JCivED - a toolbox for Civilization

Fantastic tool! I'm veeery new to map editing in Civ (and have also stumbled upon TerraForm, which I'd like to give a go).

Seemingly, though I can't open a savegame with JcivED - it just sticks at the loading screen forever, even after I close the main program window.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Ram and Java are ok so not sure whats going on there...

Did you discover Future Tech in your savegame ? It is a known bug of JCivED to fail when opening savegames with Future Tech discovered, and I didn't release the fix yet.

If it is not the case, you can share your savegame files in this thread and I will have a look. You can also check if you see Java errors in the console that launches with JCivED, and share them here for troubleshooting.

Ahhh. Yep, that'll be it!

Thanks darkpanda - I'll have another go later on =]

EDIT: Working fine now, thanks! Going to have lots of fun setting up some interesting scenarios!

Incidentally, was hut/resource manipulation ever included? I tinkered with CivMap but everytime I placed a resource on the terrain, the next time the save was loaded it erased them all - presumably the hut and resource patterns were reset on loading?

Ah I see. So there's no way to say, surround your city with oasises permanently =))?

Ah I see. So there's no way to say, surround your city with oasises permanently =))?

No legal way, so to say, but Dack already went his own way to achieve this: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=8613060#post8613060

For other very detailed information about special resources (and tribal huts) and solutions to customize their location, you can also take a look at those threads:
Modding Civilization I - Patterns for Huts and Special Resources (2009)
Modding Civ I - Special resources everywhere... or nowhere! (2013)
Civ1 Advanced hacking: special resource and hut patterns (2013)

I assume you want to reveal the whole map in the game, so what you basically need to do is use the Paint Visibility tool to reveal every map square on the map. The "Show map" / "Civ view" tools only show the map in JCivED but do not affect the visibility in the savegame itself.
I'm embarrassed to ask but I must. Where is the Paint Visibility tool? I'm completely new I installed jcived (v0.0.18a) a few hours ago.

I'm embarrassed to ask but I must. Where is the Paint Visibility tool? I'm completely new I installed jcived (v0.0.18a) a few hours ago.

The tool is right below the "Show all map" radio button. It can be used together with a pain brush size (1x1 by default), and you must manually reveal (or hide) the terrain you want.

Here is a screenshot hopefully showing you exactly where the tool is:

screen.png

Did you discover Future Tech in your savegame ? It is a known bug of JCivED to fail when opening savegames with Future Tech discovered, and I didn't release the fix yet.

If it is not the case, you can share your savegame files in this thread and I will have a look. You can also check if you see Java errors in the console that launches with JCivED, and share them here for troubleshooting.

I thought I had a work around for the Future Tech bug - when I get to the point that I have almost all of the technologies I switch the tax rate to 0 Science and freeze my tech growth. Works for a while, but at some point the JCiv won't open the game file. Haven't figured out the thing that tips the scale yet, might be population size?

Hey guys. I have a two little question. How change/rename EARTH in main menu? Is there a way to change Intro?

Sorry for my english.
Regards

EDIT
I change color Americans and i see that:

The color varies from light to dark. Flashes.

--------------------------------------------------------
Arrival at Alpha Centauri :D

I make a my small mod for Civ1 - Sid Meier's Civilization: Alpha Centauri :D

Last edited:
hello...
i have a problem when using an edited map by JCivED...
when I load a saved game for the 2nd time in a dosbox, it always show a blackened terrain, & black menus...
so I cannot read the menus for the 2nd load and the next load...
this didn't happen when I load a game for 1st time after I restart the dosbox, but for the 2nd load and so on it happens again...
could anybody tell me how to fix it???

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    67.2 KB · Views: 343
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    65.3 KB · Views: 269
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    51.6 KB · Views: 278
hello...
i have a problem when using an edited map by JCivED...
when I load a saved game for the 2nd time in a dosbox, it always show a blackened terrain, & black menus...
so I cannot read the menus for the 2nd load and the next load...
this didn't happen when I load a game for 1st time after I restart the dosbox, but for the 2nd load and so on it happens again...
could anybody tell me how to fix it???

I may have a quick look if you send me your savegames BEFORE and AFTER the change.

Hello
Iam new to the forum and just wanted to say thanks for your great tool.

I played CIV1 in the 90s a lot and your tool and other's add all i always missed in civ1... loading from within the game, land mass hack (just figured out how to do it and to get it loaded as "earth" map in civ1, took me quite some time :( but just did it for the first time yipeeeeeee) :) , so much more i gonna play around with later.

Now i only need the terraform to restart games.

thanks again

This program is amazing. If only I could use it with CivWin (been playing CivWin in HD with the dos graphics and sound mods) as there doesn't seem to be any CivWin editors out there.

Is there a CivDos to CivWin save converter out there by any chance? I've searched but had no luck.

Would love to use JCivEd to configure a new special game I've been plotting in my head and then once ready, convert the CivDos save over to CivWin format to then play the game.

Top Bottom