Civilization Players Are Sending The Entire World To War!

Fr8monkey

Deity
Didn't know where else to put this, so I put it in the game thread:

Get some popcorn ready, because the entire planet is about to throw down.

The Civilization fanatics at /r/Civ have hatched a wonderful plan: they're going to setup then run an enormous planetary showdown, which is going to take place on a huge real-world map that's big enough to accommodate 42 Civs.
Yes, rather than let actual players duke it out, the organizers have made the smart move to let Civilization itself sort everything out, meaning everyone can just sit back and watch the world burn.

Story here.

Original reddit thread

Hasn't every true CivFanatic done this multiple times themselves? I've done it a number of times, including with a Civ4 mod in December and a CKII-mod-converted-into-EU4 in January, and have had some interesting results. Sure, maybe not with 42 civs in Civ, but observing the AI is an old pasttime.

What they've done that's different is making a presentation and show of it. Which is actually a good idea if you're confident that it will produce an interesting result.

Some of the modders in Civ4 regularly ran AIAutoplay, just to benchmark their mods, so yeah, :dunno: not sure what the big deal is.

The big deal is it's happening on reddit. Which means it's cool and trendy.

kotaku is required to post something like every 5 minutes. Coupled with them already being some of the worst writers on the internet it means they literally scrape the bottom of the barrel for anything they can find.

Reddit is cool and trendy? I thought CivFanatics was where the cool and trendy people were! Have I been misled?

I am mildly curious how it turns out in Civ5, since I haven't tried it in Civ5, but as a forum format I prefer CFC. I pretty much only go to Reddit to read the rare AMA. Looks like they're off to a slow start so far.

Getting your news and mildly interesting random articles from Reddit so you don't have to find them on your own is cool and trendy amongst blogs, actual news sites, and so on. Several sites get 99% of their content from Reddit, which they strip out or change slightly to make it look like they made it themselves and slap their own watermark all over it.

How is Poland still alive ?

the Poles stuck it out, spurred on by a rabid (though bemused) online fanbase they couldn’t hear which chanted in unison some variation on “STRONK POLAND IS STRONK.” As I write this now, at 16 parts, 363 turns, and 4,130 years deep into the epic, still-unravelling storyline, Poland stands among the contenders for victory, with four (soon to be five) capital cities conquered and a red army that dominates Eastern Europe.

“It’s frighteningly similar to watching sports,” TPangolin continues. “We know all the rules and how to play, so now for entertainment we watch multiple third parties battle it out. Perhaps we love these even more because we know that instead of athletes we’re watching historical world leaders battle it out in a fight to death on a global scale.”

The CivFanatics style of AI-only game doesn’t differ as greatly from the in-vogue captioned screenshots method as it seems. Most matches in the tournaments are worked into narrative descriptions quite similar to those written by thenyanmaster and co, with the one exception that the narrator and most readers already know the outcome – making it mere flavour text for the main attraction of predicting long-term, whole-game AI behaviour.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/20/civilization-streams-are-making-ai-fight/#more-271927

Top Bottom