Honor system to avoid clickfests

chumchu

Warlord
I mostly play MP with friends because I dislike the clickfest that warfare degenerates to in simultaneous mode. We use a honor system where you take turns doing the combat stuff while the other players micros his cities like this:

Game is simultaneous. You declare war and move/attack with units at the end of a turn on player who has passed. He can not react that turn. During the next turn, that player may move his units first and when he is finished he tells the other player or passes. The other player may then move his units. This continues every turn of the war. In case of multiple overlapping wars use reverse player order as a tie breaker.

This makes sure there are no double moves and limits the amount of time a game takes to a minimum as you can do non warfare-related things while you wait.

Do any of you play with a system like this? Do you see any flaws in the system? Would you like to test either now or if/when multiplayer becomes more stable =3 ?

Yes, we use similar system: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13152096&postcount=4

If we have wars including several players, we usually arrange the turn order so that attacking players are first and defenders after that, if possible.

The only major problem is that attackers always gets a slight advantage since they can move their units first, scout defender units and possibly destroy or weaken them enough to make defender unable for counter attack. Defender can't really turn the initiative, because defender never gets a turn where he can upgrade/heal all his units before using them.

This may cause players that would otherwise be defenders to do pre-emptive stike against the attacker, that could be otherwise thought as a sound tactic but can be most often only a declaration of war only to get the initiative over the attacking player.

Edit: We basically quit Civ5 multiplayer a year ago since Firaxis could not patch the game. This last patch did not make things better.

How about declaring war between turns and letting the attacker move first in the new turn? This will take a bit more time but it will correct the problem you had.

Like, who expects multiplayer to work on an AAA-title in 2014 X)?

Yeah, this is the "Gentleman's agreement" that I use when playing with my friends. So much better than units sniping your great generals, healing up between your attacks, or dodging out of the way.

I usually don't find it gives the aggressor too much of an advantage, since often the moves units make at the start of a war involve moving into enemy territory (and thus, attack range). It also feels kinda right that if you can set up a surprise attack that you should be able to benefit from it.

I'm also very disappointed that they broke multiplayer in the patch and that they haven't made the multiplayer AI active yet.

Top Bottom