Tanks R.I.P.?

skallben

Diplomat
With the new Anit-Tank unit available cheap from Artillery tanks are seriously challenged. Starting with +100% against armored and ambush promotion, they simply crush tanks. Cheap to build and then toss in some defense bonus, fortify, terrain defense, city defense effectively means that even with some air/artillery support you are going to take damage.

For this reason I personally do rush to Robotics for Mech. Inf and try to pick up the Internet on the way to Robotics.

With the new Anit-Tank unit available cheap from Artillery tanks are seriously challenged. Starting with +100% against armored and ambush promotion, they simply crush tanks. Cheap to build and then toss in some defense bonus, fortify, terrain defense, city defense effectively means that even with some air/artillery support you are going to take damage.

For this reason I personally do rush to Robotics for Mech. Inf and try to pick up the Internet on the way to Robotics.

In modern warfare, a Tank without Infantry or Helicopter support is Dead Meat.

this is a good thing. we might even see some waves of attack (such as one is heavily weighted towards infantry, and one is heavily weighted towards armor)

If you can't find a good use for a couple tanks, you're not trying hard enough.

Keep in mind that if you force them to spam AT, they're much more vulnerable to your Infantry/Cavalry than otherwise.

Who needs Tanks when you have Paratroopers?

Tank rushing is boring anyway...as is any army made up of a single unit. Now warfare is a bit more complex in the later game.

Before it was gunships, now its these guys. Not much has changed except going you beat up the oil-less civs as easily.

Agreed, a counterunit for tanks was needed - I just think it is a bit too strong.

No, I do not tank-spam/rush, I never said that. Im using very mixed forces at any time possible.

Arent gunships already reason enough not to tank spam?

I learnt the hard way in Warlords many months back when a 3x20 stack tank army I sent against Shaka was eaten alive by gunships.

Tanks are great for one reason CR promotions, Nothing is a effective as a cr3 modern armor fresh off the production line.

In another thread talking about UU's, I suggested that the anti-tank unit get pushed back to rocketry. I am still trying to see how that would work properly, but it would give a small window for a "tank rush". Then if you have a tech lead it could be a really big window, so it's possible that it being placed with artillery is almost balanced.

I like the AT-unit, but yeah, it's too powerful. I don't think it needs Ambush AND +100%; ditch the Ambush.

Personally I love the new additions. In a lot of ways it seems as if Firaxis was watching my play style and then found ways to destroy it. Which makes me happy as now I have to find new strategies.

In the previous iterations of civ all I had to do by the late game was build ass loads of bombers, plant them in one city send in an army full of Mech and Modern Armor and the war was as sure as won...boring!

In summation my two favorite military additions to BTS:

Anti-Tank: forces me to build mixed forces and strategize my campaign

Limiting the number of bombers per city: greatly reducing the power of the previously unbalanced bomber.

Arent gunships already reason enough not to tank spam?
I LOVE gunships - but sadly all of my opponents LOVE Sam Infantry. I'm sure now they're gonna LOVE the new Mobile SAM.

Tanks were too powerful when beelined. Same with cavalry.

BtS has been GREAT for making warfare more complex. Same with the new ship that counters frigates.

I love it: Mixed-stacks are a MUST now, as is more strategical warfare!

Thats why you keep your rivals down, get ahead in the tech race and just unleash the beast while they only have riflemen.

CAN somebody tell me how the police state civic changes in bts plz?

i think it just adds more espionage points

is the AI building anti tank guns (Im still in the renaissance era in my first full fledged game)? follow up: do you have to build them against the AI?

Top Bottom