If you could design a third expansion for Civ 5, which 9 Civs would you include?

I actually made a list for this a long time ago before I really got into designing civs.

1. Nubia
2. Ghana
3. Hebrew
4. Tibet
5. Philippines (bias)
6. Australia
7. Olmecs
8. Kongo
9. Vietnam

None - I'd spend the resources adding new game mechanics all existing civs can benefit from - and maybe re-balance the existing ones

I would be glad if they fixed the memory problems above 2GB, e.g. by going 64bit with Civ5 ...

As new Civs (with regard for TSL) I would like :

South America - Argentina
Africa - Congo
Africa - Nubia
Africa - Madagascar
Asia - Black Sea region - Scythians or Khazars
Asia - Turks (of Samarkand) - (the Ottomans could play this role too since there is already Theodora in Constantinople)
Asia - (India/Pakistan) - Mogul - Empire
Asia - Tibet
Asia - 2nd (South) China
Asia - Phillippines
Australia

Norway, for nationalistic reasons

Australia, because in TSL the entire continent is up for grabs.

The Souix, one of the most famous Native tribes and one of the most important. Sitting bull 4life

The Sumer, If we are talking about the cradle of civilizarion we need to add the first and mabye msot important of them all.

Tibet, perfect blocker between Mongolia and China/Siam in TSL, also we need more religious civs imo.

Chile, imo it woudl be a more interesting pick in south america to argentina, as Augusto Pinochet is an much mroe interesting figure than any argentinan politician imo

Benin/Mali, One of the great kingdoms of Africa would be cool imo.

Switzerland, long and interesting history as a neutral nation. would also complete the european TSL pretty nicely

Cuba, Really important in modern history, and IMO fidel castro is one of the largest political faces of the last century

Do all of the warring states: Qin, Chu, Qi, Yan, Han, Wei, Yue and Zhao. Add in the Shang for good measure.

If there's a 3rd expansion I'd rather it fixed the game engine. It becomes laggy sometimes and it takes too long for the AI to take its turns.

Y'know, I actually tried to make a Qi design once for a thing over in another sub. I couldn't find any good uniques.

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas & Suggestions

1. Lan Xang
  2. Australia
  3. Dahomey
  4. Romania/Wallachia
  5. Hungary orLithuania
  6. Great Zimbabwe or Madagascar (For the sake of another civ in Southern Africa.)
  7. Tibet
  8. Akkadia
  9. Gran Columbia

How about an expansion dedicated to 'barbarians' and nomads (and civilizations with a much looser political structure than the 'big nation state' model that Civ games normally treat everone as).

This would introduce new gameplay mechanics related to nomadic and semi-nomadic civilizations (don't need cities to build units, trade, or research), and very decentralized civilizations where (except brief periods under a particularly effective and charismatic leader) you only have very limited influence over most of your cities/settlements/hordes.

Perhaps also new economic features based on the gift economy discussed in Empires of the Silk Road. (Short summary: the more wealth a ruler can give away, the bigger and better war band/army he can retain).

Then add new civilizations (and re-work existing ones) to take advantage of these features.

Suggestions:
  • Re-worked Mongols
  • Re-worked Celts
  • Re-worked Huns
  • Re-worked Vikings (possibly)
  • Scythians
  • Khazars
  • One or more of other Central-Asian Turkic emprires (e.g. Türk/Gokturks, Cumans, Timurids)
  • Magyars/Hungarians (would require a mechanism for a nomadic civilization to turn into a more conventinal settled one).
  • Manchus (useful on historic-start world maps for limiting northward Chinese expansion).
  • One or more of the Plains Indians cultures (e.g. Apache, Sioux, Commanche, Cheyenne). I'm afraid I don't know enough about Native American cultures or history to say which one(s) would be most appropriate.

Possibly also a re-worked Ancient Greece as well. (Not nomadic or 'barbarian', but similar mechanics might better represent a civilization comprised of multiple independent city states).

This could also be involve a reworking of how Barbarians themelves function, perhaps now turning them into multiple minor civilizations, that are generally very agressive and predatory, but can potentially be negotiated (even if that just means bribing them to not attack you, or to attack someone else instead).

Ooh, ooh, I can answer this!

My list would be:

• Argentina (Eva Peron)
  • Armenia (Tigranes II
  • Burma (Anawrahta)
  • Cherokee (John Ross/Dragging Canoe)
  • Illyria (Teuta)
  • Inuit
  • Kongo (Nzinga Mbande)
  • Madagascar (Ranavalona I)
  • Vietnam (Trung Sisters/Trung Trac)

I tried to keep a continental consistency (2 Asian, 2 [Classical] European, 2 African, 2 North American, and 1 South American).

Honorable mentions go to who would be in my second expansion:

• Apache
  • Ashanti
  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Khazaria
  • Kilwa
  • Mapuche
  • Timurids
  • Wallachia

And of course, Sumer, Khmer, and the Sioux, with any of them being interchangable with the the first list (mainly Inuit though, being the weakest of the 9 in terms of at least leader, as their UA is pretty easily snow tile-related).

I would put

1) Hungary-for its medieval significance
2) Kongo-for Nzinga :blush:
3) Vietnam-for the Trung sisters :p
4) Maurya-to represent ancient India, cause silly Gandhi is always in :rolleyes:
5) Nubia-it has strangely never been in Civ before, which is a shame, it is not merely a knock off of Egypt
6) Sumer- for being the "first" civ
7) Timurids-to represent Central Asia
8) Ashanti-for more West African representation
9) Hittites-for being an adversary to ancient Egypt

others I would consider: a Pacific Northwest Native civ (for flavor), another South American civ (perhaps Tupi), Zimbabwe, Phoenicia, Bulgaria, Cholas, Australia

Mine would be:
1) Haida
2) Armenia
3) Israel
4) Mughals
5) Manchu
6) Hungary
7) Nubia
8) Zapotecs
9) Sumerians

Yes, the Near East and Americas are overrepresented; I don't have a problem with that at all. :p

9 Civis? The third expansion of civ 5 had 3 European civs (Poland, Portugal and Venice), 2 African civs (Morocco and Zulus), 1 civ of South America (Brazil), 1 native civ of North America (Shoshone), 1 civ Middle East (Assyria) and 1 civ Southeast Asia (Indonesia). I'll make a parallel to that, also considering that we had a native civ and a modern civ (Shoshone and Brazil respectively), so my list would be:

European civs:
1- Hungary
2- Romania
3- Belgium

African civs
4- Benin Empire
5- Morocco

Civ Native and South America
6- Arawak.
Or Civ Mesoamerican (Olmecs)

Civ Modern and North America
7- Canada

Middle East civ
8- Israel

Civ Southeast Asia
9- Siam

Kongo
Timurids
Vietnam
Swahilli (Kilwa) or Great Zimbabwe
Gran Colombia
Hungary
Armenia
Tibet
Sumer

If I were to replace old civs with these, I'd remove Polynesia, Babylon, Zulu, Austria, Sweden, Huns, Dutch, Venice and Celts as they are my least favourite/crucial civs.

Kongo
Timurids
Vietnam
Swahilli (Kilwa) or Great Zimbabwe
Gran Colombia
Hungary
Armenia
Tibet
Sumer

If I were to replace old civs with these, I'd remove Polynesia, Babylon, Zulu, Austria, Sweden, Huns, Dutch, Venice and Celts as they are my least favourite/crucial civs.

remove Babylon? Then the Babylonian observer sub in the Civ Battle Royale won't exist! :p

Top Bottom