"Do Not Settle Cities Near Me"

i'm currently playing a game where i'm in the modern era (everyone else is industrial on the cusp of modern) and montezuma is just spamming settlers and putting cities in random areas that aren't beneficial at all. he's the only one doing this and his happiness is by far the lowest so i wonder what sort of algorithm would cause this. the same as the above maybe?

As far as i understand from the code, aggressive expander penalty is triggered when you have more than 1.5 times the average number of cities (your own cities is not included in the average calculation), and you have 4 or more cities. It also only applies to civs which are your neighbours and have more military than you.

as for monty's expansion its prolly handled by a separate part of the AI. Its something to do with flavour/strategy/excess happiness which triggers him to build settlers, and then settles them in the best available location. of course by the modern age all the good spots are taken so he has to settle them on snow/one tile islands...

Just out of curiosity, how much did you wander your starting settlers in those two games?

One Tile to the south in my game as the Actecs and Pedro was far far far in the east. The funny thing is, he had an extra luxury near him, also a natural wonder... but no, he ignored that and settled my Cocoa... maybe because he wanted that damn jungle? ^^

In the second game again i moved the settler one tile from my initial location - that's what i often do, but i don't like to move to far and delay everything, except the land is really sh*t.

I really should have made Screenshots, but i'm sure that wasn't the last time... playing this weekend maybe i can get it a third time in a row.

:lol:

Top Bottom