Is CIV really just an upgraded game of MULE? Irrata World Map

King Phaedron

Warlord
M.U.L.E (Multi Utility Labor Element) was a very old and quirky game where the object was to achieve prosperity colonizing a new planet. You selected plots of land, and chose between farming, mining, and producing energy. You traded goods in auction with other AI players (Mechtrons) and the winner was whoever had the most wealth after a certain number of turns. If you add in other victory conditions and possibilities such as war, it would become like CIV.

This MULE map is currently under construction. It is very uniform and balanced. I thought it more effective to turn the map sideways so that the ocean would wrap around instead of the land. IRRATA is mostly a desert world where water is very precious. Usually MULE begins with each of the four players picking a plot right next to the river, and the Store is at the center of the map. So all of the CIVs will start in the grass and plains, but they won't tend to have captials on the coast. In the center will be all the city states. CIVs that start far away from the city states will run into more Tribes and natural wonders.

This won't be ready for a while. I've only just placed terrain. As I introduce chaos, Grass and Plains will change and the long Ocean will begin to wind up and down so that it looks more like a giant river. There may be small islands and inlets around the coast, but I will probably leave the ocean empty. This is a huge map that houses 12-14 Civs, with a low number of wonders. All Desert, Volcano, and Tundra wonders will be present. Water, grass, and plains won't be present.

Advanced Start: All Desert Civs, Cavalry and land based Civs, no water and navy types. No Civs will lousy music. This is the opposite of the other map I recently made, and after playing a game on it, am making a few more adjustments to perfect it. Lots of mountains for science and religious Civs.

There are 28 tiles from each side to the top and bottom, 4 of which are Tundra, 2 are snow, and 13 is desert, but one tile line where it begins is subject to change. The rest is some mix of grass and plains. Life is Chaos: It is thanks to Assymetry, and slightly more matter then antimatter, that we exist at all.

Irrata0.jpg

M.U.L.E (Multi Utility Labor Element) was a very old and quirky game where the object was to achieve prosperity colonizing a new planet. You selected plots of land, and chose between farming, mining, and producing energy. You traded goods in auction with other AI players (Mechtrons) and the winner was whoever had the most wealth after a certain number of turns. If you add in other victory conditions and possibilities such as war, it would become like CIV.

This MULE map is currently under construction. It is very uniform and balanced. I thought it more effective to turn the map sideways so that the ocean would wrap around instead of the land. IRRATA is mostly a desert world where water is very precious. Usually MULE begins with each of the four players picking a plot right next to the river, and the Store is at the center of the map. So all of the CIVs will start in the grass and plains, but they won't tend to have captials on the coast. In the center will be all the city states. CIVs that start far away from the city states will run into more Tribes and natural wonders. Needless to say, there won't be much of a Navy game on this map.

This won't be available for a while. I've only just placed terrain. As I introduce chaos, Grass and Plains will change and the long Ocean will begin to wind up and down so that it looks more like a giant river. There may be small islands and inlets around the coast, but I will probably leave the ocean empty. This is a huge map that houses 12-14 Civs, with a low number of natural wonders. All of the Desert, Volcano, and Tundra wonders will be present. Water, grass, and plains wonders will not be present.

Advanced Start: All Desert Civs, Cavalry and land based Civs, no water and navy types. No Civs will lousy music. This is the opposite of the other map I recently made, and after playing a full game on it, am in the process of making a few more adjustments to perfect it. There will be lots of mountains for science and religious Civs.

There are 28 tiles from each side to the top and bottom, 4 of which are Tundra, 2 are snow, and 13 is desert, but one tile line where it begins is subject to change. The rest is some mix of grass and plains. Life is Chaos: It is thanks to Assymetry, and slightly more matter then antimatter, that we exist at all.

View attachment 677592
I've not heard of MULE, but I'd always thought CIV was a massive advancement on, "Utopia," for the Intellivision.

I mean if we're playing reduce-the-game-to-it's-earliest-genre-appearance I'd say MULE and Civ are all just upgraded versions of the text game Hammurabi.

Last edited:
Top Bottom