Notes and Reflections from Greater Mesopotamia

Piqued

Chieftain
Pre-script: I looked around for somewhere this kind of thing was supposed to go, read the FAQ, the basics; didn't really see anything. This is actually my first Civ-Fan-Center post, pardon in advance for any faux pas or other breach of etiquette. This is a very long post. Pardon any little typographic or grammatical errors, I would like to go to bed, I promise to do a typographical pass later.

First of all I'd just like to gush a little, my goodness, this mod is very cool - it's not perfect, of course, but it's very cool. I've been playing... about a week now? Week and half, two weeks, something like that. I'm playing a giant world (not bigger, because my computer's a bit of a geezer these days), holy crud it's big and frankly I'm floored that C2C runs as well as it does on a turn to turn basis. Whoever's responsible for the optimization in this thing deserves a trophy, or a medal, or something. I'm playing Marathon speed, I started out in Snail and decided the first time I got to the end of the Ancient era that I was going to restart at a slightly faster speed - not because I didn't like the speed, but because I wanted to see more of the mod, sooner, and made a better educated assessment of whether or not this was something I wanted to sink weeks, months even, into (as seemed increasingly likely the nearer I got to a proper civilization). It was (something I wanted to sink weeks into), I have, and I'm loving it. I'm invested now, I have every intention of finishing this game through to the end, If I have the strength.

We founded Uruk on the south bank of a great lake, and set about the business of making a living as early humans. Our lake, we're calling her Abzu's Basin these days, was blessed with a wide range of resources and conditions that facilitated early moves towards prosperous settlement and the underpinnings of a sedentary lifestyle; fresh water, staple grains, ample wildlife of all sizes - mostly the harmless and variously vulnerable variety - and plenty of gatherables. So we hunted and gathered, invented language, found wonder and introspection in the great landmarks, and generally rose meteorically to early tribalism and a cultural identity. Sumerians spread out from Uruk all along the banks of Abzu's Basin; we met our neighbors to the Northeast, the vile Carthaginians, and the savage Ethiopians to the Southeast, who bred with Neanderthal stock. We were the first in the land to perfect the art of sedentary living, and with it Agriculture, which is when things got dicey for a bit.

The Carthaginians, a jealous and violent people, wanted to ride the grain-train to civilization station too, but they didn't want to do the work. Just after we entered the Ancient era they came over the hills in a great horde with many atalatlists, and other primitive warriors that easily overwhelmed our slightly more advanced garrisons of slingers and obsidian axemen. They had us on a back foot as we scrambled to protect our tribesmen, and quickly conquered another settlement. When they approached Uruk, though, we had a response prepared in the newly discovered art of horse-riding.

We mastered the Ancient way of the Horse, used superior mobility and defensive terrain to stall and eventually turn the Carthaginian army; we chased them back through our lands, retook our settlements, and eventually made peace after some punitive raiding. However, our role as the world's decisive leader in innovation was well and surely lost. The Carthaginian invasion has colored the rest of the game - what might have been a tall, peaceful game defined by efficiency and micromanagement has turned into a monstrous exercise in delegation and focused inattention. Rather than turn our efforts back to industrious innovation, we doubled down on military strength, eventually we returned to Carthage to sack their cities and subjugate their people, and we've kind of been doing the same thing ever since. First Ethiopia near the end of the Ancient Era - at the time they were my largest and most powerful rival, absorbing them not-quite doubled the area and population of the empire, and now we call ourselves Greater Mesopotamia, where Mesopotamia is the traditional holdings of our people around Abzu's Basin, and our imperial holdings across the continent are the reach of Greater Mesopotamia.

To fuel our military need for hammers, we adopted slavery and took many captives from the Carthaginian and Ethiopian campaigns. My main recruitment centers in Mesopotamia: Eridug (the holy city of Mesopotamism and our primary naval manufactory), Kis, Urim, and Uruk; churn our 1 of a horse crossbowman, a light cavalry, a mounted infantry, or a sentry; every turn, each. We stopped really playing the Wonders game after the Ancient Era; we get a few, but most went to Ethiopa or other foreign powers. Ethiopia's wonders are ours now, though, so I reckon it doesn't matter.

It's about 550 BCE now, midway through the Classical era, we've regained a position of glory at the forefront of civilization, largely riding on the horse of conquest. This is not usually my style, but I guess I'm Gilgamesh and it kind of is his style, and I'm having a good time anyway. There's a huge amount of variety that I'm really enjoying in the military side of things, it's a good bit more complicated than Rock/Paper/Scissors, because there's multiple answers to every question, more than one unit can fill any given role. I'm running 3 armies in the field right now; one is largely a cavalry horde that has split into two separate front in the South, comprised mostly of Horse Archers and Mounted Infantry and a weird smattering of siege units from various eras. My navy is mostly tied up in the invasion of Israel, an island nation to the Northeast, where I'm fielding a new army of classical era siege weapons and foot troops; and I have a very small expedition to the Southeast tramping around Iroquois lands, mostly to keep them distracted.

So a couple of notes from my game so far.

Wow there's a lot of money. I know this is a known "issue", I assert the dubiousness of its status as an "issue", but I still wanted to mention it. I actually had money issues that first time the Carthaginians invaded, I had to start rolling our huge numbers of units as quickly as possible; it broke the bank, burned right through my 2500 gold warchest, we bottomed out our research in the struggle to pay for the horsemen to fight the Carthaginians. It still wasn't enough, eventually we had to downsize the military in less strategically important areas. It was a good fight - a third of our population got pealed out from under us, I figure we *should* have been having economy issues right about then. We muscled through it. That was the last time we were strapped for cash, though. Lately, even producing between 3 and 6 units - mostly military, some naval - every turn, our expenses didn't even outstrip the rate of our income growth. Before this most recent war, we were making about 2500 gold a turn, with over 250,000 gold in the treasury (amusingly, we finally made it back on the "Wealthiest Civilizations" roster at this point, second from the bottom).

This most recent war has taught us where the limit of our economic logistical strength lies. We're losing money now - like a lot, over 1,000 a turn; it's mostly city maintenance. A few decades after the Ethiopian conquest, our armies were chomping at the bits to get out and get a little of what's best in life, so after a bit of preparation, I declared war on the next-largest empire neighboring us, the Japanese. (Meanwhile, I was preparing my navy for the amphibious assault of Hebron on the Isle of Israel). The very next turn, the Iroquois threw in with the Japanese, turning my invasion of the Southeast into a multi-fronted conflict across half the border of the Empire in the South-west and the South-east. Numerically, the game evaluated the military strength of the Japanese at this time as being about .3 of mine, and the Iroquois as .2; my main concern was that the bulk of my forces were stuck in the exact wrong place to respond to any expeditionary force from the Iroquois - but I decided to carry on with the invasion of both Japan and Israel as planned, and try to adapt as necessary.

We're a couple decades into the campaign now, Israel is down two of its cities out of 4, and Japan is very, very on the back foot - we swept through their western heartland with little opposition, several cities were garrisoned by only a few units or didn't even have enough defenses to require siege. When we reached the Southern coast - the farthest South any Mesopotamian has been, save Topal the Navigator (my naval scout, who mapped the coast of the continent several decades ago in preparation for our invasion). We split the army, we sent the bulk east to sweep along the coast to the mountains splitting Japan in two, then north to reconnect with Ethiopia. Resistance has been increasing as we go, but is still insufficient to stop our advance. The smaller force went west to take Nagasaki, which was separated from the main Japanese empire by a protrusion of Egyptian culture, a consequence of one of Egypt's many wars. We tried to talk the Egyptians into open borders, but they hate us about as much as everyone else, and refused so hard we knew we had one of two choices - violate their sovereignty through a declaration of war, or bring the navy down to travel over-sea. We opted for the former as the navy is busy and it would have been quite a long wait for the boats to arrive. So we're now fighting a 4-way war against every one of our neighbors, with 4 armies consisting of upwards of a hundred units between them. (We also have 2 groups of bandit horsemen in the field, t he main one a group of Steppe Raiders that had been terrorizing the Japanese quite effectively for a good long while, they were so successful they'd actually captured several siege engines and a fort to operate out of.)

I finally started losing money after taking my 7th or 8th city from the Japanese, we're paying about 6500 gold in City maintenance every turn right now. I'm not worried about it because of our tremendous treasury, it took hundreds of turns with 1-2.5k income to get here, it'll take hundreds of turns to burn through, in the meantime I'll be able to get out some maintenance reducers and stabilize the situation a good deal.

The AI seems to have a rough time, militarily. I'm not a wizard at Civ by any means, but I usually play on Emperor - I started this game on Monarch (I think? The one below Emperor) because I had no idea what I was doing. I've bumped the difficulty up to Immortal now through the BUG interface, though, hoping to give the AI a bit more a boost. I was really expecting some more opposition during this war, but they seem to be being totally defensive - I haven't seen anything like that stack of atalatlists that sacked Kis and Urim since the dawn of the Ancient era. Every now and again a few units move out, I killed them, with horses, and that's the limit of the enemy's maneuvering. Their armies seem to be totally tied up in their garrisons, and not fond of the idea of moving. That's not to say I don't lose units defensively now and again - the AI is decently opportunistic and is definitely taking easy fights when it can get the odds, it just doesn't seem to be able to logistically figure out fielding armies. I know they have the money, because apparently I'm poor by comparison; and they're definitely getting an offensive army out there from time to time in their own internecine conflicts because I've seen them shuffle around on the scoreboard trading cities.

I read around the forum a little bit about other people who'd seen similar things, especially the "AIs and the Art of War" thread, I'm not sure what to make of my experience in the larger context of the mod, just thought I'd share it, the AI seems like it's generally kind of a pushover right now.

Speaking of taking things from the AI, fixed borders. I actually really like the notion of fixed borders, they make a little more sense to me than traditional Civ borders, although C2Cs merger of the two ideas is... a bit odd in some respects. Mostly I'm happy with the way the mechanic works, but having fought two empires using a Fixed Border civic now, I definitely think a modification of the way conquered cities are handled would be a good idea. When I conquered the Ethiopians, I conquered their whole empire in one go. Not because I'm greedy (I am), but because I didn't want the cities I was taking from them to starve, and taking the nearby cities was the only way I knew to fix it. Every time I took a city, the Ethiopian culture would clear out, leaving the surrounding land unclaimed, but the next turn it would sink right back in, leaving my new cities completely surrounded without tiles to farm, causing them to quickly starve. I discovered the mechanic where units can claim tiles shortly thereafter, and used it to claim a few strategic food-bearing tiles per city I conquered as a temporary solution, but I didn't want to fan out 9-20 units per city to maintain a production radius for each one, so I really had one option I figured: eliminate the Ethiopian state. We did, worked like a charm, so it's now my modus operandi. I would like to just take a bite out of the Japanese and sign a truce (they'd like a truce as well, believe me), rather than engaging in a decades/centuries-long total conquest of their 20+ cities, but I don't want to have to individually garrison each of the tiles around their former cities. Maybe a modification of the Fixed border mechanic where the 20-tile cross around a city gets an ownership change after the city is conquered would be appropriate. Or maybe I'm missing something important but obvious about Fixed Borders.

Overall I'm very satisfied so far. This is the game I wanted Spore to be, and maybe it's honestly the game I wanted Civilization to be, too. I do think maybe there's too many buildings. I refuse to micromange any but my core 6 or 7 cities just because there's so much in each one - I don't really want to interact with them every turn to tell them to build the outhouses and the hair salons - but that's fine, I enjoy managing delegation as much as micromanagement. The interaction between the base game's broader abstractions and C2Cs more specific ones are a bit odd, as well. I get the distinction between "Disease" and "Health", but it feels kind of wonky to manage both when the "Health" abstraction was originally envisioned as implicitly including things like disease and disease treatment/prevention; the same goes for education, the overlap between things that provide research and education kind of a nebulous line because original Civ4 rolled a lot of what C2C calls education into that broader abstraction. I enjoy the more specific and detailed systems, but I worry I'm missing out on enjoying the details because I'm delegating so much to handle the unwieldiness that comes with their trappings.

I'm also kind of wearing thin on the hunting mechanic. It was novel during the Prehistoric, and even Ancient age (especially I had a long euphoric period after I didn't have to manually walk all my animals home), but I've got 3 or 5 hunters now that are just set to wander around autonomously sending home a steady supply of animals, and it stopped being fun and started being tedious about 600 turns ago. I suppose I could just fire them all into the culture refineries, but... there's a part of me that can't do that - free buildings. I'm thinking a tweak of this system somewhere would be good. Maybe if the animals could automate their jobs? Like workers, click a button and have them autonomously walk to the nearest city where they can build a building and do their job? Or maybe tweak their custom buildings to be like their myths? You have one "Snake Pit" building built by a snake at some point, and then every other building gets a "Snake Pit effect" building. I'm not sure. It's just definitely become less of a gameplay mechanic and more of a chore at this point. I want to stop doing it, but there's unique buildings that can only come out of hunting, deer herds and poultry flocks, etc. Something to put this less and less in focus in later eras would help differentiate the Prehistoric/Ancient eras and move the game mechanically as it progresses chronologically.

Maybe those basic buildings "we have Chickens!" should be built automatically (similar to the vicinity autobuilds system) when a city is connected to your trade network after the Classical era starts. Since, you know, obviously one of the settlers brought some domestic poultry.

Speaking of Snake Pits, you can't seem to delete Conceptual Buildings, I'd like to be able to remove the Snake Pit from my capital because it's giving all my units built there -15% Capture Chance, but it's not a real building.

---
Post-script: I'm sure I have more commentary to offer from my experience so far, and I'm sure I'll have more as I continue to play, but I'm drawing a blank at this moment and I've gone on long enough. If you read all that you're a superhero (shoot, I wanted to say something about Cultures and Heroes); if you happen to be involved in this MOD's development in any way, thanks a tremendous amount, this is an enormous mod and I'm enjoying it a commensurate amount, you're fabulous, thanks again, thanks a thousand times.

End-script.

Last edited:
Good feedback! My wife, the creator of the Ancient Ways, particularly enjoyed where you mentioned how that played into the game in such a dramatic fashion for you.

I'm also kind of wearing thin on the hunting mechanic. It was novel during the Prehistoric, and even Ancient age (especially I had a long euphoric period after I didn't have to manually walk all my animals home), but I've got 3 or 5 hunters now that are just set to wander around autonomously sending home a steady supply of animals, and it stopped being fun and started being tedious about 600 turns ago. I suppose I could just fire them all into the culture refineries, but... there's a part of me that can't do that - free buildings. I'm thinking a tweak of this system somewhere would be good. Maybe if the animals could automate their jobs? Like workers, click a button and have them autonomously walk to the nearest city where they can build a building and do their job? Or maybe tweak their custom buildings to be like their myths? You have one "Snake Pit" building built by a snake at some point, and then every other building gets a "Snake Pit effect" building. I'm not sure. It's just definitely become less of a gameplay mechanic and more of a chore at this point. I want to stop doing it, but there's unique buildings that can only come out of hunting, deer herds and poultry flocks, etc. Something to put this less and less in focus in later eras would help differentiate the Prehistoric/Ancient eras and move the game mechanically as it progresses chronologically.

Maybe those basic buildings "we have Chickens!" should be built automatically (similar to the vicinity autobuilds system) when a city is connected to your trade network after the Classical era starts. Since, you know, obviously one of the settlers brought some domestic poultry.

Speaking of Snake Pits, you can't seem to delete Conceptual Buildings, I'd like to be able to remove the Snake Pit from my capital because it's giving all my units built there -15% Capture Chance, but it's not a real building.
Snake Pit should be a real building and you should be able to get rid of it. If you can't then it is a bug that needs fixing.

The whole animal thing is something that grew without an overriding design and so does have problems.
  • one modder wanted to have as much ecological variation as possible adding in animals with abandon. There are still some which have not made it into the game proper.
  • one idea was have Cultures linked to animals rather than resources but that requires changes to the map generation since the player and AI nations would need to be placed in the "correct" regions of the world at start.
  • one initial aim was to use hunting to simulate the "neolithic" burst of knowledge
  • one idea was to encourage exploration by allowing you to bring back exotic animals. This is still to be done. The idea being that animals from foreign areas (defined by your Cultures) would provide more returns than the local ones.
Before my previous machine took up smoking, really bad habit for a computer;), I had some Python which would make maintaining and adding the animals easier. I need to see if I can find a back up.

Automation is possible once the dll people fix the automation on missionaries and corporate executives and allow the player to have units on auto escort to protect them in wild lands. I did have this available for the animals and immigrants but people complained that the units would try to get to a city via wild lands and would get themselves killed. Without the automated escort that the AI has you are stuck moving them yourself.

Thanks for the responses folks.

Good feedback! My wife, the creator of the Ancient Ways, particularly enjoyed where you mentioned how that played into the game in such a dramatic fashion for you.

I really liked the Ancient Ways mechanic - I thought it was a really cool way to help civs differentiate themselves and encourage the player to specialize a bit more than they might otherwise have in the Ancient era. Personally, it really helped me focus my military doctrine, and encouraged me to lean a bit more into military play than I normally do. I was a bit disappointed to find there wasn't a similar mechanic for the classical era.

Snake Pit should be a real building and you should be able to get rid of it. If you can't then it is a bug that needs fixing.

The whole animal thing is something that grew without an overriding design and so does have problems.
  • one modder wanted to have as much ecological variation as possible adding in animals with abandon. There are still some which have not made it into the game proper.
  • one idea was have Cultures linked to animals rather than resources but that requires changes to the map generation since the player and AI nations would need to be placed in the "correct" regions of the world at start.
  • one initial aim was to use hunting to simulate the "neolithic" burst of knowledge
  • one idea was to encourage exploration by allowing you to bring back exotic animals. This is still to be done. The idea being that animals from foreign areas (defined by your Cultures) would provide more returns than the local ones.
Before my previous machine took up smoking, really bad habit for a computer;), I had some Python which would make maintaining and adding the animals easier. I need to see if I can find a back up.

Automation is possible once the dll people fix the automation on missionaries and corporate executives and allow the player to have units on auto escort to protect them in wild lands. I did have this available for the animals and immigrants but people complained that the units would try to get to a city via wild lands and would get themselves killed. Without the automated escort that the AI has you are stuck moving them yourself.

Sorry about your machine, that sucks. I do *like* the hunting mechanic, especially I think it helps spice up the Prehistoric era, in which you're really kind of sitting on your hands a great deal of the time, otherwise. I also think it helps represent how hunting was instrumental in bootstrapping humanity into establishing the earliest foundations of civilization, it's a cool mechanic, it just wears thin after awhile. Like I said, a little automation would go a long way to alleviating that in the later game, nice to hear you've got some ideas on how to make that happen, I hope you can salvage at least some of it. Another idea might be just stepping down the number of animals that spawn over time, so at the beginning of the game there's a great bounty of wildlife, and then less and less spawn over time, until eventually you have the vanilla civ. spawning mechanic where they can't appear in civilized lands at all.

I went ahead and double-checked the Snake Pit thing I mentioned - it definitely appears in the Conceptual Buildings list, and doesn't appear in the list of buildings available to be demolished. As you said, apparently a bug.

Last edited:
So snake pit should have some tech (Apparently its unlocked at Poison Crafting) and associated cost with it.
Buildings in conceptual tab have -1 cost. Things with -1 cost can't be removed by selling.
It can be placed by some subdued animals though.
Spoiler :

Civ4BeyondSword 2020-02-20 17-13-37-08.png
Civ4BeyondSword 2020-02-20 17-13-35-88.png

Last edited:
I was a bit disappointed to find there wasn't a similar mechanic for the classical era.
She has one planned but is afraid the rest of the team will give her blowback for it so she's not sure she wants to put it forward. She doesn't like to be criticized.
I went ahead and double-checked the Snake Pit thing I mentioned - it definitely appears in the Conceptual Buildings list, and doesn't appear in the list of buildings available to be demolished. As you said, apparently a bug.
It does that because it's a unit built building.
As I now see Raxo attempted to say in his own way.

It does that because it's a unit built building.
As I now see Raxo attempted to say in his own way.
Conceptual tab has nothing to do with unit placeable buildings, just that some units can place buildings, that can be built normally.
It always was container for -1 cost buildings.

It always was container for -1 cost buildings.
But most unit produced buildings are set to -1 cost so they can only be built by that unit.

But most unit produced buildings are set to -1 cost so they can only be built by that unit.
This doesn't matter for Conceptual tab.
All it matters is -1 cost and nothing else.

All buildings that you can see in Special subcategory on pedia will end up here.

This doesn't matter for Conceptual tab.
All it matters is -1 cost and nothing else.

All buildings that you can see in Special subcategory on pedia will end up here.
I realize that. But most unit builds are ONLY unit builds, thus, it's because its setup to be only accessible by a unit that it is at -1 cost and thus why it's conceptual. We aren't arguing here. I know what you're saying and understand it.

You should still be able to sell or get rid of it. Although you wont get any money. I suspect the Python uses -1 cost as the stand in for "wonder" which you can't sell. This means it is a very very old bug and we need a different way of identifying what can or can't be removed.

I suspect the Python uses -1 cost as the stand in for "wonder" which you can't sell. This means it is a very very old bug and we need a different way of identifying what can or can't be removed.
Not as a wonder but as a conceptual building, like autobuilds from crime and disease and such. Yes, right now the -1 cost is the determining factor on what a conceptual building is vs a physical one, and it probably should be able to use a different filter, though we'd probably need a new tag for it entirely unless we want a highly complicated filter that gets run thousands of times a round slowing things down.

The reason I was saying what Raxo was trying to correct me on is that by setting buildings to a -1 cost so that they could only be introduced by units, all of those buildings are being also considered to be similar to other non-construction based introduction buildings LIKE crime and disease autobuilds and such and as a result are lumped in as conceptual and can thus not be sold. And yes, it's due to a simplistic and overreaching filter method that has been a patch for not wanting to have to introduce more memory cost or delay into the system. But if it's THAT important to be able to sell off unit-only generated buildings, then we need a bool for building types that defines the difference between what can be sold/destroyed and what can't specifically.

The actual code on what can be got rid of is from v10 or earlier! There was only wonders and regular buildings. There were not even animal buildings! I suspect the code has not been looked at since and no bug like this reported. It just has something like:-
  • if cost == -1 then it can't be sold
This bit of code needs to be changed to reflect modern C2C. A new flag or something is needed, "Can be bulldozed"(?).

The Snake Pit is not a conceptual building it is a real one. But it can only be built by a unit. There are a bunch of these based on animal alone. It also means that this idea of "conceptual building" is also not right at the moment.

Yeah, "conceptual" may be wrong collective name for all -1 cost buildings, I'm not sure if @Toffer90 would find better name for them - he made this tab.

So there could be some tag for -1 cost buildings, that lets them to be bulldozed.
Of course they wouldn't give gold.

The actual code on what can be got rid of is from v10 or earlier! There was only wonders and regular buildings. There were not even animal buildings! I suspect the code has not been looked at since and no bug like this reported. It just has something like:-
  • if cost == -1 then it can't be sold
This bit of code needs to be changed to reflect modern C2C. A new flag or something is needed, "Can be bulldozed"(?).

The Snake Pit is not a conceptual building it is a real one. But it can only be built by a unit. There are a bunch of these based on animal alone. It also means that this idea of "conceptual building" is also not right at the moment.
You're right but my question is, is it really important enough to introduce more data consumption or time cost? Not like it would be a lot but either way it one or the other would be necessary if its important enough a distinction to make.

Then there's also the whole time investment into the project to update all buildings on whether they are 'real' (and thus sellable/destroyable) or 'conceptual' - aka, all the time involved to setup the simple bool tag and apply it across all the buildings we have. And is this of 'interrupt' what we're doing now importance?

I'm not arguing any points here, just wondering how critical we feel the matter is.

The code that determines if something is sell-able or not could check the iAdvancedStartCost, so if that is -1 then it can't be sold.
All wonders have it at -1 already and all autobuildings could be set to have it at -1 too, then all buildings with iCost at -1 that we want to be sellable could have iAdvancedStartCost at e.g. 0.

The code that determines if something is sell-able or not could check the iAdvancedStartCost, so if that is -1 then it can't be sold.
All wonders have it at -1 already and all autobuildings could be set to have it at -1 too, then all buildings with iCost at -1 that we want to be sellable could have iAdvancedStartCost at e.g. 0.
Would that not make them free for those who are doing an advanced start?

Another thought using either tag... -2 could be setup to mean destructable even though cost free.

Would that not make them free for those who are doing an advanced start?

Another thought using either tag... -2 could be setup to mean destructable even though cost free.
I'm not sure, may be that advanced start filters out all -1 cost buildings before applying the iAdvancedStartCost modifier to them.

Anyhow, something along that line, we should rather expand what our current tags can do in this regard rather than adding in new tags for something like this.
Either a combination value of two tags can signify sellable or a value less than -1 could be used.

I'm not sure, may be that advanced start filters out all -1 cost buildings before applying the iAdvancedStartCost modifier to them.

Anyhow, something along that line, we should rather expand what our current tags can do in this regard rather than adding in new tags for something like this.
Either a combination value of two tags can signify sellable or a value less than -1 could be used.
I'm sure that the filter kicks out from the advanced start object selection list anything that's <0 on the advanced start cost. Could be changed to <1 but then you couldn't set something up to be free if you wanted to.

Probably better to enhance the use of the cost tag, a little easier that way I'd think, since it's already filtering there and all you'd have to do is change the filter a touch.

Do we ever want something that cost -1 to be free at advanced start? Do we ever want something to be free at advanced start without it being given for free automatically without the player specifying that he want the free things?

Top Bottom