Graphics Crash

corranhorn01

Chieftain
Hi Guys.

Hoping someone could help. I've tried all that I can think of and nothing's worked so far.

After playing for x time, my screen basically becomes Green and Pink horizontal lines and I have to restart. When I restart, I get a nice little message from Microsoft saying my graphics card crashed, stopped working, etc.

The steps I have taken:
Reinstalled drivers
Rolled back drivers
Verified games cache
Played with the side of my tower off (checking for overheating)

I really enjoy playing the game and I've lost numerous good game (as in haven't hit save before crashing) from this and it's starting to stop me wanting to play the game.

The graphics card I use is AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series with Windows 7 OS (64bit). This is the only game this happens to.

Civ5 is pretty intensive and this card may be taxed toward it's limits. Other than the drivers, keeping the computer as cool as possible is about all you can do.

Civ5 is pretty intensive and this card may be taxed toward it's limits. Other than the drivers, keeping the computer as cool as possible is about all you can do.

My only current thought is maybe the card isn't good enough for the game.

It this happened when I was playing with no sides, I'm not sure what else I can do to keep it cool lol. Thanks for the reply :)

How hot is the room though? A case is designed to move air through. If the air is hot and not moving, then the heat will not dissipate very efficiently. I have a room fan that blows and moves cooler air all year long around my laptop to keep it cool. The GPU in my laptop is about the same rating as your GPU, and it does the weird graphic lines without the proper cooling. It is noticeable when in game, because the internal fan is going at the fastest speed possible, because of the heat generated. According to the video benchmark score your card is rated at 925 G3D mark. You could price out a new card that you can afford and see if it has a higher score. The newer card would not have to generate as much heat as your current card, unless of course you wanted to max it out as well. An HD 7770 may still be available around $100.00. I would not say that your card is not good enough. It just may not be good enough for the way you enjoy the game.

How hot is the room though? A case is designed to move air through. If the air is hot and not moving, then the heat will not dissipate very efficiently. I have a room fan that blows and moves cooler air all year long around my laptop to keep it cool. The GPU in my laptop is about the same rating as your GPU, and it does the weird graphic lines without the proper cooling. It is noticeable when in game, because the internal fan is going at the fastest speed possible, because of the heat generated. According to the video benchmark score your card is rated at 925 G3D mark. You could price out a new card that you can afford and see if it has a higher score. The newer card would not have to generate as much heat as your current card, unless of course you wanted to max it out as well. An HD 7770 may still be available around $100.00. I would not say that your card is not good enough. It just may not be good enough for the way you enjoy the game.

I would say the room is middling. All fans are running full pelt (there's 4-5).

That could be it then. I honestly didn't think of that. I'll leave the window open next time and see. I've tried it with the graphics fairly low. I'll try turning them down to minimum and see how that goes. Cheers man

I tried it last night with everything on minimum and a window open. I managed to get about 3 hours in before the crash this time. That's better than ~1. I think that kinda says what the issue is, don't you? Thanks for all the help :)

Top Bottom