Windows 10 Install

Update on version...says Game of the year on box....in fine print Civ4:Warloads. I do not have Beyond the Sword version.

As I stated in my instructions - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=408537 - You need to install Civ 4 in its own separate folder and not the default c:\Program files(x86)\ as this will cause problems.

Please follow my instructions and that should help with your problem. Note you will need to do a full uninstall first.

EDIT: Both Vanilla and Warlords will not run on Windows 7/8/10

Update on version...says Game of the year on box....in fine print Civ4:Warloads. I do not have Beyond the Sword version.

That explains everything!

There are two expansions for CIV, in addition to the original game. It appears that you only have the original game and the first expansion, if your game includes the original. The expansion won't run without the original game.

The 3.19 patch is for the second expansion, "Beyond the Sword" (usually referred to as BTS). So, when you run the patch it is looking for files to update that are not there, which is why nothing happens.

Only BTS has the disc free patch. All BTS patches before 3.19 still require the disc to be in the drive. Both the original game and the first expansion (Warlords) require the disc to be in the drive. Microsoft has removed the code (secdrv) from Windows 10 which allows it to access the CIV discs (as well as many other games) because they had written in a way that allowed hackers to find a way into the system, so Microsoft removed it as a security risk.

So, if you want to play CIV on Windows 10, you will need to be sure that you have the original game in the package with Warlords and then buy BTS (or get someone to gift it to you) and then run the patch, if your BTS is not already 3.19. Alternatively, you can purchase an online DRM download version of CIV, which will not require any discs. There are several online sources. If you ask in a thread in the General Discussion forum, people there will tell you where they got it and what they think of the service. Each of the various download versions only work with the expansions from the same service. If you want to be able to use the disc version that you have, you will need a disc version of BTS. A download version won't work with your disc.

patch 3.17 requires previously installed versions of BTS. patch 3.19 is looking for 4 .dll files.

Since I have Civ IV:Warlords, shouldn't I attempt to solve the install problem on Windows 10 for Warlords before moving on to BTS??

Since Windows 10 has XP, shouldn't this be a straight forward install problem?

Install: Yes - Can run it: No

Read my patch install order in my thread.

OK kiwitt...instructions look good...however i need a different source for the 1st four patches..."gamers hell" is indeed a hell...cannot download. Is there an alt?

If I have Civ IV:Warlords File version 1.6.1, what's take to get this to run on Windows 10? There are 3 more patches for Warlords as I see from Kiwitt's instructions, but these patches have nothing to do with Windows 10. The soft ware is apparently designed for Window xp, which as I uunderstand Windows 10, xp with SP3 is included in 10. So why doesn't the game run (it is not in programs (x86). New CD_ROM disks were copied into new "Games" folder.

Running the install wizard from sys admin does not get me beyond "agreement". I cannot get the wizard to run to complete the installation.

There is a way to install SafeDisc on Windows 10 machines. The procedure is explained in the external link provided in this post.

Considering the circumstances, another alternative is of course to find a no-CD crack.

You people rock. You gave me the only solutions that worked! Thanks!

Top Bottom