New UN Resolutions

Right now there are still a couple of useless resolutions; they're useless because they grant trade routes which aren't part of the game anymore. I'll try and see if I can change at least one of them to simply grant more commerce for everyone, and I'll probably remove the other one (open markets, IIRC). But I'm also thinking about new resolutions and I'm open to suggestions. Here are a few proposals, some are borrowed from civ5:
- nuclear disarmament, removes every nuke from game, similar to what Nanite Defuser wonder does.
- Ban a resource, using or trading a resource is forbidden, for X turns
- Financial help, larger civs spend part of their treasure to help smaller ones, kind of what redevelopment civic does.
- Embargo: stop trading with a specific civ. I'm not sure but I think this resolution is allowed for Apostolic Palace but not for UN, probably because target civs would always defy it.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Sounds good.
nuclear disarmament, removes every nuke from game, similar to what Nanite Defuser wonder does.
I basically don't like it for reailsm reasons (I think it is quite obvious that such a thing will never happen) but from a gameplay perspective... well... why not?
Ban a resource, using or trading a resource is forbidden, for X turns
And why is that good?:confused:
I simply don't get the point?
Financial help, larger civs spend part of their treasure to help smaller ones, kind of what redevelopment civic does.
Would limit that for X turns too. C'os what if larger civ becomes smaller and vice versa?
Embargo: stop trading with a specific civ. I'm not sure but I think this resolution is allowed for Apostolic Palace but not for UN, probably because target civs would always defy it.
:yup: good

Idea:
World Government
Kinda similar to diplomatic victory in philosophy.
Civs vote for a "World leader". Civ getting the highest vote (at least 66% or 75% of total) gets the "Right to lead the United Terran Alliance" (or something like that. I can imagine a list of random names: Terran Alliance, United Earth Directorate, Global Defense Initiative, etc).
Civ voting for that civ to be world ruler will become his vassals (or even join the civ if they are too weak).
Civs voting NO (someone else) stay independent with a diplo penalty.

Just an idea.

And why is that good?:confused:
I simply don't get the point?

Your rival has a strategic resource you dont and you dont want him using it perhaps? Doesnt seem like somthing that would see much practical use though in most cases.

Your rival has a strategic resource you dont and you dont want him using it perhaps? Doesnt seem like somthing that would see much practical use though in most cases.
Think about stop uranium trading or lead which is needed for advanced nukes. You would effectively stop proliferation. Or rubber or oil products. I wouldn't make it available for every resource. Just some strategic one.
Also, I don't like the idea of World Government because it would be suddenly too unbalanced.
As for helping smaller civs, I think I could make it so that each turn there's a check on who is helping who: this way if a civ changes position on the list, it starts/stops getting help depending on how good/bad it performs.

An embargo on strategic resources, I would also suggest. Especially for uranium, oil, oil products and chemicals.

Furthermore, I would suggest three additional resolutions:
  • to block the production of biological weapons (the same like the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty)
  • to block the give away of military units to a specific Civ (weapon embargo)
  • to block the trade with technology with a specific Civ (tech embargo)

Biological weapons are also blocked by NPT if I'm not mistaken. If I ever make it, I would definitely try and include strategic resources embargo. I also like the idea of units/weapons and techs embargoes, nice suggestions!

On a side note: did it EVER happen to anyone that UN votes or give you the ability to propose an embargo or force war? I think I've never seen this choice and I think it probably doesn't work for UN (it works for AP). I've seen the resolution to assign a city to another civ, it's rare with UN because it only works with Voting Members (not Full Members), i.e. civs that have defied a resolution and made it fail when it would have passed otherwise. The same should happen with embargo or force war, but I've never seen it happening, so I'm starting to think that part of the code doesn't work. Does anybody have a different experience in this sense?

OK, probably very few people make it to modern Era. Anyway embargo and declare war resolutions don't show up because they don't work. I'm working on fixing it.
Also I've made Open Marktes to give +10% Foreign Connectedness Commerce, since trade router aren't in the game anymore. Also I'm removing Single Currency for the same reason, I'm planning on replacing it with a World Food Program resolution which should add +1 Food to starving cities in exchange for some reduced gold/commerce.
What do you think?

I like the idea of trading :food: (tough I would be more happy if it was a general concept not limited to UN, but... never mind)
I like the idea :)

An other god/bad idea:
UN Peacekeeping Troops
I'm thinking about gifting units to the weakest/weaker civs but not sure what the best mechanic would be. I think that the gifted units should not cause financial problem to these small civs, but their maintenance should go for the larges civs.

I like the idea of trading :food: (tough I would be more happy if it was a general concept not limited to UN, but... never mind)
I like the idea :)

An other god/bad idea:
UN Peacekeeping Troops
I'm thinking about gifting units to the weakest/weaker civs but not sure what the best mechanic would be. I think that the gifted units should not cause financial problem to these small civs, but their maintenance should go for the larges civs.
There was a time when UN peacekeeping forces were included in RoM but we've removed them ages ago, but there are still traces in civilopedia. There were only defensive, hidden nationality units but for many reasons the concept doesn't work.

45°38'N-13°47'E;14131445 said:
There was a time when UN peacekeeping forces were included in RoM but we've removed them ages ago, but there are still traces in civilopedia. There were only defensive, hidden nationality units but for many reasons the concept doesn't work.

I know about that. So I thought about a different concept that would be working, like gifting these civs some of the best defensive units of the time, X/city and the larger civs would pay the construction cots ing gold.
I don't want to introduce new units, just gifting existing ones.

I too like the idea of units/weapons embargoes and techs embargoes. I also like the world food program idea.

In 1962, during the Cuban missile crisis, the US did two things at the United Nations:
1. Revealed the positions of Soviet missile sites in Cuba
2. Called for a UN resolution requiring the removal of those missiles from Cuba

For 1. would it be possible to temporarily reveal the plans for a target civ to all members? (same as stealing plans via espionage) This would mainly benefit the human player(s), but could be a good alternative to using spies to accomplish the same thing.

For 2. you could cancel all open borders or right of passage agreements between one civ and another, or if that is too difficult, just cancel open borders and right of passage with the target civ and all civs. I think there's already a stop trading option in Apostolic Palace that also cancels Open Borders. I wouldn't want to stop trading though, just ban foreign troops.

You've already got spy and ambassador for #1, and I think that's enough.
I'm thinking about trade embargo because option is there for AP but it doesn't work with UN (have to check if it works with AP too, to tell the truth).

Not sure if this is the topic, but...Does the resolution that gives +10% foreign connectedness work even when you're under Protectionism?

Adv Diplo 2 might have some things your group is looking for.
Thanks, there are some good ideas. I like resource ban and something else, I'll have a deeper look when I have some time.

Top Bottom