Civ IV will not load - _Civ4Config.ini file is installed as SHORTCUT instead of .ini

SuprVgeta

Chieftain
Ok this issue has me stumped. I just built a new PC and i'm trying to install Civ IV on it. (AMD 3200+, 1 GB DDR 3200, GeForce 6600, etc... the system can handle the game...) I just reinstalled the game onto my new PC and updated it to version 1.52, when I try to run the game however I get an error message like when a program crashes (asks if you want to send an error report). I am looking in my installation folder and i see that for some reason my _Civ4Config.ini file installed as a 3 KB shortcut file instead of the .ini file that SHOULD be there (when I double-click to access the file it points me to windows/system/control.ini as a possible valid link.... screwy). I have no clue how this happened, and I'm guessing it's the main reason why the game is not loading, as all of the other files appear to have installed correctly. So, can anybody post the original _Civ4Config.ini file on here for me to download and replace this corrupted file? Thanks in advance for the file, and any possible feedback.

The one in the program files should be a shortcut. However, it should be pointing to the real ini which should be found My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4.

I've attached my ini file but you'll need to rename it to .ini from .txt and then adjust the resolution (unless you also run 1680x1050). I tried extracting the default one from the cab file on the cd but couldn't get into it.

Although if your ini is missing I'm worried the folder underneath My Games might be missing totally :(

Attachments

• CivilizationIV.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 1,143
I am having exactly the same problem as SuprVgeta, all of the shortcuts point to files that dont exist on my pc. When the loading screen comes up my pc just freezes and I have to reboot.

Oetang said:
I am having exactly the same problem as SuprVgeta, all of the shortcuts point to files that dont exist on my pc. When the loading screen comes up my pc just freezes and I have to reboot.
Sounds like an installation errror, try reinstalling.

I have had the same problem, but once I run the game the 1st time, the files are created and there isnt any problem.

I had this EXACT same problem yesterday but I got it to work.

The files and directories in your my documents/my games/civilization4 directory will NOT be there until the first time you run the game properly (it works and everything). After that it will be there. My problem was that the game would just not start up and would always crash to the desktop after the initial please wait screen (wouldn't get to the all the inits).

All I did was create a new account on my comp that had admin status and installed it there. Under that new account the game loads up fine and everything but the old account wouldn't. No idea why, but it worked. Hope that helps you!

I tried creating a new XP account but I still have the same problem, there is no "My Games" folder created which contains the Civilization IV files. I tried manually creating it and copying the Civ4.ini file (renamed as .ini) that Iron_Monkey posted but now all I get is "Civilization DVD cannot be found - insert the correct DVD-ROM" message... I'm running out of ideas here... I've upgraded everything on this computer, ie: windows updates, bios, etc. I have uninstalled / reinstalled the game numerous times now, all with the same result. :crazyeye:

Ok, so here's where I stand: I've upgraded my computer, and I now cannot play the game. I get the "Cannot located CD-ROM" message everytime I run the game. I have read through the forums some and have tried using both Safedisc 4 Hider, and Anti-Blaxx 1.17 and 1.18 to try to get my legitimate copy of Civilization IV to work. I tried running the game without either of these "anti-blacklisting" programs first of course, so is it possible somewhere in the registry there is something that blacklists me from being able to read the CD? This is very frustrating... what exactly did 1.52 fix again...?

Had similar problem after putting in new patch over 1.09 patched game that worked pretty well. Got the loading screen then nothing. Uninstalled and reinstalled, put in patches in order, but nothing. Looked at installation and saw some old files, zlib1.dll for example that were still there after the uninstall.
Uninstalled again, moved my saved games, and deleted all leftover files. Ran a registry cleaner to remove every trace, and re-installed. Patched from within the game. Put saved games back. Works great.

Asus A78Nx-e mobo
Athlon 3000+
Asus 6600 GT 128 mb video card
1 GB ram
Game installed on separate drive with swap file set at 2048-4098

Ok I downloaded a program called "Registry Mechanic" and I fixed some issues that came up on a scan for registry problems which contained Civ4. I'm now back to getting past the loading box and getting the crash error. When I click on the details section I get this message: Any ideas on how to fix it?

P.S. - once again the "My Games" folder is not created, so I created it myself so that the links in the civ4 installation folder actually now work, and I also put the Civ4.ini file in there too, but I'm still getting the crash.

Well I don't know what I did, but I fixed the problem last night. I uninstalled the game for about the 8th time last night, and also deleted the XFire folder this time. I ran Registry Mechanic again to make sure that nothing in the registry was wrong. I just installed the game normally, and once again the my documents folder was not created, but I loaded a "mini-image" into daemon tools that I got from gamecopyworld instead of an image of my original disc, using that in addition to safedisc 4 hider i am finally able to load up the game. What a hassle...

I know this thread is really old, but i have looked around for other answers to this problem. I have tried everything, re-installing, switching users, creating folders in My Documents, updating all of my drivers, installing DirectX from the installation CD, using Registry Mechanic, but nothing works. i cannot play Civ4 on my laptop. Please someone help me, i am getting so frustrated with the send error message that prevents the game from even loading.

When i click the icon it opens up the please wait screen and then crashes. i dont know what to do, Please Help.

CivUser14

Top Bottom