Does AI always agree to white peace?

Hpuk

Warlord
I noticed since BNW came out, that either the AI is trying to trick me, or there is some bug here. As long as the AI is willing to negotiate about peace with me, they will agree to white peace, even if they are massivily more powerful than I am. If I click the "What deal will end this conflict?" button, they will ask for all my cities, but I can just click those away and the deal will work fine.

Since it could be that the AI is just trying some bluff by asking for all my cities, I thought I'd ask people to keep an eye on this, and try suggesting a white peace in their next games if you are in a situation like this, to see if it's a bug.

Here's a save where you can see what I mean, go ask Napoleon what deal will end the conflict, and you can see him wanting 5 of my cities, then just remove those cities from the trade window and he'll agree to the white peace anyway. It's using the beta patch, though the bug/feature/oddity has been present since BNW launched.

Attachments

• Boudicca_0052 BC-1920.Civ5Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
I've been seeing this since BNW launched, which resulted in some unnecessarily long wars until I figured out that removing the demands would work. I guess it makes sense that they would try to dupe you into giving more than they actually want.

You also see that in trade negotiations the AI will tell you that they are not prepared to make you a reasonable offer for a luxury, yet if you manually set it to 5gpt, they will give it. This one does not make any sense.

You also see that in trade negotiations the AI will tell you that they are not prepared to make you a reasonable offer for a luxury, yet if you manually set it to 5gpt, they will give it. This one does not make any sense.
I think this is because 5 gpt is not reasonable though, it's a very bad deal for you :lol:.
As for the White Peace, sounds weird that they'd always try to dupe you as they did introduce all these peace deal levels in the G&K fall patch:
New peace deals. Now 9 AI levels instead of the previous 5 (so one new level added between each of the earlier ones). Peace levels are now:

0: White Peace (give up nothing)
1: Armistice (1/2 gold, 1/2 of max GPT)
2: Settlement (all gold, max GPT)
3: Back-down (all luxuries, all gold, max GPT, open borders)
4: Submission (all resources, all gold, max GPT, open borders)
5: Surrender (one city)
6: Cession (1/4 city value, 1/2 gold)
7: Capitulation (1/3 city value, all gold)
8: Unconditional Surrender (all but capital, all gold)

Currently in my games they seem to ask for 1-8, but if I can open the peace deal negotiations, they will always still agree to 0.

It seems like a bug, and it's there most often, but it doesn't seem universal. I guess it's probably a bad number somewhere that makes them too prone to agree to a white peace.

But I've still had cases where the AI refused to budge. It's only after I refused three times they ended up accepting to give me a white peace.

When they would give you a white peace even though they're much stronger it can even be exploited if they have a belief that give a bonus when at peace (Swords into ploughshares). It's beneficial to refuse them peace a few times after you destroyed their invasion. They get eager to settle and end up offering more than a white peace after a while. Napoleon came very close to conquering a puppet of mine before I finished off his last unit. He asked for a lot, would settle for a white peace. I refuse him twice, the third he offered a sum, gpt and a luxury to make peace. He declared war on someone else the following turn...

It's somewhat broken.

I don't think it's that broken. The AI could have been paid to DOW you, or as part of "give me 10 turns..." deal(where peace cant be got for 10 turns). Also trade with you seems to be more important than constant war(especially when build/upgrade more units). If the AI wants peace then it usually wants it, in G&K it would "consider" peace at a high price.

I don't think it's that broken. The AI could have been paid to DOW you, or as part of "give me 10 turns..." deal(where peace cant be got for 10 turns).

Not in the example I gave. It was a "your weakness is my chance" backstabbing scenario.

The fact if you persevere and they end up wanting peace enough to settle for bargain bad for them is not what's broken (that's just a way to exploit the real bug).

What's broken is that they almost always "bluff" with high demands but don't stand their ground if you propose back a white peace, even when they're in a dominant position and you're the one that benefits from making peace to recuperate. No only that, but they will refuse a lower counter-proposal you make, but if you propose a white peace in which they get nothing they'll take it... It's a "I want all, I won't agree to half or any other bargain, but I will take nothing gladly" situation.

I've seen the AI act like that often, but it's not a universal bug as I've also seen the AI refuse to settle for less than they ask for until they really want peace and agree to a white peace, or even a disadvantageous bargain.

I noticed this problem about the white peace :
I play as Ashur on emperor and I go science. Darius DoW me, and he's the most powerful civ on the map, but I can defend myself. It turns out to be a really long no-winner warl. Every time he offers me peace he wants a city or all my stuff, I'm not losing so I decline. And it goes on for more than 100 turns, at the end we both have nukes...
Then he offers me peace again, for Nineveh again, and I just take it off and he agrees on a white peace... I was glad to end the conflict but I didn't get it.

And for the luxury deal with AI I noticed that you can't ask for more than 6gpt, they will always agree to buy one for 6gpt but never for more. I'd like to see a possibility to increase your prices after the deal is over : 1st time 6gpt, 2nd time 7gpt... even more if you have the exclusiveness of 1 luxury !

Sounds like a bug! You should report it to Firaxis by the method posted on the fall patch public beta post:

Civilization V: Brave New World Fall Patch Public Beta

1. To keep things moving at a brisk rate, if you spot a bug, please post a new thread to the 2K Civilization support forum (http://tinyurl.com/n93yx2z) with the subject starting with “[BETA]”, so something like this: “[BETA] – The new Great Work “The Kiss” image isn’t displaying”. This helps the engineers to quickly pinpoint beta specific bugs while browsing the forum. We will also be monitoring the “Civ5 – Bug Reports” forum at CivFanatics.
  2. Within the thread, please post a save of the turn before the problem reveals itself, along with a description of what you did, and any other supporting info you think would help, like a screenshot. This will allow our engineers to grab the save, and see what’s causing the problem quickly.

Top Bottom