An invasion fleet like no other...

smallfish

Immortal
I'm shocked - this amount of firepower presented here is kinda too much for my tiny garrison at Palenque to handle.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

So I'm not sure what Augustus is trying to do here. He and I are still under a DoF, he is at war with Carthage (apparently in response to her backstabbing me at an inopportune moment, or maybe because I wiped out her sneak attack with a well-aimed nuclear missile...), and yet he isn't doing much against that Carthaginian stronghold to the northeast.

I guess I'll wait for my man in Rome to tell me what he is actually planning, because I'm just sick and tired of having to fight constant backstabby wars.

LOL - now that seems like a decent invasion force! Who said they can't put an invasion force together!

Seriously, I've noticed that in G&K the AI is much improved at naval affairs and tactics, so much so, that I've been building a lot more submarines in my last couple of games... Battleships and Carriers seem to be their favourites, both of which have a very satisfying gurgling sound as they go down! :lol:

So what happened?:)

As in, what did Rome do after this? I cannot say for certain, and he is my last target. Currently finishing off Korean Runaway, who still has too many production cities for me to leave alone.

But what happened in this game?

Betrayal. The worst form of contract breaking. Treachery. Facing constant pressure from vipers from the BCE

I would have expected it from Napoleon, who was far more of a honest man than anyone of those vipers. Him, Pacal, Kamehameha... even Augustus didn't stoop so low as Darius and Dido.

In time immemorial, when there was still five civilizations in our hemisphere, Napoleon decided to go warmongering on me. This was expected, and I cannot fault the man for I was planning to do the same to him. Render unto Attila what is Attila's. Truly a great man with the right idea. So it looked like I was going to lose with French CBs and catapults and chariots by the dozens spamming across our frontiers. Then near but far Persia, and hilly Carthage, decided I was to be offered a hand in friendship. So I accepted, and I built all the Horse Archers and warriors I could with 2 production cities, and beat back the ravening hordes of Immortal France.

Then I started taking his cities. First it was Lyon, then Paris, and that was when Napoleon built the Great Wall in Orleans. He built it at the crux of the moment when my Horse Archers were pummeling Paris down. I kept pushing with the help of a citadel... then it was time to take Orleans.

At this time, they began to snake up...

Spoiler :

Yes, the misdeeds of defending oneself by going on the offensive.

It was a good roll I had going. Five Horse Archers ripping into Orleans... then the Persians decided to have a go at it too. And then the Carthaginians.

Spoiler :

Never fear I thought, I was amongst friends, and even if Dido was a little bit angry at me, I still had Darius the Wise whom I could consult for advice should the burden of leadership overcome me. Plus, a little healthy race for a wonder city would never hurt...

Spoiler :

2 Horse Archers immediately died because they had the misfortune of being placed in between a Persian GA-boosted bunch of Pikemen.

As for the Carthaginians...

Spoiler :

Treachery. Truly the worst form of contract breaking.

But it wasn't that bad. I mean, more than a 1000 years would have changed the minds of anyone right?

We can all still be friends, right?

Am I right?

We did, eventually, become friends yes. But it seems Dido never learned.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

They are all gone now, except me, Dido, Sejong and Augustus. Soon Dido and Sejong will past into antiquity, and there will only be the Scourge of Rome and Rome.

But treachery... it will still be the worst form of contract breaking ever.

:lol: There is still a knight and a horse archer in 1981 AD. A long standing garrison. :D

I am interested in seeing what happens next.

:lol: There is still a knight and a horse archer in 1981 AD. A long standing garrison. :D

Haha, 1981 AD, that was the year after I was born. Anyway, best be off, things to do.....*dons plate armour, mounts trusty steed and gallops into the distance*

I feel your pain. How would you like to have a runaway Bismarck single you out all game?

Thats what just happened to me, the pious, peaceloving people of Japan. All game long I was 10 techs behind, I had muskets, he had rifles. I had rifles, he had WWI inf etc, etc. Tanks, fighters, bombers, rocket artillery, even a modern battle fleet threatening one of my port cities. It was an entire culture game spent fending off the guy that likes to make the worlds biggest army. if it had been immortal, I wouldnt have made it. In the end he had GDRs too, but he could not attack me because of a peace treaty.

Never seen a city-state with a Carrier before. Did he even have any aircraft?

I was thinking it might make for a useful ally to at least protect his flank.

Ah how i hate when a "friendly" AI decides to attack you while you are busy fighting someone else.

I have to admit, there are times when the AI seems rather brilliantly evil instead of so dumb. Usually not though...

Aye, thank you all.

Never seen a city-state with a Carrier before. Did he even have any aircraft?

Nah, it was a Korean carrier... that got eaten up by Colombo's privateers. Judging by the amount of naval forces Sejong placed in that area, and the fact that after our first "war" he was buying up all my city-state allies, he was planning to base *something* on them to carry out an invasion.

He did something else that would make anyone regret not having proper garrisons, though.

Spoiler :

I lost a rocket tube, and had to rush in a Modern Armor (upgraded from one of my cavalries stationed in Palenque to the north) and another MLRS to beat back this infernal battlemech.

Spoiler :

Indeed, I really like it, don't ever shy away from telling us more, if you happen to have an interesting game ! :goodjob:

Btw: If Rome had backstabbed you at that point, greeting you with 2 A-bombs, you might have been in a bit of a pickle. ;)

Nay, Carthage struck me with 3 A-Bombs. 2 more from the Romans wouldn't have mattered... unless they were nuclear missiles, of course.

Apparently she didn't have uranium of her own (Rome did; there was Korea, but they were not on best terms)... and that Augustus was asking for Open Borders (refused) right before she launched her second sneak attack. Though we are in a DoF... there was one time when I could have renewed our DoF, and the Romans literally said "I fear it is not in our best interests."

Hmmmmmm...

Yup, there is never a thing as too many units :lol:

But what happened, you ask? Stalemate. My whole front on the other side of the world was in complete disaster.

The road to Seoul was paved in thermonuclear fire. Each time I tried pushing, I realized I had not enough nuclear missiles, or Sejong would nuke my stealth bombers, or because of an accidental misclick my happiness would go off the roof into rebellion. It got to the point where only one side was using Stealth Bombers (Sejong) and one side was relying on tubes of the naval and ground varieties and ol' fashioned Bombers.

Spoiler :

In this regard, using SAMs to push forward was not a bad idea. I'd wager Sejong lost more fighters and bombers (and jet fighters) thanks to those two SAMs here.

I was at the cusp of getting Seoul, and another nuclear missile or two would have terrifically shattered the Koreans, when the Carthaginians backstabbed me.

So, for one, I had to give Wonju (and Valetta) to the Romans.

Spoiler :

For two, the fleet supporting my advance had to go home.

Spoiler :

For three, use all the monies I gotten from Rome to rushbuy a ICBM and give Dido a welcoming present for all her treachery.

Spoiler :

For a moment, I thought the Romans would have joined in the backstabbingfest...

Spoiler :

But once I started taking Carthaginian cities, it became readily apparent who his real target was.

Spoiler :

Only when the Carthaginians were taught the harsh price of treachery did I return back to Sejong.

Spoiler :

He really loved GDRs, and I cannot fault him with the amount of uranium he was running.

Spoiler :

But they just couldn't stand up to thermonuclear weaponry.

Spoiler :

Still, he wouldn't give up.

Spoiler :

I wondered why, and the next turn he showed me why.

Spoiler :

Always have a nuclear missile or two in reserve. Reserves are never a bad thing to have.

Wow what's your endgame here? With an Empire that big I would assume Sejong would have won SS by now.

He left me with no choice but to go only one route... okay, I was always planning to go that route. But he never built the UN.:(

Spoiler :

T313 - Sejong wins Science Victory

T412 - Sejong loses his capital Seoul

I wonder if winning Science Victory and enjoying it for a 100 turns was worth the price of thermonuclear fire and conquest...

Top Bottom