Montezuma - against me?

jftsang

Chieftain
In EVERY GAME I'VE PLAYED Montezuma has featured, and every time he declares war on me. What's up with Montezuma?

The AI plays differently depending on who the leader is. Certain leaders like Monty, Napoleon, and Toku are super aggressive. Some leaders like Gandhi aren't. So you can expect certain behaviors from those leaders.

If you want to change it up, there is an option when starting a custom game to "Randomize AI". That means the AI scripts aren't the same for every leader every time you play. Maybe this time it's Monty that will never declare war and Gandhi that is a warmongorer. But maybe it's not different. It will be random, so you have to guess how the leaders will act.

Monty is a little psyco, he'll declare war on you even if you have reasonably good relations. Whenever Monty is near me I either sick him on an opponent, or liberate his cities from his vicious grasp.

hmm Monty's quite a character .. he often declares war even when he has no chance of winning .. poor guy; i remember recently he attacked with an enormous stack (~25) of jaguar warriors and a few (5-10) horse archers i had musketmen (~10) and knights (5-10) with a few grenadiers (think 2 or 3) .. it was a fun war after i repelled his initial attack

in my recent game, i played agianst Cyrus, Toku, Hannibal, Monty, Isabella and Peter. i took out Peter early. the first 4 leaders had really good relationships with one another. i then felt hopeless becuz theres no way i could change that. i tried to bribe Monty to attack someone, but either he demanded every one of my available techs or i didnt have enough to offer him. later, without having to bribe him, Monty declared war on Cyrus(top of the scoreboard) despite feeling Pleased towards Cyrus and Cyrus feeling Friendly toward him. soon after, Toku joined in the war and declared it on Cyrus. diplomatic relations dont mean much when you have these 2 guys in the game. i dont know about having neither one of them present though.

Monty is psycho and will attack anyone with a lower power rating than him. He is a *ton* of fun to have as a pet dog, and he can make for massive amounts of GG points if you build the great wall, let him invade, and kill his stacks inside your borders - but as a general rule, if he starts close by, kill him first.

He is one of the few leaders I've yet to fight. I always just put it on random leaders for the AI. I think I may have to have him, he sounds like a blast.

Monty is psycho and will attack anyone with a lower power rating than him. He is a *ton* of fun to have as a pet dog, and he can make for massive amounts of GG points if you build the great wall, let him invade, and kill his stacks inside your borders - but as a general rule, if he starts close by, kill him first.

close, but he'll actually attack anyone with a lower power rating than he thinks he has. you talk about monty as a pet dog, he reminds me of mine. mine weighs 20 pounds but is convinced that he could take on a 200 pound rottweiller in a fight :lol:. that's the monty attitude! but my dog doesn't wear a skull on his head. and please don't kill my dog if you see him near your borders.

Monty can be a great friend - 5 civs left (Our glorieous Viking Empire was in control of most of the world). However Monty* and Nappy both had defensive pacts with Catherine (not each other). Gengis was out of it with 1 small island city.

I was begining to think that glorious domination would turn to a boring space race. Then Monty DOW on Nappy, catherine DOW on Monty (due to her DP with Nappy), I join in and DOW on Catherine and Nappy. After the quick liberation of Three Russian and two French cities, three of which got great three Great Works - Domination - Thanks Monty :goodjob:.

* - Monty (who was my best friend for over 4000 years) had the military to almost match mine, he even teched pretty good :confused:, his great land I think.)

I've been playing out a finished game to get a feel for what's changed with combat, and just as I was about to start a war with three civs (two are vassals of the third), and not liking it because the one was my coal supply (coal is freakishly scarce in this game), Monty frees himself from his vassalage and promptly declares war on me.

This despite the fact that I have twice the military power of the next strongest civ, and Monty ain't it.

So I walk over him in a few turns (most of which were spent waiting for my battle fleet to sail from near the south pole to near the north), and get a couple Great Generals in the process.

Too bad he didn't have any coal, though.

He is definately fun, in a psychotic sort of way. =) I love and dread seeing him pop up in the early game.

Oh, and KMadCandy, your dog is safe from me - no worries.

You know the skull Monty wears on his head?

It was the last man to call him Montgomery.

Top Bottom