RAND Absurbaties/Abnormalaties Bugs and game play errors

Another weirdness in the second screenshot: why does AI build 15 Imams?

I've seen that happen for quite some time now, and I can say it just baffles me. The AI will stockpile tons of missionaries and then just park them somewhere. Once a path opens up to a city that doesn't have that religion, it'll send them ALL towards it - even if another leader is at war with them and their army is standing in the way :p

Seriously, I was at war with this one leader, and while my troops were headed towards his empire, there was this long line of missionaries weaving past my troops to who knows where. They wouldn't even flee, just happily ignoring my units as they marched off - and got killed each turn. :crazyeye:

Before I declared, they just sat in the capitol twiddling their thumbs, but once the declaration came they just stormed off past my army - or tried to anyway. This was on a 'Hub' mapscript, and I had a captured city on the only bridge off the guy's island, so there was no way he could get off it without an Ocean-capable ship which was several eras away, or Right of Passage which he refused to sign. So once the War Declaration came and made the cultural barrier disappear, he sent all his missionaries to the now-opened path. Even though I had a big army in the way :lol:

Bah. Open your borders. Let the religion flow. Then take over the Holy City for epic moneys.

Bah. Open your borders. Let the religion flow. Then take over the Holy City for epic moneys.

I'm a warmonger at heart and this was my third declaration on him, so he refused to sign open borders with me under any conditions (Wasn't even an option!). I declared on him for the fourth and final time when he refused a tribute demand and he was gone a few dozen turns later. His neighbor was the one who founded the religion he was running and I can't remember what became of it. Lots of wars were going on through the course of the game, and I think someone eventually razed it (Was tundra locked and had only a single source of Copper in the vicinity so...)

Actually, you first need an embassy to get Open Borders. What about Rights of passage?

Actually, you first need an embassy to get Open Borders. What about Rights of passage?

Only if you're playing with Advanced Diplomacy. I wasn't at the time :)
So Open Borders was the only option I had (And he refused to do so ever since the second declaration I made on him. Having a different religion contributed to that too I think)

I've seen that happen for quite some time now, and I can say it just baffles me. The AI will stockpile tons of missionaries and then just park them somewhere. Once a path opens up to a city that doesn't have that religion, it'll send them ALL towards it - even if another leader is at war with them and their army is standing in the way :p

Seriously, I was at war with this one leader, and while my troops were headed towards his empire, there was this long line of missionaries weaving past my troops to who knows where. They wouldn't even flee, just happily ignoring my units as they marched off - and got killed each turn. :crazyeye:

Before I declared, they just sat in the capitol twiddling their thumbs, but once the declaration came they just stormed off past my army - or tried to anyway. This was on a 'Hub' mapscript, and I had a captured city on the only bridge off the guy's island, so there was no way he could get off it without an Ocean-capable ship which was several eras away, or Right of Passage which he refused to sign. So once the War Declaration came and made the cultural barrier disappear, he sent all his missionaries to the now-opened path. Even though I had a big army in the way :lol:

This is a drawback to using Fixed Borders and Religious Victory condition and sometimes Civic choices. Mastery Victory activates Religious Victory, along of course with all other Victory conditions.

Mastery Victory was never fully tested on how it affects the other Victory settings. It is just a means to group all of them with % achievements.

I stopped using Mastery and FB long ago because it's overkill and has unintended by products like this that have never been addressed.

JosEPh

@ Vokarya On Oil products, I was being too literal I see. On steamer, I was thinking of an earlier SVN, where they could attack other shipping, or maybe I'm confused over that, I haven't tried to test the current versions, so could be my bad :(

Chemicals, I almost NEVER settle a city later in the game, and if I do, or I have a laggard, I spam it with Caravan's and Transports, and spend some gold to finish building. (The Hammer bonuses) I guess my game play doesn't suit the "ideal" of using chemicals, so be it. I just saw the bonus, and thought "hey I'm building laboratories in ALL my cities, but plastics is in next era?? what gives.

Steamers, I've had a think about this, and Coal would be an ideal resource to allow production (really powering) of the steam turbines. This historically fits (Wood for the American steamers, but what wood resource?) Wasn't Oil more for the later Post dreadnought class of shipping, the 'Oilier' to refuel the fleet. Anyway it has to fit into tech tree limits and it only a game, not reality.

On Caravans, I was only building 5, I only ever could build 5, and only would ever build 5. As each caravan is used up, I would build another on the NEXT turn. As I was only able to build on that turn if I had 1 existing spare from the previous turn already.

It is a bug, I had 2 completed and heading to cities or awaiting the disembarkation turn to be rushed into buildings, I had 3 in production. It cancelled the production 3, and then IMMEDIATELY allowed me to build another 3.

@ 43 Deg & et al - I am the tech leader, the Agricultural tools tech, I skipped, and only gained as I needed it for a current tech research. I'm probably 10 tech's ahead, as there is 3 lines on teching you can follow. *Well done on tech tree design* :goodjob:

I've said I should suck it up, ok I should, I understand the ideal of tech diffusion. If I can highlight problems for other levels, I've achieved my aim. Early on in the game, I'd get tech diffusion, and concurring diffusion. I probably hit the lead about Machinery on my continent, and only notice the diffusion come discovery of the 2nd continent, and the leaps they suddenly made. I still see the SMALLEST falling levels behind, and example is I had Swordsmen, and the other AI's on my continent, only had lightswords for a long time, much longer then I actually expected, but I was at war with EVERYONE so maybe that slowed it down.

On High explosives, maybe add it to the Civopedia.

On the Road bonuses, who has roads after railways, I automate my workers, and they just spam Railway's over every single networked tile.

On Worker Automaton, What about making all the automated options OFF for the Human player, and leave them as on for the AI. Then if you want an automated option, you have to turn it ON specifically, instead of having auto workers spam them when you forget to turn them off upon receiving the Tech.

On worker automaton, are you able to only have automated workers improve tiles, within the worked area of a city, so if using 1 tile radius, only improves within that area, if working a 3 tile radius, it improves within the 3 tiles, and not the culturally enveloped area.

Finally why No number 8 I had it written down, but crossed it out, along with No 2 which I renamed on the fly, but missed 8, sorry, my mistake.

Saved game attached. ENJOY

IPEX, I need a save of the turn when you were getting Tech Diffusion. You're getting none in the save you've attached, of course. But in your second screenshot, you were getting it and I need a save of that turn or earlier.

Edit: anyway the problem is probably that tech diffusion starts kicking in when you're 90% of the known top civ tech score IIRC. If AI is getting ahead of you in just one tech at that gamespeed/handicap level, like it seems it happened, you're considered behind. Possibly because of the cost of a single tech at that speed/handicap. I've never tried such extreme settings, but you can bet I'll work on it. No way that you can be that far ahead with that handicap and gamespeed.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13326370 said:
IPEX, I need a save of the turn when you were getting Tech Diffusion. You're getting none in the save you've attached, of course. But in your second screenshot, you were getting it and I need a save of that turn or earlier.

Edit: anyway the problem is probably that tech diffusion starts kicking in when you're 90% of the known top civ tech score IIRC. If AI is getting ahead of you in just one tech at that gamespeed/handicap level, like it seems it happened, you're considered behind. Possibly because of the cost of a single tech at that speed/handicap. I've never tried such extreme settings, but you can bet I'll work on it. No way that you can be that far ahead with that handicap and gamespeed.

Yeah, if we do some calcs it's easy to see that if you're below 90% of the leader of tech getting to 50% of TD isn't hard. The formula puts 1000 - 1000*mod, and this mod is always a number smaller then 1, so that second 1000 get's decreased.

In order to yield 50% (imagining we are already getting the max from the previous part of the formula, that's 7%, we have to make the result of the current formula be 43, which means mod must be 0.957.

But now comes the interesting part:

Mod is discovered by getting 0.98^(90 - PlayerTech%)
PlayerTech% is the ratio of your tech points/best techer tech points multiplied by 100 to be between 1 - 100.

If you have 89% of best player's tech points, Mod yields 0.98, which will make TD go to 27% already. If it's 88 it yields 47%. If it's 87 it yields 66%.

That's why it's broken, because until 90% you may at most get 7% of TD. Below 90%, in 89% you get 27% TD at most (and 20% at minimum) which is a good increase. 88 - 47%, 87 - 66%. The increase is really fast.

Top Bottom