Assyria discussion

Oh yes, seems like the UA would more function like the "steal tech" which makes it just way more balanced suddenly. But it's also a UA now that needs you to invest something to get a reward. It's okay, but I guess this will make AI Assyria a Hit or Miss civ.

Yeah, I just realized that as well.
Taiwanese does not translate well into English from what I know, so it is very possible the meaning is slightly different. This does mean that you won't get any more bonuses once you are the top research civ.

Finally a way to even the odds against fast techers.

Or be a fast techer yourself but find out what research path your neighbors pursue and focus on another.

Wogh.., is that the right effect?? :eek:
"Can be used only once per city." thing is not a big restriction IMO..
You can burn your conquered cities and let your enemies fill that land with new cities so you can farm that cities later..

You read from the description what they did to prevent exploits and immediately come up with another exploit. :lol:
This one is easily fixed: No stolen techs for razing, only for puppeted or annexed cities.

Wow. Assyria have just gone straight to the top of my most-anticipated list.

Are we sure that 'can only be used once per city' isn't really 'once per Civ'? That would make it a lot more balanced.

The language makes it sound like you get a free technology from the list of techs that that civilization has researched. It would be pretty unbalanced if you got a free tech for each city you conquer, but I don't think that's the case.

The language makes it sound like you get a free technology from the list of techs that that civilization has researched. It would be pretty unbalanced if you got a free tech for each city you conquer, but I don't think that's the case.

I think thats most likely the case.
Truthfully, I quite like this bonus, despite the fact I said I didn't want a scientific bonus. Its a UA which would significantly change my play style, and overall plan, which is what I think good UA's (like Carthage's) should do. Assyria will be the first civ I play, at least.

I know abit of Chinese (being Chinese myself but not ethnic Chinese Chinese) and i translate the UA as follows:

Upon subjugating a city, choose a free technology that has been researched by the city's previous owner. Can only be used once per city.

You read from the description what they did to prevent exploits and immediately come up with another exploit. :lol:
This one is easily fixed: No stolen techs for razing, only for puppeted or annexed cities.

You can burn the Annexed cities later right??
So, after got the tech, burn it.. :p

The Phrasing of it seems to point towards the effect only taking place if you annex or puppet(though im not entirely sure about puppet.) And i dont think you can raze annexed cities.

Kinda disappointed, as I think that UA would make a better Autocracy sopol.

No, unless I've been missing something, you gotta raze up front.

But if you're just yoinking techs off of another civ, the self-correction is the same as with spies. You'll run out of techs to steal.

That's why, in a sense, it's worse than getting a surfeit of research points.

In a way, it seems similar to Ethiopia's UA.

Ethiopia: combat bonus against bigger civilizations, lost when you're the big civilization.

Assyria: steal techs from more advanced civilizations, lost when you're the most advanced.

Ethiopia: combat bonus against bigger civilizations, lost when you're the big civilization.

Assyria: steal techs from more advanced civilizations, lost when you're the most advanced.

It looks like it will promote teching only one or two routes rather than balanced teching. Assyria definitely will be unique with ability.

You can, but annexing permanently increases the cost of your social policies. I don't know if I would make that tradeoff unless I'm really behind in tech.

A translated Firaxis press release, from some Taiwanese websites:

http://gnn.gamer.com.tw/5/78135.html

Siege Tower replaces Catapult.
Royal Library replaces Library.

Assyria trait: Treasures of Ninevah (sic)
Steal an enemy technology when taking a city. Can be used only once per city.

Since I think this only applies to researched techs, it'll have diminishing returns, but they're clearly the sciencemonger. I will probably want to wait a bit for an English source to make sure it isn't a translation error. But they almost certainly will be my first choice now (the only hesitation is I'd want to hear Ashurbanipal speak, but I can wait until game two for that).

I'm still guessing the Royal Library gets either culture or has Great Work slots.

You can, but annexing permanently increases the cost of your social policies. I don't know if I would make that tradeoff unless I'm really behind in tech.

Ahh right..
Damn that over-expansion penalties.. :crazyeye:

I'm still guessing the Royal Library gets either culture or has Great Work slots.

Or it will get Happiness bonus to deal with Unhappiness from annexed cities.. :D

That's an amazing ability. Rush crossbowmen/compositebowmen and neglect other techs and just physically take those other techs from other civs. Will definitely be used in multiplayer and encourage teching solely on one side of the tree (sort of what many people do already and use spies to get techs from other side of tree from other civs)

A bit, but the difference between tech and size is that the tech tree has numerous parallel branches to take. You can be competitive in tech, and still benefit by taking parallel techs that they have and you don't. So Assyria are free to beeline the military techs that help them conquer their neighbours and steal the cultural/scientific/navigation/etc techs they lack.

It is thus a little more versatile than Ethiopia's.

Given that Assyia already gets the Siege Tower to help them take cities, I don't think that they need more help or incentive from their UB.

Oh man, this is going to end up as one of my favorite Civs. I love trying to push muskets/cannon and here is a Civ that is practically begging you to do so. Once Renaissance hits and you get spies, you can just cruise through the tech tree while pushing artillery guns next.

Smallfish, where you at? Looks like you are getting what you want. I can see the AI running away with this ability. Depending on how siege engines work, it may be like Atilla where the AI will just roll over neighbor Civs without slowing down.

Assyria's UA looks pretty beast, especially for those of us who still have trouble with higher difficulties. Heck, I think it'd be pretty useful even on lower difficulties - it'd allow you to focus on one part of the tech tree, while roflstomping your enemies to get the other parts of the tech tree. I don't like warmongering too much, but Assyria's science+military combo might be pretty cool to try out.

I have a strong inkling that Assyria will be an instant favorite. War + free science? Yeah, that just screams CivFanatics, (and I'm not even a huge warmongerer)

Top Bottom