Byzantine lobby for civ5

I'm a fan of the Byzantines as well, but I worry that if you start making graphics this early, you'll be sure to have compatibility issues, either with the filetype you're creating, or with the size, or any number of other issues that won't allow it to mesh easily with Civ 5, you'll be stuck having to fix up or redo the excellent work you've already done.

I hope I'm wrong about this, I don't know much about graphics, but if I'm even a little right you may be better off thinking about general ideas for your Byzantine mod, rather than creating concrete pieces of it, at least until we know how Civ 5 city graphics will function.

Thanks Varwnos! What about buildings like Columns or Triumphal Arches that are part of the city's building mix.... It's just eye candy, but it does the Byzantines justice. Or maybe something to do with the Theodosian walls? Other than that, keep going, because this cause is one I'm behind.

Petition - Signed

I'll take the Byzantines in any form, official, or unofficial, that I can get them.
How a 1,000 year empire as large and influential as them can ever be left out boggles my mind... especially with cultures that dropped like flies when more advanced civilizations came along (thinking New World civs) are in the game.

I'll take the Byzantines in any form, official, or unofficial, that I can get them.
How a 1,000 year empire as large and influential as them can ever be left out boggles my mind... especially with cultures that dropped like flies when more advanced civilizations came along (thinking New World civs) are in the game.

I have to agree. I have a fascination with the Byzantines. Varwnos work on the buildings looks very good.

Currently i have modelled another building, the holy apostles (of Thessalonike). I will probably create this monastery in Mistra as the centerpiece of the undustrial era:

I had modelled the Parthenon, but didnt like how it looked at this scale. Also i want to have byzantine buildings all around :)

As of right now, there are only 16 confirmed Civs... so, we still have a chance!
Make some noise people!!!
Write Firaxis!

I agree with you, they should have been in the game. Instead there were some barbaric civs there, but that is what modding is for :)

The only confirmed barbaric Civ is the Aztec. They where infact not an empire, but a confederation of 3 cities based on Tenochtitlan.........The Inca where as centralized, if not more than Classical Rome(Governors, assimilate the conquered, most of the power in the Caesar/Emperor) and *roughly* equal tech to ancient Rome save the big one, being metal working. The Incans had roads as good as the Romans, military quality and training being as good(all men served in the military for atleast 1 campagin after ardeous training), and actually, like Rome, the Inca Empire was entirely reunited however briefly all the way to the collapse of the Empire, at which point they spent decades retreating farther and farther into the Andes until they finally reached Vilcabamba and lost to the Spaniards..........this sounds a lot like Rome, doesn't it?

Point being: The Inca Empire was far from barbaric. The Rome of the New World, in a comparative form of way.

IDK why everyone cares what civilizations make it into the game. Honestly, if they were just

Civilization 1
Civilization 2
Civilization 3

or

Team Red
Team Blue
Team Gold

I wouldn't care. The Civs in BTS didn't add a whole lot of flavor. It doesn't change the core gameplay. You still use the same strategies to beat team red as you would the Russians.

The Inca where as centralized, if not more than Classical Rome(Governors, assimilate the conquered, most of the power in the Caesar/Emperor) and *roughly* equal tech to ancient Rome save the big one, being metal working.
You are forgetting some other key techs they never got to...
Writing
The Wheel

Code of Laws
Philosophy
Construction (though they had some knowledge of this, siege engines were lacking as far as I know)
Currency
Representation
Drama
Horseback Riding
Monotheism
Paper
Sailing
Theology
I could be wrong on a few of those, but for the most part...
But, it is accurate to say they were pretty advanced compared to the Aztecs.

Hey, they may well have researched horseback riding! Just, no horse resource nearby. :)
There were once horse in the Americas before the Europeans reintroduced them. The people ate them all... not a very good example of animal husbandry! But, they did domestic other animals.

There were once horse in the Americas before the Europeans reintroduced them. The people ate them all

I have never read this. Can you provide a source please? [Genuinely curious.]

Top Bottom