Changes in Diplomacy

well
there's trade routes modifiers now
also congress modifiers
im guessing if u propose something that negatively impacts a civ, that civ is going to hate u forever

Diplomacy is the same, it just come with a few new modifiers.

The World Congress will add new ways to get positive/negative modifiers.

That you can flip AI's ideology selection to yours, means you can remove negative modifiers by converting them.

Working Archaeology sites inside the border of another country can create hate.

All right, and on the bipolarity of the leaders? something will be changed?

The AI isn't bipolar at all. It's 99% a simple number crunching game of +/- modifiers that creates the AI's behavior towards you. Only exception is if you're doing to well or have a to weak military, both can override diplomacy.

well
there's trade routes modifiers now
also congress modifiers
im guessing if u propose something that negatively impacts a civ, that civ is going to hate u forever

The AI isn't bipolar at all. It's 99% a simple number crunching game of +/- modifiers that creates the AI's behavior towards you. Only exception is if you're doing to well or have a to weak military, both can override diplomacy.

I think that the diplomacy of the Civ IV is more balanced. In Civ V, some civ are friends now and after 10 turns will be enemies your. This is confused.

I think that the diplomacy of the Civ IV is more balanced. In Civ V, some civ are friends now and after 10 turns will be enemies your. This is confused.

Never had that happen before. If you expect to be friends with Genghis, Atilla, Boudicca, and Alexander forever you probably need a brain checkup.

Moderator Action: Please don't be so confrontational. Implying that other posters might be in need of a 'brain checkup' is not how you engage in a civil discussion.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

You have to go read the diplomacy sticky in one of the forums, that gives you all the modifiers that effect diplomacy.

AI vs AI diplomacy is a bit harder to see, since it's hidden, but I don't recall the last time I felt it made no sense that the AI threw a DoW, DoW, Denounce at another AI, so I believe everyone can learn to anticipate AI vs AI behavior.

Don't forget certain civs come with the ability to backstab "friends", but backstabs is visible in the diplomatic overview (Global Politics tab).

I do believe that overall, the expansion wants you to 'get out of your shell', so to speak.

Which leads me to three questions based on the diplomacy changes:
1. How viable is an 'isolationist' approach? A buddy I do multiplayer games with often is a great fan of Japanese culture and very much likes to play the hermit in our games.

2. Has there been *any* mention of 'justifiable war'? This has long been a complaint of CiV that a competitor nation can do everything but nuke you and responding with a few Panzers always seems to mark you forever as a 'warmonger'. Seeing how important diplomacy will be in the patch, this could be debilitating.

3. How is diplomacy going to work in multiplayer games? Mechanics like diplomats seem ill-suited for telling the intentions of a human player, and I've heard of more than a few 'how do they feel about us' additions.

According to MadDjinn's video, friendly AIs now give like-for-like trades for GPT, which will be useful in the early game - especially since luxury sales are now going to be much harder to do.

(as an aside: I get the feeling that fast early-game expansion is going to be more of a risk than a solid strategy now. You will actually have to build Settlers instead of buying them!)

Never had that happen before. If you expect to be friends with Genghis, Atilla, Boudicca, and Alexander forever you probably need a brain checkup.

Genghis is actually a pretty loyal friend, unless you're next-door neighbours. The problem with befriending him is that everyone always hates him :lol:

According to MadDjinn's video, friendly AIs now give like-for-like trades for GPT, which will be useful in the early game - especially since luxury sales are now going to be much harder to do.

(as an aside: I get the feeling that fast early-game expansion is going to be more of a risk than a solid strategy now. You will actually have to build Settlers instead of buying them!)

They also rebalanced the gpt-to-lump-sum equivalence to be a straight 8 gpt for 30 gold. That means a lux (240 gold equivalent) for gpt trade will be 8 gpt per lux (rather than the current receive 7 gpt plus 20 gold or, alternatively, receive 8 gpt and you pay 12 gpt (plus the lux)). For someone you have a DOF with, you should be able to receive a loan of 120 gold for 4 gpt, rather than the current 112 gold for 4 gpt.

Genghis is actually a pretty loyal friend, unless you're next-door neighbours. The problem with befriending him is that everyone always hates him :lol:

Agreed. He's been my best friend in a lot of games now. If you are a 'Warmongering Menace to the world' yourself most of the time he doesn't care... being one himself I suppose. Sometimes he's been the only way I have been able to get reasonable trade deals plus RA's.

Atilla tends to get crushed early on (AI can't use battering rams to best effect), Alexander is always a B*****d, neutral on first encounter then hostile a few turns later.

Boudicca, Theo, Dido, Elizabeth and Catherine... tricky, it's only my impression but the ladies seem fond of being friendly to start, then backstabbing you at the worse time. Especially Catherine.

Agreed. He's been my best friend in a lot of games now. If you are a 'Warmongering Menace to the world' yourself most of the time he doesn't care... being one himself I suppose. Sometimes he's been the only way I have been able to get reasonable trade deals plus RA's.

Atilla tends to get crushed early on (AI can't use battering rams to best effect), Alexander is always a B*****d, neutral on first encounter then hostile a few turns later.

Boudicca, Theo, Dido, Elizabeth and Catherine... tricky, it's only my impression but the ladies seem fond of being friendly to start, then backstabbing you at the worse time. Especially Catherine.

Reminds me of a game I was playing with Washington, I saw the Russian backstab coming and I easily took out her 3 cities in about 25 turns.Then my loyal friend form siam stabbed me in the back, why is that? Because of one war I am labeled and denounced as a warmogger. I hope they do something so civs aren't as harsh, really the war was in defense as she was planning to invade me.

They also rebalanced the gpt-to-lump-sum equivalence to be a straight 8 gpt for 30 gold. That means a lux (240 gold equivalent) for gpt trade will be 8 gpt per lux (rather than the current receive 7 gpt plus 20 gold or, alternatively, receive 8 gpt and you pay 12 gpt (plus the lux)). For someone you have a DOF with, you should be able to receive a loan of 120 gold for 4 gpt, rather than the current 112 gold for 4 gpt.

Yeah I'm glad that they have equalized GPT and raw sum of money.

But, you know, this completely defies the rules of a true economy. If this followed real world economy it would work like this:

I give you 100 gold now and you'll pay me 4 golds every turn, and after 30 turns you'll give me back my 100 gold! :lol:

Well it doesn't need to be so harsh, but undoubtedly a sum of gold now is always better than gold per turn that will give you the exact same amount of money 30 turns later.

This kind of messed up economic system is just a plain advantage for the player which will use AI as banks that offer loans at 0 interest (crazy!).

At least now only "friends" can be exploited.

Reminds me of a game I was playing with Washington, I saw the Russian backstab coming and I easily took out her 3 cities in about 25 turns.Then my loyal friend form siam stabbed me in the back, why is that? Because of one war I am labeled and denounced as a warmogger. I hope they do something so civs aren't as harsh, really the war was in defense as she was planning to invade me.

In that situation I would have placed my units ready to take her cities, and some defensive units too. Then I would just wait for her to declare war on me, and proceed to whoop her. That way she's the one who declares the war, and you come away with some (hopefully) nice cities. Of course, knowing Siam, they'd invade you anyway. -_-

Question for who played BNW:

"Diplomacy is changed? Improved?"

No improvements whatsoever, but the AI is much less aggressive now do to the new economic constraints. You probably won't have to worry much about backstabbing.

The only diplomatic changes are the new modifiers.

Top Bottom