GIMP Perspective Tutorial - Abstract Cities

Gray Wolf

Winter Wolf
OK, this is fun and different so I thought I'd share it with everyone.

It's a way to make an Abstract City Platform or an Abstract Building using another image as a base.

Attachments

• Aztec Pattern.jpg
    Aztec Pattern.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 237
  • Aztec City Platform.png
    Aztec City Platform.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 240
  • Aztec Croc.jpg
    Aztec Croc.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 233
  • Aztec Croc Temple.png
    Aztec Croc Temple.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 253
Ok, let's start with an Aztec pattern I found on Google images (attached in zip file):

Spoiler :

Make a bigger Transparent canvas to put it into... so we can stretch the image...

File/New
Width: 300
Height: 300
Fill with Transparency
OK

Abstract Pattern image: Edit/Copy
Transparent Canvas: Edit/Paste Into. Then Layer/Anchor Layer

Spoiler :

Ok, we're going to use the GIMP perspective tool to warp this thing!

Tools/Transform/Perspective. You'll see your image with a grid on it.

Spoiler :

You'll also see this Perspective layout box. Don't worry about it right now.

Spoiler :

Now let's warp this thing into a city platform! Just pull the 4 corners with your mouse until you get something like this.

Spoiler :

When you like what you have, click the Transform button. GIMP will make your new image:

And you can scale it and use it in a city file:

Spoiler :

Anyway, if someone wants to be daring enough to make their cities look like rugs, I attached the rAmer.pcx file below! LOL. :)

Attachments

• rAmer.pcx
    29.6 KB · Views: 274
Well, I did this for fun but I think it may have some uses. I really like the Aztac Temple I made out
of an image of an Aztec crocodile...

Attachments

• Aztec Croc.png
    Aztec Croc.png
    122.4 KB · Views: 248
  • Aztec Crocodile Temple.png
    Aztec Crocodile Temple.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 275
Interesting tutorial. One practical way it could be used is to make a "map" then place various 3d buildings on it.

Or for a scenario based on something like the checkerboard world from Alice Through the Looking Glass.

Map tiles would be neat but they'd have to be very precise. Yea, if anyone needs a checkerboard city, I'd make it for them.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to create images with the same exact dimensions each time. I'm not sure I understand all of the numbers in the Transform Dialog box.

I'm not sure I understand all of the numbers
in the Transform Dialog box.
Beginning GIMP says on p. 148 that the "dialog pops up, giving you a bunch of data you probably don't need, ..."
Right now I'm trying to figure out how to create images with the same exact dimensions each time.
If you don't mind slight distortion of the content, then after doing the change in perspective scale both x & y to match the dimensions in pixels. Or put guide lines on a separate layer then move the grab handles to change the perspective.

Or put guide lines on a separate layer then move the grab handles to change the perspective.

Wow, I'm just now comprehending the incredible usefulness of layers! Thanks, I'm going to play around with that.
You are right. You could just grab the handles to the corners of the layer image.

Ok, I had some time today and I added another template to the City Template.xcf file.
I call it the Abstract City Template. It helps you create an Abstract City (Size 1).
I attached the files below.

First, here is an image of the Abstract City Template:

So let's create an abstract city using this ancient Navajo rug pattern as an example:

Attachments

• Abstract Files.zip
    155.4 KB · Views: 205
Ok, Open up the Navajo Pattern image that I attached and then Edit/Copy it.

Now, go to the City Template and do a CNTL-L to open the layer dialog box. Then click on the Layer called Abstract City Template so we can work on it.

Now do an Edit/Paste as/New Layer.

You should see this:

Spoiler :

Ok, now do a Shift-P to enter Perspective Mode.

You should see this:
Spoiler :

Ok, notice how the 4 corners of the Navajo image have little squares around them. We need to pull each one of the Navajo corners to each of the corners of the Abstract City that is in the middle of the template.

So start pulling each corner towards the Abstract City, like this:

Spoiler :

Just keep dragging it until you overlap the Abstract City with your Navajo Pattern, like this:
Spoiler :

Now click the Transform button.
Now do a Layer/Layer to Image Size.

Now open up the Layers Dialog Box and Rename the Layer called Clipboard to "My New City".
Right click on the Clipboard layer. Select Edit Layer Attributes. Change the Layer Name to "My New City". Click OK.

If you turn off visibility for everything except the "My New City", you'll see your new city on a transparent background.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

So now you have a new Abstract City that you can use somewhere else. Just Click on the Abstract City Layer (so you can work on that layer) and then use the Rectangle Tool (R) to select it and do an Edit/Copy. Then you can paste it as a new image or paste it into another layer, etc.

I hope this makes sense because it's hard to explain.

Also, I just wanted to say that you don't have to use this template to make an Abstract City. You can open up the Navajo image and paste it into a different GIMP canvas and work on it there until you have what you like. I just made this Abstract City Template so that I could create cities with the same exact size and perspective whenever I want. And it's easy to stretch the cities a little bigger to make a size 2 city or a size 3 city. I guess if you wanted your size 2 cities to be exactly the same size, you'd need to make another Template for it... I don't see the need for that right now though.

I'm not sure why I went to so much trouble making a template for Abstract Cities and a tutorial about it. Most people will probably never want to create/use them.

But I sort of like them. I guess it's the artist in me.

Here's what one of mine looks like in the game:

Top Bottom