Come on Firaxis, give us Canals and Safe Passage!

Xaviarlol

Warlord
Two very simple and highly desirable features:

1) Canals - A tile improvement that would fix the issue of having your ships completely trapped and having to go all across the globe to get around to it on some maps.
Make it a tile improvement that workers can build:
Maintenance - 3g per turn
Can only be built across a maximum of 2 tiles long with water on both ends.

2) Safe Passage - A feature that allows a unit to enter another player's territory temporarily to get passage to go somewhere. I am so sick of having to declare war on a person because I need to get units over somewhere fast and they won't do open borders with me. The mechanic can be that if you try to move a unit through another civ's territory it prompts you and tells you that you have 3 turns to pass through, and if you are still in their territory after 3 turns, your unit automatically leaves their territory (same way they do when open borders expires) and you get a diplomatic penalty.

plz Firaxis! :)

Canals yes, that would be cool. Safe passage - no. Armies shouldn't be allowed to pass unless an OB treaty is sign. Perhaps we could have two steps in this, one that allows civilians, but not combat units and one extended open border that allow all. Another thing I think would be cool is to allow you to use a city of ally as a base for your air.

Canals yes, that would be cool. Safe passage - no. Armies shouldn't be allowed to pass unless an OB treaty is sign. Perhaps we could have two steps in this, one that allows civilians, but not combat units and one extended open border that allow all. Another thing I think would be cool is to allow you to use a city of ally as a base for your air.

Yes, please allow us to airlift units to allied city states, and base aircraft in allied city states!

Agree with the canals, but think it should only extend 1 tile, not 2. 2 seems a bit too easy. Also you should need a modern tech to do this (think of the Panama and Suez and how difficult construction was).

Yes, please allow us to airlift units to allied city states, and base aircraft in allied city states!

Agreed - it sucks when you have air power and can't do a damn thing either cos you dont have carriers or the target is deep inland.

Agree with the canals, but think it should only extend 1 tile, not 2. 2 seems a bit too easy. Also you should need a modern tech to do this (think of the Panama and Suez and how difficult construction was).

And a one tile is probably also easier to add to the game so it looks good, graphically.

Yes, some sort of implementation of canals is long over due. I hate seeing a strung out continent and you have that 1 land tile somewhere that would mean many turns difference in movement if you could put a canal on it.

Canals yes, though 2-3 hexes long at most. Safe passage definitely no. Blocking parts of the map with your border is part of the strategy and 3 turns is a loooooooong time.

I would also like to have the ability to base your aircraft in allied cities as someone suggested, AND in the cities of your allied citystates. It would make sense from real life perspective and give little more perks to allying other civs.

I really don't see why people are suggesting such small maximum canal lengths. I don't see how long canals would be overpowered at all, especially given that they would cost 3gpt and assumedly take so long to construct. I honestly don't see why limitless canal would be overpowered at all as long as it costs a lot and takes a long time to build. I'd even support it having the same bonuses as rivers do. I think that would be an interesting balance, to sacrifice a lot of GPT and turns to add a canal to your city to give the river bonuses and allow ships to be built in it. Otherwise canals would be so situational they'd be a waste of time to implement.

This. So many times this. My last Portugal game Lisbon was founded on a small inland sea (no way to scout around in the beginning) and all my great admirals spawn in this tiny pathetic pool. There's an isthmus of about 3 or 4 tiles that are just a single tile across, a canal in any of them would make my capitol (and best production city) not entirely useless for naval..

I can go for any length of the canals, but a one tile is probably the easiest to add and can added in a "fall patch" for example. We have a lot of canals in Sweden so, not to connect seas and oceans feel a little bit odd.

Civ 4 had forts acting as ports for your ships, and could act as one tile canals. I'd certainly welcome that feature in Civ 5.

In vanilla Civ5 loading screen I saw a Panama Canal-like art, I think it was a Wonder that has been dropped out during development. (e.g. The Motherland Calls)

I totally agree with Canals, Airlift to City-States, not Safe Passage.

In another RTS game (what was the name, Rise of Nations?) scouts can just walk into neutral territories without war. I wouldn't even mind if Pocatello sticks 3 Pathfinders into my borders.

Canals, yes please!
Safe Passage, no. Although I'd be fine with a two-layers system that distinguishes between open borders for civ units and military units since that makes sense to me.
As for airlifting to allied CS, that'd be cool, but what happens if you CS becomes someone else's ally? Would your units be relocated to your nearest city/allied CS?

For one tile blocks you can always plop a city there for a "canal". Might not be worth the cost if the surrounding tiles are rubbish though but I've certainly done it before.

For one tile blocks you can always plop a city there for a "canal". Might not be worth the cost if the surrounding tiles are rubbish though but I've certainly done it before.

No, you can't always plop a city there for a "canal". A CS might be placed nearby to stop you, or an AI, or even you have placed a city, stopping you from creating a citycanal.

Top Bottom