How did my neighbour get his religion back?

Autoclave

Warlord
I had successfully converted all the neighbour cities. They had no missionaries and no prophets available. Their original holy city had only followers of my religion.

HOW did they get their cities converted back to their original religion? Did faith generating prophets give them prophets of their own religion despite having no followers of their own religion? If they bought missionaries, those would have been missionaries of my religion.

even though they have no followers, they still get faith from their improvements, and then can purchase missionaries/prophets/inquisitors of the appropriate religion, which isn't yours, but theirs.

at least, that's how i understand it

Holy city status exerts 30 pressure against that city for the appropriate religion regardless of the presence of followers. The only ways to permanently stamp out a religion are to raze the holy city or to found another religion in that city (at which point the balance between the two religions will not change without outside influence).

And remember that pressure will only be displayed in the tooltip if they have at least one follower. Their original religion could still be exerting a lot of pressure when you flipped them temporarily.

A missionary/prophet generated from a city will be the religion of that city so this would not work for them. However, a holy city will always generate some pressure onto itself eventually allowing the religion to come back.

The only way of preventing this is to wipe out the religion from the holy city and then capture the holy city. It will be gone for good then.

I suspect that even if you lose all your followers, the prophets that you get from faith are still of your own religion. I've actually seen them getting a prophet of their own religion converting the cities back, (they had no prophets when i converted their cities, i am absolutely sure).

That was no gradual conversion, i was playing arabia with trade routs, improved pressure enhancer and the national wonder that double the pressure from the capital. They had over 100 pressure onto their capital.

So it looks like, the religion of the spawned prophet is always the one originally founded by that civ.

I suspect that even if you lose all your followers, the prophets that you get from faith are still of your own religion. I've actually seen them getting a prophet of their own religion converting the cities back, (they had no prophets when i converted their cities, i am absolutely sure).

That was no gradual conversion, i was playing arabia with trade routs, improved pressure enhancer and the national wonder that double the pressure from the capital. They had over 100 pressure onto their capital.

So it looks like, the religion of the spawned prophet is always the one originally founded by that civ.

Prophets from faith, yes, they are of your own religion. I should have clarified. Its only if you buy a prophet from a city it would have that cities religion.

Top Bottom