Anno Domini Rise of Cities edition

Anno Domini: Rise of Cities edition (latest version dated November 9th 2016) 27

EDIT: I reinstalled the whole game and downloaded the mod once again, and it seemed to fix my problem.
Yeah, right.
Unfortunately, the problem re-appeared; I can't build Chief's hut. I have tried the following:
- Cleaning the cache
- Reinstalling the whole game.
- Reinstalling the mod.
- Validating my files.
But to no use.
Also, I have no other mods installed.:confused:
So, if anybody have any smart ideas, I would be happy to learn.

One thing that "bothers" me is why does barley only spawn in jungle?

Because they're actually bananas with a different name and maybe Rob hasn't changed the spawn conditions. But I believe I saw Barley on non-Jungle terrain as well in past games (not in my current game though). Or maybe that was just the AI who had already cleared the jungle.

But while we're at it with the resources, hadn't you been planning to make Pigs a bonus resource? As it is, they're rare as ever. Not a problem though because IGE is my friend and I'm replacing all the invisible hidden luxuries (marble, barrels of ale and rice - but far far less than there were in previous versions) with pigs or barley anyway, so everybody has more of them. (By the way, I like how Stone is always just one unit and you have to build the Stone Works to get more. Just one example why I like the balancing in the new version so much. One other is that Faith doesn't seem quite as abundant as in earlier versions. There's still a lot but so far I can only afford a Missionary every 4 turns instead of every turn like in previous games at around turn 500-600 on Marathon.)

Speaking of Faith, the secondary Median UA where Faith in the capital is added to your Science does make a difference as soon as you can enact the House of Worship. I currently produce around 70 science each turn, to which the 40 faith from the capital is added. So around 50% bonus for tall empires (I only have 4 cities, trying to stay peaceful as much as possible this game and get the science victory). And for some reason Elam is my main rival and at least as advanced as I am, and they have NOTHING that helps them toward science. No UA, no UB, nothing, and still they're super scientific. Which is fine but surprising. (Also, Nabataea is strong as ever, and Parisi, who have been in EVERY game so far, are as mediocre and peace-loving as always.)

Edit: Also, I noticed that the Limited Visibility promotion still gets carried over from Curraghs to Galleys. Not a big deal but still something that might be worth changing.

How bizarre? Who are you playing as? I'm presuming you're building it in your capital - as it's only allowed in there.
I tried Aksum, Carthage, Carvetti and Mycenae.
And yes, I know it should be built in the capital. I usually will research Basic Tools first, and then I finish that I will not have any other cities. But it doesn't appear on the list over possible things to build. I agree that it is bizarre, all the more since I never had this problem in earlier versions of the mod.

I've worked out what's happening with the Chief's hut - schoolboy error it seems. When I copied and pasted another building to amend the details to the Chief's hut, I didn't notice that the "water" tags were on. I've fixed it now in my version - for you guys it's a case of finding the buildings.xml file (in the XML/Buildings folder) searching for the Chief's hut and deleting the line that says <Water>true</Water>. I hadn't noticed before because I'd only played with capitals on the coast until now.

Yep...the barley is basically bananas redone. I'll check into making them a little more abundant, but the idea was to make it so that barrels of ale was quite a rarity. Elam might not have anything assisting the science, but with the culture bonuses upon founding cities and the lack of plagues, perhaps this has assisted? Perhaps they built the Tower of Babel which doubles the science rate of storytellers?

Rob- just a question do you think you will be able to fix the dye work boats bug?

Well done with the map; uploading it here is fine. I've actually integrated it into Anno Domini as the "European Map Alt." (as FramedArchitect already had the European Map). You have a mention now on the acknowledgement page of the website ;). Speaking of maps, a Greek one with the different Greek factions in the mod would be nice, but let's wait until MoreCivs have released their Greek split (expected July).

As MoreCivs are releasing their split in July, I'll update this for Steam consumption by August 1st. It gives me some time to try and get some more unit graphic variants into the mod and some of those other civilizations.

I'm not sure if I can get around the issue with dyes in water; I may need to use the old oil graphics (just for the water-based ones) to get them to work properly - but would that be a bad thing? They'd be labelled dyes.

I have updated the map, changed Athens to Sparta (Alexander was kicking their butts), also moved the Huns more south and added more resources for balance.

I've updated the file but I'm sure I will catch more things to correct.

Btw is it just me, or the Illyrians are pretty nasty? In my game they skipped Rome's and Etrusca's cities and went straight for the latter's capital. They are so mean :)

I have updated the map, changed Athens to Sparta (Alexander was kicking their butts), also moved the Huns more south and added more resources for balance.

I've updated the file but I'm sure I will catch more things to correct.

Btw is it just me, or the Illyrians are pretty nasty? In my game they skipped Rome's and Etrusca's cities and went straight for the latter's capital. They are so mean :)
Sounds good. Teuta is a woman scorned in Anno Domini at least, it would seem. I take it Rome's capital is on the coast?

In other news, I've put the Nri in this afternoon and gave them a run out. Nice to get a civ that can do something else with faith!

This is what she did
Spoiler :

She crossed the sea, ignoring all the other Etruscan cities and went straight for their capital. After the capture they ceased fire :D

Found a bug: City state Hobah's banner says Masis instead of Hobah. It was also glitching in world builder (name of city wasn't visible).

EDIT 1: Two bugged names: Baelge city TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CASTELLUM_MENAPIRUM and a spearman named TXT_KEY_UNIT_GOLIATH
EDIT 2: Mt Vesuvius graphics appear as only a smoking flame.

Hmm I think this may be also a bug
Spoiler :

(Screen above) My worker can't build a forest on top of deer camp, or in the wheat farm near it.
(Screen below) I can replace forest with another forest and gain 2 production but lose 1 food..

I can still plant forests in empty plots and gain the normal +1 production. Is this right to you?

... (Alexander was kicking their butts) ...

Weird how different games can be. In my current game, Alexander is the bottom feeder, sitting there at turn 550 with only one city and 1/3 the average score. And Teuta is always rather nice in my games, no nasty business at all. Not particularly strong or dominant either.

Also, what exactly is the point of being able to move your capital? Sure, if you have a REALLY crappy starting location that might be a reasonable move but the only effect I see in my game is that the AI screws up even more by constantly switching their capital back and forth, which takes up huge portions of their production and makes them fall behind those civs that don't do it. In my opinion it wouldn't be a loss at all to take it out again.

And lastly, it feels that the Plague has become far less dramatic compared to v11 (and earlier). I had an outbreak in my capital and it only spread to one other city, but more importantly nobody died at all. And while in my v11 (and earlier) game, the map was littered with the ruins of small cities that had fallen victim to the plagues, I haven't noticed a single AI city that has been eradicated by the plague (and yes, I do have the appropriate option on). This isn't a complaint at all, just wanted to know if it's just me or intentional. Though IF you want to change anything about it, a middle ground between the hardcore plagues from earlier and the wussie plagues from now would be perfect. (BUT I like the new plague names. And it feels more finished now as well, more consistent, contributing to the whole feeling of completeness the mod has now.)

Turn 550 and only 1 city?? Something went terribly wrong for Alexander :lol:. But yeah Teuta seems to be the most aggressive in every game I played so far. She devours rival cities and loving it, while everyone else denounces her.

Sounds good. Teuta is a woman scorned in Anno Domini at least, it would seem. I take it Rome's capital is on the coast?

In other news, I've put the Nri in this afternoon and gave them a run out. Nice to get a civ that can do something else with faith!

What era do the Nri get to attack civs who don't follow their religion now?

The Anno Domini era is equivalent to the Industrial era, so if Rob didn't change that, you'll not be able to declare war on civs with your religion until quite late in the game. I'd opt for Anno Imperii as the relevant on because in Vanilla, the Industrial era marks the secularization of the world, which has quite a number of consequences, but there is no secularization in this setting.

And I've got another suggestion to make: I've never picked the Aesthetics tree because it feels like a starter tree but only becomes available when the empires are already somewhat consolidated (tl;dr: I think it's too weak). And since I am currently building the Theater of Dionysos, I was thinking of that one thing that crops up in every literature class ever, the Aristotelian Drama. An implementation would be pretty straightforward: +1 Happiness for every Amphitheater. This could be done via another wonder OR through a social policy: How about putting the effects of Legalism and Cultural Centers into one of them and renaming the other into Aristotelian Theater with the aforementioned effect?

Edit: And another (purely cosmetic) suggestion because I just built my first Trireme. The Galley is bigger and looks way cooler/stronger than the Trireme, and yet the Trireme is the upgrade unit. Would it be a lot of effort to swap the models for the two?

Edit 2: Aaaand I found a bug. Philosophy enables the Philosopher's Guild, but that building requires an Academy to be present in the city, and the Academy only becomes available MUCH later with Education. But then again, there isn't a single building to contain great works of music anyway (I checked the civilopedia, not even the Ceilidh Hall has slots), sooo this last part is probably intentional? That Philosophers can only be used to export tourism and not to create great works?

Thanks for all the responses and I will take a look at the points you've all mentioned when I get home from work this afternoon.

In terms of the reforestation and move palace, they're both modcomps by FramedArchitect that I thought would be nice additions to the game. I considered the move palace option might be useful if your current palace were always under siege or if it became apparent that bonuses attached to the capital would be more fruitful in another city.

The Nri don't have wars with civs that accept their religion until the Anno Domini period - which I'm keeping. It's a peace-loving option!

I considered the move palace option might be useful if your current palace were always under siege or if it became apparent that bonuses attached to the capital would be more fruitful in another city.

But doesn't the Palace move automatically when you lose your capital? And until then, you'll likely need the defense bonus if your city is under siege. Also, it's pretty expensive to move it, so if your capital is already under (serious) siege when you start moving it, it'll be too late anyway. The only thing I can really think of that makes it necessary to move it that way is to prevent a domination victory, but in order for that to be the case, you'd have to be one hell of a dominant AI enemy (or be sloppy in your defense and get sneak attacked by your long-term ally while you've been busy conquering all other civs). Uhm anyway. I'm not saying I hate it, just that I feel it's not really necessary if the price is that the AI constantly paralyzes one of their cities by pointlessly moving the palace around. But maybe that's not the case in other people's games.

But doesn't the Palace move automatically when you lose your capital? And until then, you'll likely need the defense bonus if your city is under siege. Also, it's pretty expensive to move it, so if your capital is already under (serious) siege when you start moving it, it'll be too late anyway. The only thing I can really think of that makes it necessary to move it that way is to prevent a domination victory, but in order for that to be the case, you'd have to be one hell of a dominant AI enemy (or be sloppy in your defense and get sneak attacked by your long-term ally while you've been busy conquering all other civs). Uhm anyway. I'm not saying I hate it, just that I feel it's not really necessary if the price is that the AI constantly paralyzes one of their cities by pointlessly moving the palace around. But maybe that's not the case in other people's games.

Moving it doesn't effect domination victories which are always calculated from original capitals. It can be useful if you find a really nice second or third city, so its nice to have the option there, but I don't really see it as something you would do in every game. If the AI is the problem, the mod could always not let the AI move it (leave it a human option). I really don't think it would give human players any significant advantage to block the AI from it.

Top Bottom