans, as did I. now Persia is being choked out, but Japan now owns 95% of the largest continent. where are the mongols in all this? an era and a half behind begging for their life with 3 cities and nothing to trade.

and it isn't like they don't have space. in fact, their continent has room for another 6 or so cities.

maybe they got unhappy-locked? I know from brutal experience that net 10 unhappiness can be hard to cure without cities or trade-goods of any kind.

of course, when I beat Persia into peacefulness, they gave me 2/3rds of their cities as puppets, changing me from 10 happiness to 110 unhappiness. You don't wanna know how hard it is to heal 100 points of happiness without losing cities or population.

of course, when I beat Persia into peacefulness, they gave me 2/3rds of their cities as puppets, changing me from 10 happiness to 110 unhappiness. You don't wanna know how hard it is to heal 100 points of happiness without losing cities or population.

You would have been better off thinning out the AI cities by razing their "junk" sites while pupping the rest. (AI plays on chieftain happiness level)

Also, if you were not going for a cultural victory, as cities come of resistance and you can afford the court house:
1. Annex
2. Cash rush court house and switch to either default or production (it will initially be on gold)
3. Move up happiness structures in the priority list. Consider cash buying.

There is also the old tactic of blocking the other civ. I'm playing a game as Polynesia, and Carthage was just to the SE of me. There was also a lux and some strategics I wanted, so I plopped my city a little close to her and that was all she wrote. She didn't expand to her west as there wasn't much there and two CS were already there, and she had mountains north of her. So Carthage sat all by itself until I conquered it. Persia was also slow to expand in this game.

There is also the old tactic of blocking the other civ. I'm playing a game as Polynesia, and Carthage was just to the SE of me. There was also a lux and some strategics I wanted, so I plopped my city a little close to her and that was all she wrote. She didn't expand to her west as there wasn't much there and two CS were already there, and she had mountains north of her. So Carthage sat all by itself until I conquered it. Persia was also slow to expand in this game.

Reminds me of another dirty tactic to use on a nearby civ you want to stifle- as soon as you have an archer and a couple warriors, go kill their warriors and just camp their city. When a new fighter pops, kill it. You don't have to worry about siege units and taking their city (and getting warmonger status), just keep them to that one city with no improvements or units until you're big enough to either take them if you wish, or leave them for the vultures. They'll be so far behind by that time they'll be irrelevant.

Hmmmm I learned to manipulate the gamesettings so the civs will expand :)

Just untag all victory options, except domination. :)

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

In G&K AI not expanding shouldn't be a problem, at least on large maps.

I play on Deity and have never seen this. :|

Sometimes the most unlikely suspects will go small. I had Hiawatha do this in one game. Why? Well, it seemed like it might be because he was in a nest of jungles and picked up Sacred Path as his pantheon. It just made good sense.

Of course, did devoured by Rome and myself soon afterwards. There's a lesson in there somewhere.

Yeah sometimes the AI personality reacts oddly to the map and the positioning of their start (and that of other AI's + the player). I will frequently see Genghis not pursue expansion if he doesn't start with horses or if he starts in forest.

I play on Deity and have never seen this. :|

On Deity; the AI gets a bigger happiness bonus than a human would playing on Settler. (I expect most humans would be spamming cities at that low unhappiness.)

On Deity; the AI gets a bigger happiness bonus than a human would playing on Settler. (I expect most humans would be spamming cities at that low unhappiness.)

Dang straight I would. I would ICS AND go tall in every city if I received the same bonuses the deity AI's do. There would be 20-22 of my cities on every small map, minimum. That kinda highlights how inept the AI is at decision making. But honestly, that's probably the best we can expect from current levels of processing power.

Top Bottom