A Strange Realization

TheMarshmallowBear

Benelovent Chieftain of the Ursu Kingdom
... I can't remember the last time I had Giant Death Robot in my game.. is that unit even still in? The G&K Tech Tree modifiied it so much that it's pretty much never researched because I never go for Domination Victories (find them useless in 12 player maps, seriously, Ain't Nobody Got Time For'at!)

Yeah, I don't think I've built one since one of the first games I played, and that was just for novelty. I hardly have a game that lasts long enough for it to come up.

Yep, they're still there. I think they are silly, so I try to avoid having them.

When you have modern armor, the game nags you to upgrade to GDRs (wish they didn't put the upgrade button next to the alert and snooze buttons--click too fast and you too can own a shiny new GDR). I've also had GDR gifts from CSs and in one game had GDR rebels (more than -20 unhappy -- had to redirect a squadron of stealth bombers to kill those buggers).

Yeah they are still there. They have the best possibility of showing when I play a "I don't know whether I want to win by science or domination. I will go for both and see which I get first" types of games.

They can also appear if your going for science victory, but delayed Rationalism finisher too long and discovered the tech while building the last space ship part.
(Or going for science and holding onto Great Scientists too long)

Taking uranium is enough for me to avoid them in fights that matter.

Nukes > GDR every time.

Yeah they are still there. They have the best possibility of showing when I play a "I don't know whether I want to win by science or domination. I will go for both and see which I get first" types of games.

Same.

I'll also confess to actually liking to use them. Initially I thought it was cheese, but they proved to be damn useful cheese as I generally only use nukes in dire circumstances. I like having a super powered unit on the board at the end.

Granted I've only had to use them 3 times, but they sure were handy and I actually enjoyed their utility.

Giant robots just aren't cost effective against Haruhi Suzumiyas, Saint Seiyas, or magical girls.

I have no problem reaching the tech for it. My problem is the uranium.

I rarely seriously use them for anything, even when I do obtain them. I once used them to crush the remnants of Gandhi's empire while on my way to a Science victory, but I probably didn't really need them.

I did see GDRs make a difference for the AI once, though. I was attempting to invade a runaway Iroquois AI to slow their space program (didn't work), and I had to fight off successive waves of troops supported by GDRs. Since I was only in the Modern Era at the time, it was quite challenging. Fortunately I had a few highly-promoted battleships and a city-state ally nearby, otherwise the first GDR probably would have stopped my invasion single-handedly.

I just finished a game as Rome where I built a few towards the end of a long war with a runaway Germany. They won't make a huge impact due to their tech placement, sure, but they're fun. And I'm not skilled enough to go for the early wins yet...

If I get a tech or culture CV and fancy playing on (you know, just one more turn....) I'll sometimes upgrade to them for the fun factor. In my early days I stupidly used them as a defence in each city :confused:

Nobody ever attacked those cities, probably due to the GDR sitting there....

I think the game's designed so that you're not actually supposed to get to the GDR.

Yeah, precisely. It's a fun Easter egg for the one-more-turners, but the game should really have ended by then. As a result I really don't get the objections to them: rare is the game they even show up.

Rarely for me too. Usually game is decided, or close enough, by the time I can build them. I usually use uranium for nukes. I have built them before just to use them, but they really don't factor in much.

Top Bottom