optimal settings for laptop play

20jordo

Chieftain
i play on a laptop. its about a year old. standard hp laptop. around turn 300 game turns to .. soooo slow. ive messed around with the video settings but i dont even know what some of the options mean. anyone play on a laptop and has had success with a certain configuration?

I have a 2 year old Toshiba and had the same problem. I'm not a real techy guy but this is what I've figured out from reading countless threads and putting all the suggestions I've read into practice. This ate least let's me play games now and not have awful wait time for turns to complete or graphics to load. I also bought a laptop cooler.

Update your video drivers, that's a given. I had to uninstall my Toshiba drivers and use the generic ones from the Intel website. I have the graphics settings in Civ set to the lowest res (not sure what it is) I turn off battle animations, etc... I zoom all the way in during gameplay and city views. At the beginning of every other turn I switch to strategic view, zoom out, and survey everything (resources, units, etc....) to get a lay of the land, then I zoom back in, get back to standard view, and complete my turn. Just to keep turns shorter and to further ease the strain on my laptops resources I play small maps.

None of this is ideal but at least I can play now. Hope some of that is helpful.

two words...strategic view

Strategic view is the kind of view that would induce a gamer to kill himself if he had to play like that all the time.;)

None of this is ideal but at least I can play now. Hope some of that is helpful.

thx bro. ya got all of those covered except gna update my video drivers. appreciate the tips. haha so jealous when i see screenshots and theres detail in the ocean

I have a 2 year old Toshiba and had the same problem. I'm not a real techy guy but this is what I've figured out from reading countless threads and putting all the suggestions I've read into practice. This ate least let's me play games now and not have awful wait time for turns to complete or graphics to load. I also bought a laptop cooler.

Update your video drivers, that's a given. I had to uninstall my Toshiba drivers and use the generic ones from the Intel website. I have the graphics settings in Civ set to the lowest res (not sure what it is) I turn off battle animations, etc... I zoom all the way in during gameplay and city views. At the beginning of every other turn I switch to strategic view, zoom out, and survey everything (resources, units, etc....) to get a lay of the land, then I zoom back in, get back to standard view, and complete my turn. Just to keep turns shorter and to further ease the strain on my laptops resources I play small maps.

thanks bro. updating video drivers now

Top Bottom