A dinosaur needs some help.

Matovia

Chieftain
Hello.

Currently suffering from severe CIV 2 withdrawal symptoms. To cut a long story short, my ancient desktop PC died. A friend saved the hard-disk for me and I managed to download all the CIV 2 files.

Bought a second hand PC, running the same VISTA windows and added the MPS file to it but it will not play the game.

How can I get it to work?

Also, if anybody can help, please be patient and explain the 'how' in terms that you would teach a small, and not particular smart, 5 year old chimp. This tech stuff makes my head hurt. :(

Thank you in advance. If I can get this working again, then I will be a happy old man. It is the one computer game that I still play.

I believe you need a way of officially 'reinstalling' it. Windows, going back as far as at least Windows 95, needs to 'acknowledge' many (in the last almost a decade of released games, pretty much all) games, applications, and other programs as 'installed,' from and .exe or .com file (usually on a disk or downloaded) before it will actual play it or even acknowledge it's existence. Just copying and pasting the game folder wholesale to a new computer, as far as I know, is not sufficient. I hope that helps somewhat, but, given the sound of your situation, likely opens up a new can of troubles.

I second Patine and add that you should browse the tech subforum instead of General Discussions. Your problem is not all that unusual and I am sure you will find help there. Wish you a speedy recovery before the withdrawal symptoms get severe.

When you are fully recovered consider joining other active Civ2 players in the ongoing Game of The Month subforum.

Hello!

Actually I don't think that the installation procedure should be much of a problem - for me an installation on an external hard disk runs on any computer (after all, Civ2 is from a time before deep integration into the OS was cool and fancy ...)

Perhaps it's the processor architecture - is the new PC a 64bit machine? Did you apply the 64-bit patch (or the entire ToTPP package)?

Just buy a ready-to-go DOSBox'd copy here. Works on Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10. They have a lot of old games including Civ 1.

The entire installed directory of CIV2 can be installed and played from a USB on 64-bit systems easily.

Buy the original game on Amazon or elsewhere, install it, copy/paste the whole thing to a USB chip and you have a backup forever.

You can then tell windows to run it in compatibility mode for Win95, or Win98.

For even more fun, get Test of Time, acquire the ToTPP mod here on CFC, and it extends and fixes many aspects of the game.

All the best
Curt

The entire installed directory of CIV2 can be installed and played from a USB on 64-bit systems easily.

Buy the original game on Amazon or elsewhere, install it, copy/paste the whole thing to a USB chip and you have a backup forever.

You can then tell windows to run it in compatibility mode for Win95, or Win98.

For even more fun, get Test of Time, acquire the ToTPP mod here on CFC, and it extends and fixes many aspects of the game.

All the best
Curt

Thanks for the info bruh

Top Bottom