Why don't wonders produce tourism?

MerchantCo

Merchant
Each wonder should produce +1 tourism, at least. It's only realistic - why would men and women from around the globe rush to see a great work of art, while they wouldn't go to see a world wonder... :confused:

most wonders do produce tourism, but only do so later in the game. lots of them yield some amount of culture, and after you build hotels and airports in your cities, that culture is also converted to tourism.

Also the Eiffel Tower produces 12 Tourism.

They do. They produce culture which, after you build a hotel or an airport, is converted into tourism. If all wonders produced tourism from the start of the game, culture victories would come much, much earlier.

well, i think it should somehow be tied to Open Borders. much of the tourism should only be with people you have agreed to let visit you. i know OB is about military units as most civilian units can enter but something like OB should be like +1 tourism with Civ you gave it to for each wonder you have (including natural wonders and excluding national ones AND excluding ones gotten in captured cities until a courthouse is built). its like a symbolic declaration of genuine friendship (or some such). this way you dont get tourism TOO early and even then its less than 10 unless you are on a very low difficulty. its just an idea though.

well, i think it should somehow be tied to Open Borders. much of the tourism should only be with people you have agreed to let visit you. i know OB is about military units as most civilian units can enter but something like OB should be like +1 tourism with Civ you gave it to for each wonder you have (including natural wonders and excluding national ones AND excluding ones gotten in captured cities until a courthouse is built). its like a symbolic declaration of genuine friendship (or some such). this way you dont get tourism TOO early and even then its less than 10 unless you are on a very low difficulty. its just an idea though.

But tourism is tied to open borders. It increases your base tourism with the other civ by 25%.

Open Borders operates counter-intuitively for Tourism purposes. To get a Tourism bonus vs. another civ, you need OB from the other civ, but you are generally well-advised to deny OB to that civ to avoid giving him a Tourism bonus vs. you.

I understood HR's point to be that Tourism (at least Tourism from Wonders, for purposes of this discussion) should depend on whether you have given Open Border to other civs (as he put it, "people you have agreed to let visit you").

I suspect the reason Firaxis chose to require OB from the other civ, as opposed to giving OB, for the Tourism benefit is to prevent human player abuses, where you give away OB (even to Guarded and Hostile civs, if your military is good enough) for the tourism bonus. By requiring OB from the other civ to get the tourism bonus, you have to actually work at diplomacy/making nice, and even then it can be quite difficult to get OB from Guarded and Hostile civs with different Ideologies.

Does anyone else find it a little silly that the Eiffel Tower give 24 times the tourism as most other wonders? I mean, honestly I'd rather see Chitchen Itza or the Himeji Castle. Most wonders only give 1:c5culture:, and every 2:c5culture: gets converted into 1 tourism. It just seems a little silly to me I guess.

Does anyone else find it a little silly that the Eiffel Tower give 24 times the tourism as most other wonders? I mean, honestly I'd rather see Chitchen Itza or the Himeji Castle. Most wonders only give 1:c5culture:, and every 2:c5culture: gets converted into 1 tourism. It just seems a little silly to me I guess.

Well, Paris is the most visited city in the world...

It's more than a little unintuitive that wonders don't grant tourism. I wouldn't mind wonders granting a flat out tourism bonus but would rather it not be by default and instead earned via a policy (aesthetics finisher???) or through some other means. (This isn't because I think it would cause balance problems with the culture victory (it really wouldn't) but because the extra free tourism kind of steps on France's toes a bit.)

Culture victories should be directly tied to obtaining wonders and great works, not just great works. Wonders won't even produce tourism until refrigeration, and even then, you'll have to buy/produce hotels. Think of it, guys - the pyramid attracted tourists, even in ancient times. Why not other wonders? You shouldn't have to wait that late in the game until you get tourism from wonders.

I disagree. Not everyone wants to see certain wonders. Personally i'd rather to see the eiffel tower than the himeji castle or the chichen itza.

Culture victories should be directly tied to obtaining wonders and great works, not just great works. Wonders won't even produce tourism until refrigeration, and even then, you'll have to buy/produce hotels. Think of it, guys - the pyramid attracted tourists, even in ancient times. Why not other wonders? You shouldn't have to wait that late in the game until you get tourism from wonders.

You more or less need several Wonders to win Culture, you won't have enough slots for Great Works otherwise, plus themeing bonuses are huge.

I'm sorry, it simply doesn't make any sense. The Pyramids, Parthenon, Statue of Zeus, Hagia Sophia, etc don't produce ANY tourism, yet a single work of writing attracts the masses? People from around the world have visited world wonders for thousands of years, so I would expect at least +1 tourism from each wonder. Wonders produced loads of tourism in real life, far before the modern/industrial era!

I'm sorry, it simply doesn't make any sense. The Pyramids, Parthenon, Statue of Zeus, Hagia Sophia, etc don't produce ANY tourism, yet a single work of writing attracts the masses? People from around the world have visited world wonders for thousands of years, so I would expect at least +1 tourism from each wonder. Wonders produced loads of tourism in real life, far before the modern/industrial era!

That's where you wrong, it needing to be sense.. this is a game, if every world wonder woudl produce Tourism then a nation could become extremly powerful because they generate SO Much tourism early on.

Top Bottom