Civilization 5 Rants Thread

People will sell their souls if they can get something for a dollar cheaper. Look at all the jobs moved out of the US because people in other countries would make the same product for much less.

I would gladly pay full price for a game that wasn't tethered to Steam's DRM or their "all games - one account" system of control.

I don't care if I have to put the disk in the drive to play it - that's why I bought the game on the damn disc.

People will sell their souls if they can get something for a dollar cheaper. Look at all the jobs moved out of the US because people in other countries would make the same product for much less.

I would gladly pay full price for a game that wasn't tethered to Steam's DRM or their "all games - one account" system of control.

I don't care if I have to put the disk in the drive to play it - that's why I bought the game on the damn disc.

I'll load 27 3.5" floppy disks with Civ V for you, and it'll be hacked to bypass Steam, mkay? :sarcasm:

If ur going to hack it I might as well just have it directly installed on my hard disk.

So I buy a jewel case with a new game, it uses Steam(surprise). I put the disk into my optical drive and attempt to install it. Even though I have all the data there locally on the disk, Steam in all it's stupidity tries to force a dl of the entire game from the internet, W...T...F?

The only way to bypass this is to use the "run" command with a parameter. By gosh, isn't that user friendly? I bought the game on a disk, take a hint steam instead of acting like a headless chicken. Think fast, maybe(just maybe) I bought the game on a disk because I DON'T WANT TO DL THE ENTIRE DAMN GAME!

It's easy to make dimwit decisions sitting on top of a fiber node, the Steam execs need to spend at least one day a year with bandwidth cap. 500MB would be a good start, that's what it is around here.

Steam can kiss my glass.

I really like the hexagon tiles. I accept the one unit one tile difference (don't know whether it is good or bad). I hate hills without food, I also dislike the AI's attitude when capturing a city-state. I don't like many aspects of the game like the really slow progress (ok I know that I am playing on Marathon but why does a simple ship take so long to build?) I hate how many opportunities CiV offers but how only a few of them are usable on most maps (of course there are some exceptions).

I really like the hexagon tiles. I accept the one unit one tile difference (don't know whether it is good or bad). I hate hills without food, I also dislike the AI's attitude when capturing a city-state. I don't like many aspects of the game like the really slow progress (ok I know that I am playing on Marathon but why does a simple ship take so long to build?) I hate how many opportunities CiV offers but how only a few of them are usable on most maps (of course there are some exceptions).

All your complaints are a constraint of 1UPT, plus a few whoppers you haven't mentioned, e.g. the AI, even at Deity, is simply a speed bump the player has to go over not a legitimate challenge. It is the one mechanic which constrains all others and which destroys the game.

Oh, and I've been following the Brave New World developments over at RB, and the biggest issue is that most of the new civs seem to be included simply as "joke civs". The second biggest complaint is that whoever designed them knows sweet Fanny Adams about history, e.g. Maria as the Portuguese leader, possibly the worst possible choice from a historical point of view but included because of, sigh, BEWBS.

I find it sad when misogyny becomes a selling point of a game.

Some people with narrow-minded ideas of what constitutes a civilization would call them joke civs. Others with a broader understanding of what civilization is would not.

Unless these people are suggesting that in every single installment of Civ, it should just be America all the time, France all the time, England all the time, Russia all the time, China all the time, forever and ever.

Some people with narrow-minded ideas of what constitutes a civilization would call them joke civs. Others with a broader understanding of what civilization is would not.

Unless these people are suggesting that in every single installment of Civ, it should just be America all the time, France all the time, England all the time, Russia all the time, China all the time, forever and ever.

I guess I am one of the narrow-minded then, because I can hardly digest the idea of Brazil as a civilization... can you elaborate on why Brazil has suddenly become a civilization for us the narrow-minded simpletons?

Thanks.

The victory condition tailored for Brazil being called "Pedro's party people" is not making a joke of Brazil and Brazilians how?

It is crudely stereotyping a nation of 125m very diverse people as a crowd of lazy layabouts who only want to be constantly drunk.

@ Aristos, Brazil is not a civilization, but then again neither is the US or England, two prominent "civs" in the franchise. Using civilisation for the name of the various playable groups in the series is a handy, and highly innacurate, generalisation.

The victory condition tailored for Brazil being called "Pedro's party people" is not making a joke of Brazil and Brazilians how?

It is crudely stereotyping a nation of 125m very diverse people as a crowd of lazy layabouts who only want to be constantly drunk.

@ Aristos, Brazil is not a civilization, but then again neither is the US or England, two prominent "civs" in the franchise. Using civilisation for the name of the various playable groups in the series is a handy, and highly innacurate, generalisation.

Well, I guess it depends on the components of the definition of civilization... I like to think that a society worthy of entering the pages of history as a civilization has contributed to humankind a very important piece of development/technology/idea/etc... in that sense, England, USA, France and many others qualify... what's Brazil's contribution to humankind? The carnivals? Football? (and I am a football fan, but having the best football players in the world is hardly a contribution to humankind's advance...).

On the stereotype, well... I have lived as a neighbour of Brazil for 37 years, I think I know them enough to be on the fence about that stereotype... ;)

I'm not certain that the United States of America should qualify as a Civ. It hasn't stood the test of time ...

Wait...what?

230 years since the Declaration of Independence. It's a blink in the eye of human history.

Even if one considered "contribution to human thought", the United States of America has contributed very little. Freedom? Not an American idea (and not actually practised there in comparison to many other places). Democracy? Nope, other people thought of that first. Capitalism? Adam Smith would be astonished to find out he was American.

Technological advancement? Maybe. And I mean maybe - it's very difficult to examine the long-term impact of things when it's just happened. And most of the significant advancements I can think of came from other places.

The one area I think the US has genuinely excelled, and could be considered having contributed to the world, is Marketing. And Edward Bernays was a naturalised American anyway. Also: thanks for nothing.

Bear in mind, I'm not suggesting that the US shouldn't be a Civ in Civ. I'm suggesting that if people are going to start doing a "what have they ever done" test, the US fails. As do almost every other Civ on the list.

US built the Apollo project.

The Germans were first into Space with the A-4. The Apollo project is a National Wonder in this game, not a World Wonder - because the Russians were in the race too.

An incremental improvement on an idea someone else had is not a bad thing, but I don't think the impact of being the first to the Moon is as important as the propaganda around it wants to make it seem.

See also: Edward Bernays.

Rome just copied everything the Greeks did first. Does that mean that Rome isn't a real civilization? America is like Rome to Britain's Greece.
American culture has spread across the globe. America is the most powerful and influential nation in terms of military and international relations. It was the first state specifically founded upon the principles of liberal democracy, which were developed in Europe beforehand but were not fully realized on the continent until after the French revolution, which was inspired by the American revolution. The only liberal state which preceded the United States was Britain, and in Britain constitutionalism developed as a way to mediate disputes between the crown and parliament rather than as an ideological buttress for the state.

As for only having existed for 2 centuries, the Neo-Babylonian empire only lasted like 75 years. But Babylon is always mentioned when speaking of ancient Mesopotamia and its contributions to civilization.

Rome just copied everything the Greeks did first. Does that mean that Rome isn't a real civilization? America is like Rome to Britain's Greece.
American culture has spread across the globe. America is the most powerful and influential nation in terms of military and international relations. It was the first state specifically founded upon the principles of liberal democracy, which were developed in Europe beforehand but were not fully realized on the continent until after the French revolution, which was inspired by the American revolution. The only liberal state which preceded the United States was Britain, and in Britain constitutionalism developed as a way to mediate disputes between the crown and parliament rather than as an ideological buttress for the state.

As for only having existed for 2 centuries, the Neo-Babylonian empire only lasted like 75 years. But Babylon is always mentioned when speaking of ancient Mesopotamia and its contributions to civilization.

I'm not the one suggesting that "X" civilisation shouldn't be in for "Y" reason, man.

Because for me, it's a strategy game - and I literally don't care what arbitrary label is given to the actors in that game.

*edit* I should have made it clearer in my initial post: exagerration to make a point.

I'm not certain that the United States of America should qualify as a Civ. It hasn't stood the test of time ...

Haha, my point was something like that - that even the US would not qualify as a civilization by some standards, and yet it has been included in every single Civ game. So if people aren't going to complain about America being included, then they shouldn't complain about Brazil or Indonesia either.

I think the issue is that many of the "civilizations" included are more of "nations." So America, France, England, Germany, etc. should all be included under the banner of a "Western civilization." But no one wants to play a game where about ten of the currently existing civs are replaced with a single "Western" civ. So for the sake of variety (and fun), having these nations represented as separate civs is better.

Just because a Civ isn't around for long time doesn't mean it's not important. The US has *arguably* been the predominant world power for almost 100 years now. Aside from Sumer (which, being the first Civ, couldn't really be the most powerful one), how many other Civs IRL have held that title and not been in the game? Not many (if any), I would guess.

I'm not saying the US is the "most qualified" Civ in the game, but to not have them in the game at all is, in a word, ridiculous.

/rant

The Germans were first into Space with the A-4. The Apollo project is a National Wonder in this game, not a World Wonder - because the Russians were in the race too.

An incremental improvement on an idea someone else had is not a bad thing, but I don't think the impact of being the first to the Moon is as important as the propaganda around it wants to make it seem.

See also: Edward Bernays.

You compare a short range ballistic missile (A-4/V-2) to the Apollo Program? The V-2 traveled a few hundred miles in a suborbital flight delivering a conventional bomb. Apollo traveled to and from the moon, roughly a half million mile round trip with humans aboard.

Of all the current civilizations, America will most also be the first to the nearest star system.

Sun Tzu Wu

Top Bottom