Have any tips for a heavy Jungle tiled starting point?

Karagee

Chieftain
I wondered if anyone has any tips for a heavily jungled start. Here is a screen of it basically:

Thoughts?

I am really unsure on how to best utilize Jungle so I thought I would poll the community and see ;)

I wondered if anyone has any tips for a heavily jungled start. Here is a screen of it basically:

Thoughts?

I am really unsure on how to best utilize Jungle so I thought I would poll the community and see ;)

Get the culture pantheon for Jungle and Trade Post them when you research Guilds.

Get the culture pantheon for Jungle and Trade Post them when you research Guilds.

Ignore the religion aspect all together and build nothing but military units. Invade the most opportune target.

Only invest in religion if you spawn near a faith natural wonder. Otherwise you a better off building an army to invade your nearest neighbor or protect against an early DoW.

It is turn 83 and it does not look like you have been DOWed so I doubt you are playing on Deity... so you can relax and take your time to improve the jungle with trade posts or pantheon or both.

If it was DEITY or Immortal game then I would not even play this map but re-roll. If played, then get rid of the jungle ASAP to deny defence bonus to the enemy as they besiege Paris.
On Deity you WILL be DOWED most likely by china after she attacks the 2 city states south of Paris.

Also Darius would most likely DOW u too although he is little bit more friendly than the Chinese lady and on Immortal you can even make good friends with him.

my 2 humble cents :)

Ouch. 17 BPT on Turn 83.

Jungle starts are rough. Really, really rough. On Deity I usually reroll the map with jungle starts.

I was considering a re-roll because I haven't played a jungle start yet. I have chopped a few tiles and thought that I was falling behind because of the turns it takes to chop the jungle (despite the hammers I get for doing it), and so I held off. I don't like to re-roll as a rule, nothing inherently wrong with it except for a feeling I get inside that tells me hmm you aren't playing right. But in this case I might face that feeling down with logic. If in fact I have fallen behind (several people have mentioned some other things that I have missed) and have done so dangerously far than a new start is the most practical decision because I was not expecting this. But I will let it play out for a while and see if I can actually make it work for me.

yeah, stop building stonehenge and invade persia.

I am going to stop Stonehenge immediately. I had planned on Paris being my science city because of the proximity of the mountain.

Military I have nothing to speak of except a couple of fortified units. I am going to build up my military as well. I want to try and see how this game goes.

Get an extra worker or two than you normally would and chop down jungle on hill tiles. You need to keep hammers up and jungle locations generally have many of the hammer tiles covered. You can get science, gold, and culture (with pantheon) for jungle tiles but remember that you still need hammers, too, so you don't want to try to work too much jungle or you will suffer in the long-term.

I was considering a re-roll because I haven't played a jungle start yet. I have chopped a few tiles and thought that I was falling behind because of the turns it takes to chop the jungle (despite the hammers I get for doing it), and so I held off.

You get no hammers for chopping jungle. Chopping forest, yes, but not jungle. Chopping jungle will allow you to start capturing the hammer tile yield associated with the underlying plains or hill tile, but no lump sum hammers from the chopping itself.

I got a very similar start as Gandhi just yesterday. I made it work in the end (Sacred Path is your go-to Pantheon if you can get it; since it was a multiplayer co-op I also had the advantage of letting my ally - Germany - provide the army while I built Artemis and Hanging Gardens), but the first few turns were wince-inducing.

I would have had a few more cities settled by this point(probably one on the hill between the Mountain and the cows). If you're going for any wonder in that situation I would go for The Pyramids; not normally a big fan because of the risk involved in it, but in a start like this with all those Jungle luxuries it can be well worth it simply because of how time-consuming they are without the bonus from The Pyramids and/or Citzenship. I would actually leave some of the jungle for Universities later. You may need to remove a few to Farm the river tiles, though.

Ignore the religion aspect all together and build nothing but military units. Invade the most opportune target.

Only invest in religion if you spawn near a faith natural wonder. Otherwise you a better off building an army to invade your nearest neighbor or protect against an early DoW.

Investing in a pantheon is a lot different than a full-blown religion, though. Throw up a Shrine or two, meet a few religious CS for their faith, you're done.

I usually build stonehenge to ensure a religion. Religion is a nice boost I like to take the most advantage of. Sometimes you can get extra faith from other sources, and is not that relevant.

That's epic speed or a low dif setup? That start suck but is not that bad. Just adapt, when I get some jungle tiles I usually get 1-2 more workers. I usually want trading posts on them, But I usually chop everything one tile around the capital. On higher difs jungle starts are a hindernace, specially if most of the terrain is jungle.

I would personally be chopping down river jungle as I'd rather have the Civil Service bonus than the education one for these tiles. Only river bananas I would leave as is.

That's not an ugly start. River, mountain, and jungle mean that you'll be doing some good beakers per turn after Education and Astronomy. I suggest bee-lining astronomy after getting education.

I'd also recommend cancelling stonehenge and getting more cities, by conquest and/or with settlers.

I'd suggest putting farms on some of the river-side jungle tiles, especially those hills and plains, so that you can keep up with food and production.

While jungle doesn't give hammers for chopping it, you do have some riverside forest to chop and farm.

Top Bottom