Vokarya's Workshop: Units

I'm going to have to not use the Wagon that I was using. I was getting runtime errors on exiting the mod with the wagon in the units folder (even if it wasn't being called!). Fortunately, I picked up Colonization about a month ago and I think we can borrow the Wagon Train from there. I haven't tried it yet. I will see what happens.

I did some scratch work on an EMP Infantry unit. The purpose of this unit is to have a Transhuman Era upgrade of the Anti-Tank so that there is an anti-Dreadnought/anti-Mecha unit. Secondly, I want to give something to Wireless Electricity. WiElec is a good transhuman concept and I want to keep it; I am moving the Holographic Combat Simulator and Holographic Flight Simulator to Holographics, leaving WiElec with only the Power Receiver and +1 Commerce from Watermills. So WiElec needs another trick.

I don't have a model yet. I will go looking for one in the sci-fi mods.

Here are the base statistics I am looking at.
  • Base Strength 90
  • Base Speed 2 + starts with Blitz (matches the Special Infantry).
  • +100% strength vs. Tracked and Dreadnought units, and targets Wheeled, Tracked and Dreadnought. This allows it to match up with the tanks of the early Transhuman Era with an effective strength of 180. Plasma Armor is strength 180, Hover Tank is 150, and Stealth Armor is 140.
  • +50% strength vs. Mecha units, and also targets Mecha first. This matches up against the early Mecha units with a strength of 135. Assault Droid is 135, Power Armored Infantry is 120, Walker Droid is 96. It becomes obsolete against the later big mecha. Scout Mech is strength 170, Siege Droid is 175, and Assault Mech is 220.

Let me know how this sounds.

Makes sense to me.

I've been looking at the techs with 8+ tricks. These are techs that are far above the average and could probably stand to give up a trick or two if possible. I noticed a few units that have multiple tech prerequisites and while there isn't any redundancy, I think cutting the earlier prerequisite will make understanding the requirements more intuitive and give a better picture of what is actually achievable with a given tech.

Spearman/Horseman: These two units both list Hunting as an additional prerequisite besides Metal Casting/Horseback Riding. I don't think Hunting adds anything to these units and can be dropped, as Hunting is such a basic tech that players will pick it up well before getting to MC/HBR. I feel it artificially inflates Hunting's trick count.

Top Secret Agent: This lists both Aviation and Electronics as prerequisites. Electronics is Modern Era and has much more of an effect on when Top Secret Agent will come available, since Aviation is Industrial Era. Aviation is already loaded for tricks as well, since it is the main WWII airplane technology. It has Fighter, IL2, Paratrooper, Anti-Air Halftrack, A-Bomb, Military Airbase, and Willow Run. I don't think removing Aviation will have any major effect on gameplay.

45°38'N-13°47'E;14144181 said:
About Top Secret Agent, it has a paradrop ability, that's why it had Aviation, I think. Is it OK for you to remove it anyway?

I still don't think it will hurt anything. There isn't a formal tech requirement to make paradrops. I'm willing to bend the rules a bit for units that are national/world/UU.

Here is another possibility. Electronics tech currently requires Plastics and Radio. What if we replaced Radio with Radar? Otherwise you can start the Modern Era without getting anywhere near the end of the Industrial Era. This is not something I like. If we did that, then Aviation would be part of the requirements chain to get to Electronics and we wouldn't need it at all.

Related to that, I think Plastics should also replace Industrialism as a requirement for Consumerism. I feel like Plastics has been somewhat marginalized in AND. It only leads to Electronics, and it doesn't have a very high trick count. It's not bad by any means, but whenever possible, I would like to tighten the tech tree web just a bit.

I still don't think it will hurt anything. There isn't a formal tech requirement to make paradrops. I'm willing to bend the rules a bit for units that are national/world/UU.

Here is another possibility. Electronics tech currently requires Plastics and Radio. What if we replaced Radio with Radar? Otherwise you can start the Modern Era without getting anywhere near the end of the Industrial Era. This is not something I like. If we did that, then Aviation would be part of the requirements chain to get to Electronics and we wouldn't need it at all.

Related to that, I think Plastics should also replace Industrialism as a requirement for Consumerism. I feel like Plastics has been somewhat marginalized in AND. It only leads to Electronics, and it doesn't have a very high trick count. It's not bad by any means, but whenever possible, I would like to tighten the tech tree web just a bit.
Looks very good to me, I also don't like when you can skip half an era and get a next era tech.

Here is something else I found that needs a little adjusting. When it comes to placing units on the tech tree, I use the "one-third" rule. Divide the technologies of an era into thirds, and then place units so that a unit and its upgrade do not appear in the same third of the era. This is based on the locations of Arquebusier, Musketman, and Rifleman in the Renaissance Era. There is usually more spacing than that for a given unit line, but it makes an excellent benchmark.

The problem is that Advanced Rocketry falls into the Middle Modern Era. This puts two units closer together than I would like: Main Battle Tank/Modern Armor (requires Composites) and SAM Infantry/Mobile SAM (requires Guided Weapons). Furthermore, with all of its associated nuclear weaponry stuff, Advanced Rocketry has 9 total tricks (8 major, 2 minor) and could stand to be brought down a little.

So I would like to do the following:
  • Move Main Battle Tank to Laser + Mechanized Warfare. (MW is not on the path to Laser and is needed to handle building any kind of tank unit beyond the Early Tank.)
  • Move SAM Infantry to Jet Propulsion.

This will make these units last a little longer on the battlefield without being eclipsed and bring AR down.

I noticed a couple of other things with this mod that I would like to take care of in my next build.

1. Animal units are currently eligible for a lot of promotions. The only Animal units we have in the mod are wild animals and Captured Animals. Captured Animals can't attack and shouldn't be in a position to gain experience. I think we should purge all promotions from being open to Animal units. I think this is left over from when there were Dog units in previous versions of the mod. I don't see a reason for the Dog units ever to come back, and if necessary, the promotion eligibility can be put back in a module.

2. This is something I am just considering and will probably not do right now. I am somewhat concerned about how much stress this mod might be putting on the game engine. I occasionally get runtime errors when exiting the mod. I am not sure if it is something in the mod or it is something from loading and unloading lots of mods rapidly. I am hunting for graphics right now for the EMP Infantry.

Would there be a major problem if we had the Advanced Nukes that are not used in-game to be switched over to the ICBM art definition? This would mean that all of those nukes would have the same icon and model, and the unique art definitions could be deleted. I would probably leave the unit models in the FPK's, but the art definitions would be removed completely.

Go for it.

What about commenting out those lines for nukes and changing them with default art? That way they could be restored easily enough for people who still like those nukes. Especially if you leave the graphics in FPK files.

45°38'N-13°47'E;14152550 said:
What about commenting out those lines for nukes and changing them with default art? That way they could be restored easily enough for people who still like those nukes. Especially if you leave the graphics in FPK files.

I hate to leave things behind, even if commented out. It makes it harder to use other programs to analyze the files, since those programs can't tell the difference between commented-out text and working text.

I think if I eliminate some ethnic art definitions that aren't used at all - like ART_DEF_UNIT_GRENADIER_INDIA (as opposed to the proper definition, ART_DEF_UNIT_GRENADIER_INDIAN) or ART_DEF_UNIT_AFRICAN_INFANTRY (vs. ART_DEF_UNIT_INFANTRY_AFRICAN) - then I won't see the same problems.

I searched through all the science-fiction mods I have for an appropriate unit model for the EMP Infantry. This is the Transhuman Era upgrade of the Anti-Tank, to give you a unit designed to take out enemy tanks and mecha, and to give Wireless Electricity the extra trick it needs to stay viable. I settled on the Enhanced Bolter from Reconstruction. It has this really neat plasma/electric effect.

Let me know if this looks passable. If you can think of a better model to use, let me know that too.

View attachment 404051

I searched through all the science-fiction mods I have for an appropriate unit model for the EMP Infantry. This is the Transhuman Era upgrade of the Anti-Tank, to give you a unit designed to take out enemy tanks and mecha, and to give Wireless Electricity the extra trick it needs to stay viable. I settled on the Enhanced Bolter from Reconstruction. It has this really neat plasma/electric effect.

Let me know if this looks passable. If you can think of a better model to use, let me know that too.

View attachment 404051
Looks good to me.

Looks fine to me, too.

Are those Star Wars Stormtroopers??

They look good though.

For some reason, I honestly didn't realize they were Stormtroopers. I like the Trooper model from Reconstruction better. I just spent a couple hours figuring out how to edit the KF files to attach the bolter effect to the Trooper (we had the bolter effects in the Effects file, but we weren't using it for any units that I could tell). I think this looks even more appropriate.

View attachment 404087

Top Bottom