Why is the AI so peaceful?

Question

King
I almost never see the AI war against each other, even if they are aggressive leaders like caesar.

What usually happens is that two AI civs declare war, theres a bit of inconclusive fighting, then a white peace is signed. Rinse and repeat every time the peace treaty expires. For example, celts and iroquis have been going at each other for more than a 100 turns like that...meanwhile, denmark is sitting on the sidelines, just watching, instead of coming in and attacking one of them when they are distracted.

The AI almost never declares war on me either, even if my military strength is a fraction of theirs.

Why does this happen?

What difficulty do you play on?In most games I play on Prince someone just about always attacks me at some point.

I play on Prince. Maybe the AI is scared of my city state allies? Even though CS dont really help out in a war...(unless they are blocking the AI).

I don't really know, but I think they may be more aggressive on the higher levels.

They're definitely more aggressive on King and Emperor (especially Emperor) than they are on Prince. It could just be that the bonuses they get make them more likely to attack, but either way the effect is the same. Try it.

It really depends. If you have several warmonger AIs like Aztec, Germany, Greece then you will have plenty of action. If it's people like Inca, Netherlands, Ethiopia, then you can expect some semblance of peace. I'm tempted to say this is attributable to levels but after seeing MDJ's Babylon Deity LP I'm quite sure that they behave in a rather predicable way.

In addition to the usual aggression settings the AI gets a war declaration debuff on the lower skill levels - so even if the AI thinks that it is a 100% good idea to declare war on you the debuff comes along and drops that by say 20%. On Settler I believe the war debuff is a full 100%, so no matter how good a target and how angry the AI is with you it will never declare war unless the game rules force it to.

AIs will only DOW if they have stronger military number (in the advisor/demographics screen). On higher difficulties they start with a lot more units than you do and thus on Immortal it's common to get DOW around T50ish, with Deity as early as T30?

Another way is that if you know that 2 AI's really hate each other (probably neighbors or really agressive civs), then you can bribe one of them with some cash for them to go to war with each other.
This is really handy in the early game at higher difficulties because it's (usually) 2 less people you have to worry about

It really depends. If you have several warmonger AIs like Aztec, Germany, Greece then you will have plenty of action. If it's people like Inca, Netherlands, Ethiopia, then you can expect some semblance of peace. I'm tempted to say this is attributable to levels but after seeing MDJ's Babylon Deity LP I'm quite sure that they behave in a rather predicable way.

My current game has 3 continents:
Me: Greeks (The smallest and the midsized continent are mine now)
The civs left: Japan, Siam, Germany, Aztechs, and Romans.

THe japs have almost knocked out SIam (2 cities), the Aztechs and the germans have effectively knocked out the romans (1 city). The three effective civs go at it from time to time as well.

Me I took out the Byzantines, the Austians, the Indians, and the Iriqios (who had the unfortunate luck to start on the same continent--it was too small). THis is on Warlord level.

Another way is that if you know that 2 AI's really hate each other (probably neighbors or really agressive civs), then you can bribe one of them with some cash for them to go to war with each other.
This is really handy in the early game at higher difficulties because it's (usually) 2 less people you have to worry about

I've rarely tried bribing, but that's mostly because when I have the AI took the bribe and declared peace at the first opportunity - getting friendly with a civ and denouncing its neighbour is my favoured way of prompting war (or later in the game, by sharing intrigue). But AIs rarely seem to do significant damage to one another early in the game and aren't always loath to enter into additional conflicts with a war ongoing.

And in my games (Emperor, Immortal and Deity - usually Immortal) there are usually early wars, generally between two AIs; in my first Deity game Montezuma asked me to declare on Askia almost as soon as I'd met him, and when I declined went to war anyway. The Ottomans piled in soon afterwards (the fun of having three warmongers as your closest neighbours).

I almost never see the AI war against each other, even if they are aggressive leaders like caesar.

What usually happens is that two AI civs declare war, theres a bit of inconclusive fighting, then a white peace is signed. Rinse and repeat every time the peace treaty expires. For example, celts and iroquis have been going at each other for more than a 100 turns like that...meanwhile, denmark is sitting on the sidelines, just watching, instead of coming in and attacking one of them when they are distracted.

The AI almost never declares war on me either, even if my military strength is a fraction of theirs.

Why does this happen?

I'm currently on emperor level and I always play large maps with raging barbarians. I don't think one game has gone by without a news report "an unmet civilization has lost its capital. There are currently 10 (or whatever) civilizations who still their capital," something like that anyway. I've seen battles on my border where AIs are duking it out and loosing cities badly, and I'm glad it's not me, although it usually means I got one less weak and one more really strong AI neighbor.

I'd think there would be very little AI conflict on dual or small maps if you're into that size, but I don't know cuz I always play the largest map.

Hardly a sanctuary but deity is still a way more peaceful than in vanilla. I've played several 4-4 & 5-3 continental games where the 1st 100 turns were warless and everyone had DoF with everyone else. In vanilla I considered a game peaceful if I survived 60 turns without being DoWed.

Most likely something was done to scale down the AI's willingness to start a war but partly I blame the maps. With the type of maps the scripts are currently rolling it's just too likely that everyone on the continent has a nice starting position on their own. Since AI tends to build cities 4 tiles apart it may take some time to get a shared borderline. On pangaea someone will definitely start a war before T100 but nothing like in vanilla where DoWs were flying like pigeons in a city.

G

Hardly a sanctuary but deity is still a way more peaceful than in vanilla. I've played several 4-4 & 5-3 continental games where the 1st 100 turns were warless and everyone had DoF with everyone else. In vanilla I considered a game peaceful if I survived 60 turns without being DoWed.

Most likely something was done to scale down the AI's willingness to start a war but partly I blame the maps.

It's mostly the new modifiers, I think. In vanilla there was no "You have no contested borders" positive, and obviously no embassy modifier. On the flip side,"They covet lands you currently own" - always the main cause of early war in vanilla - seems to be less likely to lead to war by itself (at least immediately).

Well in my latest game, korea started warring on me in the medieval age. I managed to beat him back and take his capital. But as i was taking his capital, i noticed he had built up a massive navy of more than 10 turtle ships...which he was hiding, instead of using them to take my coastal city or my city state allies.

Meanwhile Arabia is permanently stuck on neutral for some reason (same continent) and the other civs on the other continent are really peaceful and not warring each other...

So ive been playing on king and all ive noticed is that the AI techs faster and builds more wonders than i do. That and they tend to start pointless wars with me that last 100+ turns till i get dynamite or quit in frustration because the AI just turtles most of the time and annihilates you with focused fire.

I dont see the AI actually making an effort to take each other out. Even if theres leaders like atilla or genghis khan around, they tend to be buddy buddy with each other or gang up on me....

For example in my last game, despite multiple aggressive leaders bordering iroquious, they mass spammed cities and expanded to the point where their religion is overtaking mine (celts) and i have the faster spreading belief and was spamming missionaries to spread it ASAP.

The AI simply didnt care that he should have been weak and open to attacks...

On king and above, you just need to be in the middle of the pack, when it comes to units. Of course one civ or another will try to attack, but you just build enough units to keep safe and upgrade them as time goes. Peace will come and you will be stronger, as the AI fight each other.

Deity is a different, mostly luck if you have enough units and the terrain is ok.

Below deity, you should be able to counter anything, maybe not 2 AI's at the same time.

I find the AI attack now and again even on Prince/King, which makes the game a bit more fun, so just wait out the right peacedeal.

Top Bottom