Ghandi- what is he good for, now?

12 Unhappiness per city? How are you going to be able to handle that during the majority of the game?

12 Unhappiness per city? How are you going to be able to handle that during the majority of the game?

8 social policies gives
Aristocracy +1
Meritocracy +1 (Edit actually about ~+1.5)
Military code +1
Edit Forgot about Professional Army that turns walls and castles into +1 happy.

On starting a religion
Goddess of love +1
Ceremonial Burial +1
Religious centre + Temple +2

Buildings
Temple above
Colosseum +2
Edit: Wall, Castle above

That’s 9 by classical which gives parity with other civs now any further sources of happiness gains an extra population compared with other civs.

Then during Renaissance

Theater +3

Total = +12 happiness. (Edit 14 happy with Pro Army so size 16)

War elephants should replace archer.
I never build them because you lose being a ranged unit when you upgrade.
Another reason not to build is being mounted they are weak against spearmen too.
Maybe it would be overdoing it, but a +1 movement archer which keeps its +1 movement on upgrade. Or a stronger special ability would be to allow move after attack (without the extra movement point). Again, to be carried across to upgrades.

For UA you could just go to unhappiness from cities is halved. (which is essentially the same as +happiness per city) Nothing more. If happiness bonus is going to be useful you need it early on in the game.

UB could be buffed in lots of ways. Simplest would be to remove the technology requirement for the gold bonus. Another would be to make the UB based on walls so you get it much earlier. Stronger city walls might be handy on some of the higher difficulty levels. Or you could give it something a bit more bizarre like an extra city attack, or double city regeneration.

It is quite a shame. I used to play India when vanilla was released - and back in those days happiness seemed a bit harder to come by as the game progressed, so he was not great, but worthy to be played.

When they reworked happiness with the vanilla patch, I felt that he lost a lot of appeal, and with G&K, I really see no reason to pick him anymore. You will drown in happiness - even when playing ICS - from the medieval age onwards. The only happiness problems in G&K are during the early game - and Indias UA makes it worse. So actually it now feels like playing india has a handicap instead of an advantage from it's UA... :(

Plus: His grassland bias SUCKS. A mix of plains and grassland is usually a lot better to get some additional hammers early on. Plus: The map generator seems to put some extra food ressources if you start in a low-food area, so it feels like this is ANOTHER handicap...

Half way though a game as Ghandi (Emperor Huge Pangaea) seems to be going OK.

The basic premise is to play tall while leveraging happiness for population growth as much as possible.

So build farm improvement, mostly use food focus for governor if you use that. And don't put any cap on city growth. You want all your cities as tall as possible.

Prioritise buildings that give food and happiness. Happiness is twice as useful to India as other civs as long as it is used for population growth rather than GAs. Similarly choose wonders, social policies and religious traits that improve happiness and city growth.

Don't let happiness get too high, keep it as close to ten without dropping below. My strategy was to get a new city as soon as happiness got to large teens. Placing them to maximise food (and happiness) over other resources, starting a war if necessary.

The end result is that India can support a population much higher than the other civs. You can then use that population to win in your favourite fashion.

Disclaimer this is the first G&K game I have played so can't really compare with G&K games with other civs.

The way to think of the G&K changes is that happiness is twice as useful to India as other cives, so by increasing sources of happiness G&K make India's even trait more useful. But only if happiness is utilised to its fullest extent to increase. population

But the thing is: You will be swimming in happiness during mid and late game anyway. It's the early game that is the problem, and here India performs worse. :(

But the thing is: You will be swimming in happiness during mid and late game anyway. It's the early game that is the problem, and here India performs worse. :(

I think you catch up quite quickly, around the time your capital gets to size ten. Admittedly you then need to overtake them to make up for not having any other UA.

I am suggesting a tall then wide strategy where your main focus is city growth then keeping your happiness low while simultaneously maximising your sources of happiness. Maybe you are swimming in happiness because you are not focusing enough on city growth or you are not aggressively moving to build or capture a new city whenever your happiness slips upwards. If you are out of space for new cities then you are committed to starting a war. Admittedly this might be difficult on some maps, try playing on a huge pangaea and see how it goes.

Top Bottom