WIN 10 Upgrade

Drakarska

Epic Dadness
Just a friendly heads up to all of you who were/are stressing over whether or not WIN 10 ( if your like me who signed up for the freebie) will work with BTS, I am extremely happy to report that it will.
I did a number of tests both modded and unmodded, and have had no issues what so ever. The only potential issue you may encounter is a slight slow down in turn times. To solve this problem, simply go into your settings and turn off all the app crap that Micro( insert dashing appellation of choice here)Soft wants you to keep on.
Since I really don't like having any of my info tossed out into the void to begin with anyways, this was a real no brainer for me.

Happy Gaming,

Drak.

Don't you mean downgrade?

:mischief:

(Good to hear the game works in such a hostile environment tho)

Are there any real reasons to upgrade to Win10, so does it offer anything special that Win7 doesn't?

Unfortunately yes. School district out here is setting up all comps for Win 10, so I needed to upgrade my PC in order for my youngest to be able to have all the things necessary for his school term.
As to anything special, I'm not sure. I'm still investigating.

Just a friendly heads up to all of you who were/are stressing over whether or not WIN 10 ( if your like me who signed up for the freebie) will work with BTS, I am extremely happy to report that it will.
I did a number of tests both modded and unmodded, and have had no issues what so ever.
There have been reports that fresh installation from a CD/DVD after upgrading to Win10 may no longer work, though.
Apparently this is due to the copy protection used at that time, and this copy protection is no longer given any support.

As far as I know the only way to avoid this problem would be to get a Steam version of Civ4 (which I don't want to do and therefore will stick with Win7 at the moment).

I've heard the win 10 upgrade really is free and also really isn't free. I read both sides of the arguments but when ahead and install it anyway.

I've heard the win 10 upgrade really is free and also really isn't free. I read both sides of the arguments but when ahead and install it anyway.

Depends on your view point. Yes, the initial period is free, but it's MS. Which means they want to control pretty much everything about your computer ( the EULA is ridiculous). My biggest issues so far is that you have absolutely no control over any updates MS wants to do. Additionally, it wants to override your settings and and give info to the web using whatever apps are available ( even 3rd party).
However, if your patient and read through a couple of solid tech forums ( CNET, PC World, etc), you can turn off a lot of these irritants and explore W10. I haven't had any real issues so far, but I've also made sure and checked out solid facts and info in order to make sure everything is ok.

If you want to play Civ 4 Vanilla or Civ 4 Warlords, you need the CD in the CD drive to play. Windows 10 will not work with those CDs, so those versions of Civ 4 on CD become unplayable.

Unless you are a Windows guru who is very comfortable editing the Registry, disabling Windows Services, finding ways to delete protected files, deleting Scheduled Tasks, and doing other such things to remove the likely hordes of tracking software and other bloatware that gets when something is offered "for free" (there's no such thing as a free lunch without strings attached), and you're willing to invest a lot of time to investigate how to stop and uninstall the junkware, you're probably better off sticking with your existing Operating System.

If you want to play Civ 4 Vanilla or Civ 4 Warlords, you need the CD in the CD drive to play. Windows 10 will not work with those CDs, so those versions of Civ 4 on CD become unplayable.

So does that mean we can't install civilization 4 and warlords to windows 10?
which also means we can't play BTS as well.

I believe there are DRM free versions available, complete or gold edition? ?

Sounds like win10 is not worth the bother right now though

The complete edition has no DRM, and I've had no issues running Vanilla or Warlords.

For someone like me, who bought each of the 3 versions (Civ 4 Vanilla, Civ 4 Warlords, and Civ 4 BtS) on CDs individually, your statement sounds correct. Of course, there might be a way around things, by first exporting everything related to Civ IV from your Windows Registry (the process would be time-consuming), backing up all of the installed files related to the game, then restoring all of the game files and the Windows Registry settings on the new Operating System, but I haven't tried to do so, so such a procedure might not work.

The real question is why would someone want to switch Operating Systems? If your current system works, what's the benefit to switching Operating Systems?

I will tell you that every time I ran a "newer" Operating System on the same hardware, the machine ran slower afterward, as each "newer" Operating System from Microsoft offers more bloat. Comparisons tried: Win 95 + Win 98; Win 2000 + Win XP; Win XP + Win 7.

Personally, I'd just wait until I got a new computer, and then I'd honestly still go with a computer vendor (such as HP) who is still willing to offer the Windows 7 option due to popular customer demand (you have to ask yourself why there is such customer demand and think about why people would want it, then realise that those customers are probably on to something).

Personally, I'd just wait until I got a new computer, and then I'd honestly still go with a computer vendor (such as HP) who is still willing to offer the Windows 7 option due to popular customer demand (you have to ask yourself why there is such customer demand and think about why people would want it, then realise that those customers are probably on to something).

I just bought two Win7 to have them available in case they stop selling notebooks with "downgrades" to Win7. My brother just bought a new notebook with a "downgrade" to Win7.

For someone like me, who bought each of the 3 versions (Civ 4 Vanilla, Civ 4 Warlords, and Civ 4 BtS) on CDs individually, your statement sounds correct. Of course, there might be a way around things, by first exporting everything related to Civ IV from your Windows Registry (the process would be time-consuming), backing up all of the installed files related to the game, then restoring all of the game files and the Windows Registry settings on the new Operating System, but I haven't tried to do so, so such a procedure might not work.

The real question is why would someone want to switch Operating Systems? If your current system works, what's the benefit to switching Operating Systems?

I will tell you that every time I ran a "newer" Operating System on the same hardware, the machine ran slower afterward, as each "newer" Operating System from Microsoft offers more bloat. Comparisons tried: Win 95 + Win 98; Win 2000 + Win XP; Win XP + Win 7.

One illuminating example I like referring to are specification requirements on games for Win XP and Win 7. Typically you needed twice the RAM to run the same game on the same hardware if you had Win 7 instead of WinXP. Seems to me somebody have misunderstood the point of an OPERATING system...

Unfortunately XP is outdated now, and it had its own problems ofc, but I preferred it over 7 (by some distance), never mind the carcrash that 8+ has turned into. So, sooo glad I finally managed to make the permanent switch to Linux, without all the headscratchers I had in previous such attempts.

:)

It is true that old software from the past won't work on the newer version of windows particularly software from win 95 or win 98 even. Win 10 is a free upgrade but all I also know is that win 7 or 8 also have a compatibility mode which adjusts windows to work with software that works on XP the earliest. Win 2000, 98 and below got left out.

new to forum here..I just upgraded to win 10 from 8 point 1 and was running civ 4 from CD really well. After upgrade the game tells me error I have to log in as ADMINISTRATOR. First of all I'm the only one on this PC wife has here own, so I have Admin with log on, I did compatability mode for 8 WINXP, and Win 7, all except win 7 give me the ERROR, With Win 7 compatability it just doesn't launch at all, I have gone in and verified "ownership" my right clicking on Fireaxes folder and going through security ... Advance....Sorry for the length here....Is my only option to buy STEAM version? (not a member) or just go back to Windows 8 POINT 1?

could I get suggestions/input
please and thanx

jim2112, which edition of civ4 do you have exactly? If its just vanilla or warlords, you are probably out of luck since the copy-protection was never removed officialy for those versions.

Thanks for the reply..

I have the 2 CD's in the case , guess that's vanilla? Bought the game when it first came out, Looks like its back to Win 8 .1 for me, I don't even have BTS expansion

It sounds like that is Vanilla. Before I lost one of them, I had two CDs for Vanilla.

One illuminating example I like referring to are specification requirements on games for Win XP and Win 7. Typically you needed twice the RAM to run the same game on the same hardware if you had Win 7 instead of WinXP. Seems to me somebody have misunderstood the point of an OPERATING system...

Unfortunately XP is outdated now, and it had its own problems ofc, but I preferred it over 7 (by some distance), never mind the carcrash that 8+ has turned into. So, sooo glad I finally managed to make the permanent switch to Linux, without all the headscratchers I had in previous such attempts.

:)

Does that mean that you have Civ4 working on Linux? While several of the newer games I play a lot support Linux, two of the holdups for me would be Civ3 and Civ4. Being able to play one (or preferably, both) of those reliably using Wine or the like would be a nice boost to the chances I could switch to Linux even on my main PC. As it is, I am looking at moving to Linux on my laptop, but plan to stick with XP on my main desktop PC and my older laptop since it works with nearly all the software I have (I have one program that requires 7+, but it also has Linux support on the roadmap).

And indeed, the low RAM usage of XP is still noticeable, even when using XP x64. Although in areas such as startup time, 8.x is noticeably improved, particularly if you have a hard drive instead of an SSD.

I have the CD and Steam versions of Civ3, and the Steam version of Civ4, if that affects compatibility. I also have ATI graphics cards (6870 and M7820). It's been awhile since I read about anyone trying either on Linux.

I don't know if it's still compatible if you use the steam (spit) version, as I refuse to use that piece of garbage, but I have it working on my end with Linux. I simply used an install script for PlayOnLinux and that worked fine enough, with one exception. I needed to install a component called msxml3 as "native". Without that there were occasional problems, for instance with Stonehenge and when getting the calendar tech.

I don't have civ3 so can't speak for that, but Civ4 works well, including for Hall of Fame play.

I use Linux Mint Cinnamon btw.

I wrote something about it here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13665133&postcount=124
That thread might be good to read in any case, but for me it was the msxml3 component that was the missing ingredient.

Top Bottom