Why don't wonders produce tourism?

any (or, at least most) added mechanics/complexity to the existing Civ game is welcome. but i find it that the actual act of "building a hotel/airport" to be kind of artificial seeming. like, why is it my job as government leader to ensure the building of Mariott? but i suppose building a major airport is, in most cases, traditionally done as a govt project. i guess it's best to imagine the act of building a hotel to be sort of like me or the govt as whole to encourage an accommodating or open society that would organically want to build hotels of their own will.

It's not an issue of realism but of balance. Wonders would become OP if they produced tourism in addition to the boons that they already give currently. It would turn wonder-hoarding into the optimal strategy for a cultural victory and reduce the relative usefulness of Great Artists/Musicians/Writers.

It's not an issue of realism but of balance. Wonders would become OP if they produced tourism in addition to the boons that they already give currently. It would turn wonder-hoarding into the optimal strategy for a cultural victory and reduce the relative usefulness of Great Artists/Musicians/Writers.

This. So much this. It's the realism vs. gameplay argument, and in this case, being realistic and having Tourism attached to all wonders would be absolutely detrimental to gameplay balance.

any (or, at least most) added mechanics/complexity to the existing Civ game is welcome. but i find it that the actual act of "building a hotel/airport" to be kind of artificial seeming. like, why is it my job as government leader to ensure the building of Mariott? but i suppose building a major airport is, in most cases, traditionally done as a govt project. i guess it's best to imagine the act of building a hotel to be sort of like me or the govt as whole to encourage an accommodating or open society that would organically want to build hotels of their own will.

You=/= the government
You = the civilization (that is why you choose religious beliefs and aspects of your civilization's culture or whether a writer will create artistic or political works)

Your in game actions represent the activities of government, churches, companies, protest groups, families, charismatic leaders, authors, scientists, etc. within your empire.

and tourism IS attatched to all wonders, it just isn't activated until hotels/airports

Actually I think it is fairly realistic to have tourism come late for wonders. It may be true the wealthy visited great wonders long ago, but for the average person that didn't start till the industrial revolution. That is when we started to have a middle class and when people got more "leisure time".

The tourism industry is a fairly recent addition to human history.

I'm sorry, it simply doesn't make any sense. The Pyramids, Parthenon, Statue of Zeus, Hagia Sophia, etc don't produce ANY tourism, yet a single work of writing attracts the masses? People from around the world have visited world wonders for thousands of years, so I would expect at least +1 tourism from each wonder. Wonders produced loads of tourism in real life, far before the modern/industrial era!
Not many people might visit Stratford-upon-Avon, but Shakespeare is performed and read all over the world. You might not have been to the Sistine Chapel (Sp?), but you know the image of god touching Adam with his index finger. As tourism is also used to show how much cultural influence you have, not just people physically visiting your country, this seems fine in my opinion.

Open Borders operates counter-intuitively for Tourism purposes. To get a Tourism bonus vs. another civ, you need OB from the other civ, but you are generally well-advised to deny OB to that civ to avoid giving him a Tourism bonus vs. you.

I don't follow this logic. It makes sense insofar as you need their borders to be open to more freely spread your tourism in their lands.

Therefore the AI civ needs to grant you the OB for the bonus. Human players giving away their OB should mean you're giving them open access to your lands, and thus their tourism would benefit.

It makes sense to me.

Also to answer OP and many others, wonders already produce tourism

most wonders do produce tourism, but only do so later in the game. lots of them yield some amount of culture, and after you build hotels and airports in your cities, that culture is also converted to tourism.

It's just not automatic. Which is fine by me.

I don't follow this logic. It makes sense insofar as you need their borders to be open to more freely spread your tourism in their lands.

Therefore the AI civ needs to grant you the OB for the bonus. Human players giving away their OB should mean you're giving them open access to your lands, and thus their tourism would benefit.

It makes sense to me.
It might not make sense to some people who think of tourism in its literal sense, i.e. people from other civilizations coming to visit your country. In that case, you should be opening your borders in order to receive the bonus.

But if you (as I do) view the concept of tourism as equating to "cultural influence", then certainly, your cultural influence will spread more easily to other civs if they open their borders to you.

This also explains why wonders don't generate tourism. It is because tourism doesn't refer to people visiting your country, but to the cultural influence you exert on other civs. Great works clearly spread your culture much more than having the Pyramids in your country.

Wonders produce tourism through the culture's conversion into tourism with the necessary buildings, and every world wonder produces at least 3 culture when 'Cultural Heritage Sites' has been passed in World Congress.

Top Bottom