Pie's Ancient Europe

Hello Pie, I'm back playing PAE after several months, and I always find it rewarding. Thanks for all you do. I ran across something I was concerned about (naturally, because it went against me!):
I hired a bunch of mercenaries to harass my enemy. They showed up right on our border (next to forces belonging to me and to my enemy). When their turn came, they left the enemy alone, crossed the border and attacked my forces. I realize they're mercenaries, but I seriously doubt my enemy had to pay them off. Is this something that can be worked out, or is it sort of built in to the AI?
Thanks again, to you and your team, for everything!

EDIT: I tried this again in the same game. Mercs started a bit farther from my border, but they still made a B-line to my nearest city. Sure, I get that, in these games, everyone is supposed to be against me, but, hell, if I buy mercenaries, I want them to stay bought! (Unless it can be confirmed that the enemy has bought them off at a higher price!)

I found funny bug - if you promote a unit to elite one while unit is successfully fighting, unit will clone itself and the clone receives the promotion. I had an army of syrian guards made literally out of nothing (and they were led by the same general)

Hi Malgoffen,

:D no, mercenaries can't get paid off. Those units are Barbarian AI units. So they work like a normal Barbarian unit. That's why, they look where's the nearest and weakest city or the more worth land improvements to pillage and go there. So, you should increase your forces at your borders so that they won't harass your territory anymore.. that's the only solution, I think.

Thx, saddam for that bug finding! ;)

Just downloaded this recently and wanted to say that this mod is very enjoyable. I'm looking forward to playing it with my friends online. One question though. What map script or scripts do you guys suggest using for this mod?

Thanks David!
About maps: try out. You can try european scenario maps, you can even try Creation. As you like. First of all, I'd say you start trying an european scenario map (small, standard, large or huge as you want). I could imagine that you guys want to play the "original" history with original starting locations. ;)

Hey Pie, great mod here. It's one i always head back to whenever i get that CIV itch. I have been playing for a little bit this latest edition and had a question on technologies. I'm playing Noble at Epic speed and the world always seem to fall behind in tech (compared to the dates in the tech tree) around 1000 BC. In a recent Babylon game i was well ahead of everyone in tech, and had no 800BC techs by 500 BC, and in my current Greeks game Egypt is the most advanced and has nothing past the 800BC line in 399BC. Does this have something to do with the speed or difficulty i am playing on or is there something i need to do differently?

EDIT: I'm on a generated map using the Pie Generator.

Hi US,
no, everything's fine. It's not possible to differ tech speed from map creation or map size. Eg on a huge map CIVs can easily grow up to a big empire without having troubles with neighbour CIVs. On smaller maps or maps with challenging terrain realms are quite small. The more cities the faster your tech boost.

So, every game differs in PAE. And that's good. The time line is just a guide and not a must! ;)

US, did this map script generate a start at 5000 BC? Because Epic speed has been revised with Pie's last patch, and some scenarios didn't get a proper update. If your game started at 4000 BC, this would be an explanation why they lag behind.

For many players who like the roleplay side and immersion side of PAE and Civ (like me) it's important, that the year displayed in the upper right corner feels alright and not "wrong".

Really want to thank the team for this great mod/maps.

Can anyone explain what "special game speed" is in the game speed option? When I play custom scenario, I see the usual Quick, Standard, Epic etc options as well as two options of "special game speed". I am actually interested in playing a game where tech takes longer to research but units/buildings are kept under reasonable costs, such that I can enjoy their benefits for some time before they go obsolete. Would this be what "special game speed" is for?

Question: How exactly does the Grain Wagon work? Does it deliver a fixed amount of food or does it depend on something?

Yes, it takes half food of the city when built and gives a fixed amount of 50 food to the new city.

Yes, it takes half food of the city when built and gives a fixed amount of 50 food to the new city.

But... doesn't that mean it is best to build Grain Wagons right after growth?

It takes more time to build them in smaller cities.
They are best in cities where you don't want to grow anymore. There you don't care about food.

I think that's pretty contrived.

What's the rationale behind Autocracy doubling the chance of slave uprisings? All the big slave uprisings in Roman history were at the time of the Republic.

Oh, thx! I forgot it to put that out! thx!
But there is an alternative link on the german civ forum. I think, it goes faster than atomic did.

Ok, so I did something silly. Actually, I did a bunch of silly things but I'll give you the simple version:

I patched up to the 3rd patch only to discover that my Massive Europe map doesn't work anymore (it would load but right as it finished loading it would inform me I had been defeated, and exit). I failed to keep the 2nd patch files, so now I can't go back. :cry:

I've been trying to identify why my map no longer works. I opened it in notepad and compared it to the other maps (patch 3 versions) and noticed a bunch of differences, which I then fixed. In particular, I noticed the flag art work file names were all different, so I changed them to the new version for each civ. I changed the start year to 5000bc. I see that the newer maps have text data for 40 teams, even though there really are only 17 or 18 civs playable. I mimicked that (copy & paste, in fact).

But it still doesn't work. It now says "failed to read worldbuilder file." Any thoughts on how I can edit it so it will work?

Failing that, can I get the 2nd patch?

Thanks,

-Arrian

Attachments

• PAE Massive Arrian.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
Oh man,...

hard way to bring your map to work:
1. you don't need all 40 civs. only with the dll-file in your assets folder (from the pae extras folder). so 18 civs work without the dll.
start a 5000 BC map with your civs, make a WB file and copy the civs tags into your map. the civ-ID should be the same of your map.
2. is it an advanced scenario? then unit and building names could be changed

easy way but no great play with patch 3 changes:
download: PAE V patch 2
I could imagine, you'd better delete PAE first and unpack the Vanilla PAE V version before.

At first I would suggest to pretend the string "Platy Builder" over "Version=11" at the start of the WB file, but I doesn't test it.

Top Bottom