Reformation Belief: Underground Sects broken

Moshne

Chieftain
I've tried this in two different games now, using both Spy and Diplomat settings and I'm not noticing any pressure being generated by my Spy units? Has anyone seen any benefit? Is the belief just broken?

I guess that's because the city the spy is in already has a majority religion. You need more than one source of pressure to convert those.

You can be sure of the pressure if the city has at least one citizen point following your religion. If that's the case, and there's no extra pressure, then there's a bug. Saves reproducing it might be helpful.

Necroing this a bit. Can confirm that there is no increase in religious pressure with Underground Sects.

Tested with all kinds of scenarios. City without majority religion, city without religion at all, city with already some of my religion in it, city out of reach of any passive religious pressure. Tested with Spy, tested with Diplomat.

Does. Not. Work.

Just tried this myself. It doesn't seem to have any effect at all.

afaik it doesnt give pressure, but citizien were converted last time i used it.

why do i say this? because i had once in a big city 17 inhabitants and not one follower of my religion. only after some turns i got suddelny out of nowhere followeres without any pressure. maybe other ppl can test this too?

resurrecting this thread :) so doest it work or not?
At the risk of being a bit of a troll, I'll say: Who cares? Are there any circumstances where anyone could ever imagine picking this belief? It seems so thoroughly useless - even if it worked - that I think I'd always pick something - anything - else, and in the remote possibility that it would be the only reformation belief left, I'd rather throw the culture into another - any other - policy than wasting it on this. But that's just my 5 cents. :scan:

At the risk of being a bit of a troll, I'll say: Who cares? Are there any circumstances where anyone could ever imagine picking this belief? It seems so thoroughly useless - even if it worked - that I think I'd always pick something - anything - else, and in the remote possibility that it would be the only reformation belief left, I'd rather throw the culture into another - any other - policy than wasting it on this. But that's just my 5 cents. :scan:

well if it provided say 30 pressure i'd consider to pick it
to convert city states (rigging elections at the same time)

I think its a cool concept tbh. I think the one thing that really made BNW shine is that every system of gameplay interacts with everything else, i.e. trade routes (a BNW concept) interact with diplomacy, science, religion etc). Espionage is still one area of the game that is underdeveloped and this would be an interesting mechanism to employ, particularly for a more espionage focused civ like England.

I don't know what the intended amount of religious pressure is supposed to be but if it had an additional affect of being able to decrease the pressure of other religions like Evangelism does I think that would be even more interesting.

This belief works just fine, it is just a very bizarrely set up belief

1. Undergruond Sects only works with another source of pressure being sent to the target city
2. Underground Sect exerts basic pressue (+9 on quick I believe)
3. Underground Sect will not tell you that that the pressure from the spy exist in order to prevent from the target city's owner knowing someone has planted a spy in their city.
4. Im not sure 100% but I also believe Underground Sect only works for the Founder of the Religion.

Most reformation beliefs have left unused. Most people use tradition, its hard to tell if underground sects work. Even the heathen conversion reformation belief is a mystery to me.

Most reformation beliefs have left unused. Most people use tradition, its hard to tell if underground sects work. Even the heathen conversion reformation belief is a mystery to me.

It does work I tested

Heathen Conversion works by having a Missionary walk into a tile next to a Barbarian I presume.

It does work I tested

Heathen Conversion works by having a Missionary walk into a tile next to a Barbarian I presume.

I had almost tested it out in multiplayer but then the game crashed. You know how games usually crash in multiplayer.

I could never justify a reason to use Heathen Conversion. I tend to play on the higher difficulties so by the time I could get a reformation most of the map is settled and barbarians for the most part disappear.

Maybe a pangeae map with low sea level and raging barbs would work

On Undeground Sects, I have tried it once but the effect was barely noticeable (I think the +9 pressure sounds right) so I reloaded my game and chose another belief.
It's a good idea but like many other things in Civ 5 it needs the devs to look at it again and tweak the numbers to actually make it a viable choice.

I have heard of crazy strategies revolving around Heathen Conversion. I have not tried it myself, but it involves having missionaries in your city, and letting your empire enter rebellion. Once rebel barbarian units spawn, when these units go to 'siege' your cities, they get converted... And you get an army.

Top Bottom