Crusader Kings 2

New CKII DLC has been announced, called "Way of Life", seems to be focusing on RPG features, particularly relationships.

Announcement from the forums:

While I'd normally be very happy with this sort of DLC similar to SoA, as opposed to a timeline or map expansion, I frankly feel very, very apprehensive about the whole thing because 1) it was announced so soon after CM was just released; and, 2) their planned beta patch system just seems a bit off to me (how will it even work? will it be like steam early access or some sort of pre-order bonus or something?), I understand they don't want a buggy mess like almost all the other major DLCs caused, but why couldn't they better utilize their actual beta testers (as I've heard the current devs really haven't been utilizing their beta testers)?

Well, we'll see how this goes. RPG-focused stuff is always nice, I've always preferred that anyways.

You can opt-in to betas and such (like old versions) in the preferences menu thing.

You can opt-in to betas and such (like old versions) in the preferences menu thing.

I'm aware of that, but that's not what I was talking about, my main concern is that they haven't been using their actual beta testers that well (so I've been told, and, judging by how buggy the recent major DLCs were, I can see how that could be the case), and now they're switching to another method of beta testing - I have my doubts as to whether this new method will really be that effective. All that said, I suppose this seems like a smaller sort of DLC that'd be better for testing whether this system would work than a big honking DLC.

In any Paradox patch/DLC/expansion, wait at least 6 months before actually trying it if you want a bugfree experience.

In any Paradox patch/DLC/expansion, wait at least 6 months before actually trying it if you want a bugfree experience.

Unfortunately so. I don't think that will change anytime soon, even with the increasing popularity and mainstream knowledge of PI.

All that said, I'm now currently more interested in how they're arguing about Gamersgate and political and correctness in the WoL announcement thread just because of PI's word choice of "seduce" in the announcement; some are accused of being PC feminist liberals, and those people are accusing the other side of being red pill rapists. How cute, PI fanbois, you never cease to amaze me with how easily you start flame wars over nothing.

Y'know what, I don't even care about whether WoL is gonna be good or not, I'm just secretly hoping the flame wars won't die down and it'll spawn even more PI fanboi flamewars that will consume the entire world in a hellish apocalypse of stupid internet arguments. I'm a terrible person, I know.

This is really, really nice. I always saw and played CK2 as more an RPG than a strategy game so more of this is wonderful.

Since CK2 has always been more about stry/character than a strategy game, it's quite weird t took so long for them to put it in. You could even argue it should be in from the beginning.

And yeah, its really short after the previous dlc, i see a bad pattern emerging. I once said its gonna break the 200€ dlc barier as a joke, thats close to reality now

Fortunately I haven't paid nearly so much for the DLC. Thank you Steam discounts!

Now I'm more inclined to wait again. Shoot.

Its about time, I just hope they don't cop out and only introduce a handful of features. I'd especially enjoy far more to actually do with my character, the random events can be very few and far between. Hell I usually don't bother with those ambitions that increase stats because they take years to fire if they even fire at all!

The game has actually gotten pretty dull for me in the last year or so because I feel like I spend far too much time fast forwarding the game just to get to the next war or battle as other events are, again, few and far between and I can barely do anything with my own character aside from hunting or holding a feast.

It will be rather nice to not have to always assassinate lovers when the relationship is stale. You'd have thought they would have figured that our by Charlemagne's time, I guess it took a few hundred more years.

Not really much to go on yet, though. I've been more into EU4 and now Vicky2 than CKII this year, so I'll probably skip at launch.

Y'know what, I don't even care about whether WoL is gonna be good or not, I'm just secretly hoping the flame wars won't die down and it'll spawn even more PI fanboi flamewars that will consume the entire world in a hellish apocalypse of stupid internet arguments. I'm a terrible person, I know.

...what? How is seduce supposed to be feminist PC stuff?

...nevermind I don't want to know.

Well I have a non-gross theory, and it's that if you're a lady ruler, you can try to seduce an emperor or someone else with really nice lands, and then your child together will eventually get claims on said lands. Plus you have +75 relations with the ruler you're screwing.

Well I have a non-gross theory, and it's that if you're a lady ruler, you can try to seduce an emperor or someone else with really nice lands, and then your child together will eventually get claims on said lands. Plus you have +75 relations with the ruler you're screwing.

Only if you do matrilinial, or its game over

Having some time to think about it, I think I still have the same stance on WoL: on one hand I'm happy that they're doing something like SoA that adds "depth," but at the same time I'm still a bit hesitant about how this beta patching system is going to work (not to mention this was announced so soon after CM).

Anyhow, as long as this makes it easier to pull off some Xwedodah, I'm not complaining (yet).

...what? How is seduce supposed to be feminist PC stuff?

...nevermind I don't want to know.

Y'know what why don't I just summarize what happened:

• Group of posters (A) take issue with word "seduce" claiming it is analogous to misygonisic abuse or something and that PI is being immoral or insensitive or something
  • Group of posters (B) reasonably counter A, that CKII has a lot of worse stuff in it and/or that PI isn't being misogynistic or whatever
  • Group of posters (C) say that A are a bunch of ******** PC liberals
  • A accuses C and B of being MRA pro-rape misogynists
  • B says A are the kind of people that make feminism look bad
  • C counters A with predictable mudslinging counterarguments
  • And it goes on and on until the mods remove the posts and tell people to take the arguments elsewhere

Tl;dr: PI forums

Ah, ok, in that order, yes, I can see it happening. I had misread your initial post so it sounded like A were claiming Paradox's use of seduce was bowing to feminism.

Ah, ok, in that order, yes, I can see it happening. I had misread your initial post so it sounded like A were claiming Paradox's use of seduce was bowing to feminism.

If only it were that simple. :|

PI flamewars are so ridiculous, often you don't want to sympathize even with the side you agree with 100%.

If only it were that simple. :|

PI flamewars are so ridiculous, often you don't want to sympathize even with the side you agree with 100%.

And PI forum trolls said CFC is more trollish...

Anyhow, as long as this makes it easier to pull off some Xwedodah, I'm not complaining (yet).

I never saw an Internet slang that has such good translation into Old Persian.

Maybe somebody can help me with this situation I have in my game:

- I am king (A) of Poland
- My son (B) is born and is heir to the crown of Poland.
- Son (B) marries Queen of Hungary (X)
- Son has son (C)
- I (A) die, and B becomes King of Poland AND King of Hungary - However, Poland and Hungary still exist of individual kingdoms. The Queen of Hungary (X) is on the main "Ruler of country" panel for Hungary, and I am effectively the "first gentleman" type of King (I think)
- Queen of Hungary (X) dies - B continues being King of both nations.
- C (A's grandsom, B's son) is now heir to the crown of Poland AND heir the crown of Hungary.
- B dies. C becomes King of Hungary and gets a couple Polish provices. A new King of Poland, the cousin of B is suddenly king of Poland.

Why didn't C become King of both countries? Why didn't they merge into one kingdom? How was it decided that he was going to become King of Hungary but not King of Poland?

Poland was running under elective monarchy, if that changes anything, but up until my death the heir was C. Then when B dies.. .. all of a sudden that was all ignored and somebody else became king.

So what am I missing? And is there a way to merge two kingdoms under 1 crown in a scenario like this? I would like to continue playing as a family running the Polish kingdom - not Hungarian, if a merge is not possible. So what makes the game decide to hand C the kingdom of Hungary - but not Poland?

So after the queen of hungary died, B was ruling both countries as one realm? The most obvious case I can see is if Hungary became your main title and it had Gavelkind law leading to the split. Though I'm not really sure if it works like that, haven't played in a while.

Edit: The more I think about this the more confused I get, when the queen of hungary died shouldn't her title have passed directly to her son C rather than her husband as the post seems to suggest?

Maybe I messed up the order of things there... but I don't think so. I am about 70% sure that she died and her husband (King of poland - me) remained being King of the country, the heir staying as their son as well. So basically I was king of the country before she died, and after.

I didn't realize there was such a thing as a main title. That could very well be it. If someone is King of two countries though, how do you figure out which the main title is? And countries ever merge when having the same king? And if so, under which conditions?

Top Bottom