How do I stop losing money!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
also having similar problems but its manageable in my current save. that being said im playing as arabia which you get the bazaar which is very useful, as you can just sell the excess luxery resources which has been my main source of income. i no longer use money to purchase though, im generally always in red i just keep enough there to deduct from. production to wealth seems useless at most gives 2 a turn for me.

about the unit maintenance im currently at 1900 quite well teched up 8 citys my unit costs are 112 i deleted a trireme that id had for ages and it gave me 12 gold per turn, basically i dont understand how the cost of units work at all as i tried deleting a crossbowman that i was gifted and no change in gold per turn :confused:

Unit upkeep is only updated when you delete 2 units. Weird but that's the reason your crossbowman by himself wasn't enough to show a difference.

they should patch the buildings to make them worth building. that or make the trade routes, taxes, and bonuses from markets ect more. im playing on warlord difficulty and im still only making 15 or so gpt and im on turn 800...thats just too little to even upgrade my 6 units everytime they become obsolete.

im playing on warlord difficulty and im still only making 15 or so gpt and im on turn 800...

If you're having those sorts of problems on Warlord (where you're getting massive bonuses), then the problem isn't the game. It's you.

No, I'm not trying to be cruel here, but you've apparently fallen into the same trap that many people have in their first game or two. If you're that short on money, one or more of the following has happened:
1> You haven't connected all of your cities to your capital with roads/harbors, and so are missing out on huge amounts of trade income.
2> You have too many units. Note that Workers cost just as much support as a top-end military unit, so while you might only have a standing army of six units, if you have twenty workers then it'll bankrupt you just as easily as if you'd had twenty combat units and six workers.
I did this in my first game. I never even realized how much they were costing me until I started disbanding the ones I didn't need. Once your empire is built, you really only need a handful of workers around since, unlike earlier Civ games, cities only grow one hex at a time. I've got a 12-city empire in my current game with only 4 workers.
3> You build every building in every city. Things like the Barracks, Armory, Stables, Forge, Harbor, Workshop, etc. will bankrupt you if you create too many of them. The same goes for +Happy and +Culture buildings; while the Colosseum might be a no-brainer, the more expensive ones (like the Theater) should only be built if you start to go unhappy.
Buildings ARE worth making. Just not every building in every city. This was a deliberate design decision by the developers, so it's not going to change.
4> You don't have enough cities for your Happiness. If you ever have +10 or higher happiness, you should start looking at creating a new city somewhere useful, unless you're going for a cultural win. Once a city reaches a decent size it'll pay for itself, especially if it's near something that generates money (a natural wonder, lakes, coastline, gold, etc.).
5> You've got all of your cities set to "Emphasize Production" or something similar. The AI takes that sort of order VERY seriously. Shift even one city to "Emphasize Gold" and you'll see a huge jump.

Again, if you're seeing that sort of financial crunch on lower difficulties, then you're going to have a horrible time on higher difficulties. So learn these skills now...

Yes, I'm obviously talking about the production bonus, that is in fact insane in a game in which production is so scarce compared to the previous one ( and which late wonders just seen very very nice).

On the Railroad issue, the 50% production bonus exists automatically in cities directly connected to your Capital by a Harbor, without ever building a railroad. If you have a coastal empire, it may only take a short railroad to give most of your cities the bonus. The bonus is great, but be careful not to over do it.

Luxuries are key. They usually provide 2 gold and 4 happiness when worked. Also, make sure you build markets, banks, mints, stock exchange markets, and a national treasury. Also try explore the commerce and tradition policy trees. Commerce for gold and tradition for happiness and population. Don't forget to make trade routes with your cities. Great merchants also help, but aren't necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom