Does the AI hate science funding?

IIRC at the start of a game each value is randomly adjusted between +2 and -2 for each leader. So Gahndi's 12 on nuking, besides looking silly, never goes below 10 on nukes to secure the in-joke :p

I have been playing Civ5 for a good while now and I'm yet to see Gandhi using a nuke on anyone

on the flipside, I torched his ass pretty much every game where he was in range :lol:

They have very detailed personalities... But without that checked, they have definite flavours.

Yes. Although flavors are just weighted randomness so you will still see different policies for the same AI.

IIRC at the start of a game each value is randomly adjusted between +2 and -2 for each leader.

I agree with all of the above, I would just point out that much of the personality/flavor is very much subservient to what is going on in the game. It also seems to me that the opportunities for in-game expression of traits is limited to certain behaviors. So while a particular value might nominally be on ten scale, there are only a couple ways for that value to be expressed in-game. If that is correct, then there could quite a difference between (say) 5 and 6 (because 5- manifests in one stance, and 6+ in another). With these undocumented thresholds and the +/- 2 points (so a 5 point range on a ~10 point scale) an AI can behave quite differently game-to-game. I feel like I need to face an AI civ several games in row to get a sense for what is their personality, what is determined by circumstances, and what is RNG. And then I look them up on civdata.com and can always find a number someplace that affirms what I have concluded...

OK, beetle, but don't try to complicate it too much. Just concentrate on what matters most to the VC that YOU are pursuing.

If you're playing peaceful, just be aware that, aside from literally 4 or 5 of the 43 civs, most will DoW you if it suits them, regardless of how many bright green modifiers you have. There are some on these boards who will swear that 5+ green modifiers or going to -100 or whatever it is will keep you safe, but if your military is below average, and they need lebensraum (especially if they are expansionist, they will think about DoWing you). So build that military and be ready for it.

If you're playing to win by Domination, then personality-wise you only need to be aware that certain civs just WILL NOT DoW others, and therefore you cannot make them look bad, prior to denouncing them yourself. So try to kill these ones early as poss, so that the diplo hit will recover later.

Far more important for both peaceful AND warring games is knowing who can get completely out of control unless dealt with. So an unmolested Korea can win anywhere between 220 and 280. Better to send someone after them, or if playing peaceful with no bribes, go for a faster, riskier win yourself.

Many civs have the ability to go out of control culture-wise, but if your tourism is high enough, you will probably still overcome them before anyone else wins.

If you want to PM me with more specific strategy problems, feel free. I'm not the best player, but I can usually win most maps nowadays.

The practicality of this feature is that the AI will only favor the science policy if going for science victory. 9 out of 10 times, they wont. They will vote in Arts instead and screw you. Its rigged. I've seen France and moreso Russia favor it. Still its hard to get it voted in if you want it. AND it can hurt relations.

Add it all up and you can see that it is something that would really help you if you could achieve it.

If you're playing peaceful, just be aware that, aside from literally 4 or 5 of the 43 civs, most will DoW you if it suits them, regardless of how many bright green modifiers you have.

I agree with your whole post, but I think this point is particularly astute.

If you want to PM me with more specific strategy problems, feel free. I'm not the best player, but I can usually win most maps nowadays.

I may do that. I have pretty much hit a plateau, but I don’t know the questions I should be asking -- and not much interested in watching hours and hours of unedited video to figure it out.

I
I may do that. I have pretty much hit a plateau, but I don’t know the questions I should be asking -- and not much interested in watching hours and hours of unedited video to figure it out.

Yeah, I've long had viewers ask me to do something like a stream(ala MadDjinn's Beyond the Monument) or an FAQ video or something along those lines, but that's always been the problem: people don't know what questions to ask and I don't know what questions to answer! :crazyeye:

I have been playing Civ5 for a good while now and I'm yet to see Gandhi using a nuke on anyone

on the flipside, I torched his ass pretty much every game where he was in range :lol:

I was trying to torch shaka with Gandhi but failed miserably. I even had war elephants and swordsmen but It still couldnt beat impies.

Yeah, I've long had viewers ask me to do something like a stream(ala MadDjinn's Beyond the Monument) or an FAQ video or something along those lines, but that's always been the problem: people don't know what questions to ask and I don't know what questions to answer! :crazyeye:

I can give you a question to start with, which I am not 100% sure on myself:

Knowing when to attack, and when to wait, on a DomV ;)

Sometimes I rush into an assault and realise that my units are not quite up to scratch for a smooth conquest due to units the AI has that I couldn't see in the fog of war. If I can't get OB to check, or my spy is needed elsewhere, are there any other signs that my troops don't have quite the edge they should have?

Top Bottom