JCivED - a toolbox for Civilization

A neat thing about jcived is that it pulls its graphics directly from the game files rather than keeping its own copy. This was a nice surprise when I opened up a save :)

It does rather highlight my fudge for the hills and mountains. Basically the SNES only has a subset of mountain/hill connection types and will not generate maps with them clustered together in unusual configurations. To fill this gap I would actually need to have some artistic talent and draw new tiles, so for now they just look a bit odd in places.
1706174549003.png

A suggestion for a future jcived patch :) can we force the irrigation graphics to be the top layer like other improvements?
I am looking at it, and not going to be easy at first glance...

Rendering squares is a big routine, with chunks of code doing each part (terrain, improvements, rivers, coasts, special resources, ...), and switching parts or switching the order in which parts are processed in assembly, with jumps and the like, is kind of tricky...

The major issue is that I would need to introduce additional assembly JUMPS where there were none before, so as to hijack the execution flow, but sadly adding new code would need more room for the code, which always a big problem when hacking assembly.
One way to make room for new code could be to modify existing code with shorter instructions sometimes removing useless code (which has some occurences), but still needs in-depth analysis.

Will keep you posted when I can progress on this.

Top Bottom