Mansa Musa rework for VP: can you help me make a custom civ VP-balanced approved?

Dragonfabri

Chieftain
Hi all! I have recently commissioned to the very talented @iskaandismet two VP compatible mods (will post their threads soon), and now i'll commission my very own custom civ mod!

However, before letting the work begin, i'd like the help of the VP modders to make it balanced.
I kinda hate the feeling of winning but "having cheated with a custom civ", so i'd like to make a civ that is indeed unique, but also universally recognized as "fair and balanced"

Balanced means: On par or even weaker than a VP vanilla civ, not stronger.

At the same time, i'd like to keep as many of the unique mechanics that will follow, balancing them numbers-wise rather than just removing them all together, unless absolutely necessary for balance.

Once we have reached a sort of consensus i'll let the work begin!

ALL PICTURES ARE PLACEHOLDERS SHAMELESSLY TAKEN FROM OTHER MODS FOR NOW, ALL CREDIT WHERE IS DUE
Feel free to contribute if you have anything that would fit!

STILL WORK IN PROGRESS AND SUBJECT TO RADICAL CHANGES .

Without further ado, here is my project:

CIVILIZATION: MALI
rzmn3.png

COLORS: Orange main, gold or ruby maybe is better than black as secondary.

STARTING BIAS: DESERT

LEADER: MANSA MUSA
download (27).jpeg

Unique Ability: Golden Hajj

-) Receive a free Royal Pilgrim at Sailing

Lore: Mansa Musa was coronated once his predecessor left on a great sailing voyage, but never returned.

-)50% of :c5gold: from :trade:Trade routes and :c5trade: City connection is converted to :c5faith:
Lore: The hajj was a celebration of wealth and generosity towards everyone met on the pilgrimage.

-) Cost of buildings doubled, but Investing :gold: pays for 90% of their :c5production: costs
To account for the policy that gives the other 10%, after which you buy them instantly!
Lore: "A mosque every Friday was built", but the Hajj also caused massive inflation, which means double costs.

Unique Great Prophet: Royal Pilgrim
240320.jpg

-) Each spread action gives 100 :c5gold: to the city owner
Lore: The Hajj is sharing wealth with those less fortunate in your journey. Yes, even your opponents!

-)10% towards a Great Merchant when spreading in an unowned city.
-)5% towards a random Great Person when spreading in your own city.

Lore: The hajj brought international prestige to Mali, and attracted the finest minds to its entourage.

-) Once expended in any way, +1 :trade:max trade route slot.
Lore: The Hajj literally put Mali on the map of venetian and european traders.

Unique Improvement: Suguba
Trading_Post_(Civ5).png

-) Can be built by Great Merchants
-) Replaces Town

It still counts as a Town for things like franchise bonus from Freedom, more yelds if a road is put on them, a trade route passes on them etc.
-) +1 :c5food: for every 3 Bonus Resources in your reserves, duplicates included.
-) +1:c5gold: for every 2 Strategic Resources in your reserves, duplicates included
-) +1:c5faith: for every Luxury Resource in your reserves, duplicates included.

Lore: The sheer quantity of Gold, Salt and other goodies made Malian Markets much sought after.

Unique unit: Mandekalu Poison Archer
images (27).jpeg

-) Replaces Crossbowmen
-) Obsoletes at Metallurgy

CHANGES COMPARED TO THE REPLACED UNIT:

-) Only 16 Ranged combat strenght compared to 19 of the crossbowman

Lore: The majority of infantry were bowmen who used Soninke knowledge of poisons to make up for their arrow's lack of force
-) Soninke Knowledge promotion: Applies "Soninke Poison", which works exactly like Greek fire. Lost on promotion.

4-UC ADDITIONAL COMPONENTS

Unique National Wonder: Masjid Djinguereber
IMG_20231119_151448.jpg

-)Replaces Oxford University

CHANGES COMPARED TO THE BUILDING IT REPLACES

-) Can only be built in the Capital
Palace + university as prerequisites.
-)No :c5citizen: population requirements, but double :c5production: cost
Lore: al-Sahili was given 12,000 mithkals of gold dust for his designing and building of the djinguereber in Timbuktu
-) +3 :c5faith:
-) 1 slot for Great Work of Writing, 1 slot for Great Work of Art, 1 slot for Great Work of Music
(+6 :c5goldenage: if themed)
-) Spawns a Royal Pilgrim instead of Great Scientist

Lore: The journey home of mansa musa that brought back the architect of this wonder and other fine minds!
-) +50 :c5culture: and :c5goldenage: every time you research a technology, scaling with era.
-) Removes trade route target restrictions on Empire

Like Venice UA
-) For every +100:c5gold: income, +1 to every Great Person per turn. (1% of income converted to all GP points per turn in capital)
Great Generals and Admirals included!
Lore: Obviously part of the Sankore University, but this one piece of it in particular historically attracted every kind of scholar, from artists to engineers to scientists.

Unique Unit: Farima
jBZiFCa.png

-)Replaces the Great General
-) Mansa's Will promotion
: When garrisoned, all units around the city (himself included) in the Leadership aura radius gain +1xp each turn.
XP bonus stacks if more than one Farima is garrisoned in the same city.
Lore: historically they were basically governors who oversaw the vassal lords, and always kept small trained armies in the garrison to "correct" any deviation from the Mansa's will.

Huge thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:
Oh by the way, THIS IS DEFINITELY SUBJECT TO CHANGE!
While i want to keep the flavourful and unique mechanics as much as possible, expect numbers or even features to be radically changed!
I'm having very helpful and insightful discussion on the VP Discord, and as expected there's a lot to change or fix!

Last edited:
Technically, a unique improvement doesn't replace anything. I think you need to make a UGP to create a UGPTI.

Instant buying buildings seems too powerful. Maybe something like building costs are raised by 50% and investing reduces production requirements by an extra 10%? The extra cost isn't entirely a bad thing since half of that money is going straight into faith. You also have to consider that there's another 10% reduction of build cost from investing in the industry tree.

Your points are definitely valid, a rework to simplify the civ is definitely needed, i'll update the OP with the "light" version, or should i just post it here?

Your points are definitely valid, a rework to simplify the civ is definitely needed, i'll update the OP with the "light" version, or should i just post it here?
Update the OP and put a brief new comment explaining what changed. That way the OP is reflective of the current status but there is a log of what has happened in the thread.

Updated the OP, i've basically reworked it, let me know what you think, especially balance wise.

-) Cost of buildings doubled, but Investing :gold: pays for 90% of their :c5production: costs
To account for the policy that gives the other 10%!
Lore: "A mosque every Friday was built", but the Hajj also caused massive inflation, which means double costs.
I don't want to be the party pooper but this is already the gimmick of the Nepal mod for VP I'm curating and going to update soon, so if you can substitute just that part I would greatly appreciate it. 😅

I don't want to be the party pooper but this is already the gimmick of the Nepal mod for VP I'm curating and going to update soon, so if you can substitute just that part I would greatly appreciate it. 😅
Hey dude, didn't know about that, sorry!
I'm still in the brainstorming phase as you can see, if you have any ideas to illustrate the whole "a building every week but the economy is fudged now!" let me know!

After thinking about it, I decided to totally change the design for Nepal and base the UA on something else so you can keep the building investments gimmick if you want.
I look forward to see your Mali released. :)

After thinking about it, I decided to totally change the design for Nepal and base the UA on something else so you can keep the building investments gimmick if you want.
I look forward to see your Mali released. :)
If you are changing it just for me, please don't. There's nothing wrong if two mods overlap in some minor way!
If you decided to change it because you found an even better idea that's another story, but don't sacrifice features for the saje of others

Don't worry. I just got few new ideas and switched focus to represent other aspects of the civ. :)

Top Bottom