Brave New World start bias?

JohnnyJay

Chieftain
When playing brave new world as Morocco, I noticed I was not starting on desert despite reading on the internet that Morocco have a desert start bias. After restarting several times (only one of which did I roll a desert start), I decided to test other civ's (namely Arabia) to see if the start bias in my game was broken, or if Morocco just doesn't possess a start bias at all. I was surprised to see that I started with tundra not once, but twice. Which leads me to my question; Is my game bugged, or has brave new world removed start bias somehow??

and yes, I do have 'disable start bias' unchecked.

I've played Morocco twice and started in the desert both times. Sounds like you are just unlucky. That is pretty weird though.

Apparently they have tweaked start biases. Korea now spawns on coast.

Austria has a Hill bias, Korea has a coast bias, yes, they added several new biases.

The rule is simply, everytime a map script is generated (I'm not sure how exactly game decides to spawn stuff on pre-made maps) it will look for the best possible location taking into account their biases and "Start-along the ocean" flags. If it finds a suitable place, it shoves the civ there. however, there are times when there is simply no suitable spots to take, which then makes the game ignore the biases because it would probably start TOO close to another civ or city-state. It is just a chance, most of the time you would have an appropriate bias location, sometimes, it just happens not to happen.

Venice, however is a slight exception, it has a unique bias in that it gets the first pick for a start-along the ocean bias, meaning it is guaranteed to start next to an ocean (because of the fact it can't expand naturally).

I've played with Morocco a few times, and the start does vary quite a bit. Sometimes a very good desert start, other times, as you say a mix of tundra or plains, although I have always had at least some desert within a few hexes. I have seen the AI start in a similar range. That's probability for you. Most of the times I have not had desert I have been playing against Arabia, who also have the desert bias, which might go some way to explain it. But equally, I can remember playing any number of Arabia games in the past with a tundra start...

I always play with Morocco in my games and he seems to start in the tundra more often than deserts. Last game I played he was only able to make one kasbah the entire game.

When I wanted to play as Morocco I had to cook the settings (Dry Inland Sea) to get a bloody desert start. Rerolled five times before giving up on it.

Top Bottom